I’m having a hard time doing this on my own…

I love this discourse around 100k like 100k doesn’t make you rich in 90% of places on Earth.

What’s the point of making it just to say it ain’t what it used to be? I promise y’all there is more to life than big city USA.

You don’t have to get by. You can flourish if you want.

Even if you live in San Francisco, Miami, NYC or similar, 100k a year is more than enough for a single guy to get by unless youre hanging out with nothing but ballers with yachts and 1 million dollar condos.

Last edited:
$100K a year isn't gonna set you up for success if you're a single person living in a particularly high COL area. On LI that $100K is closer to $66K after taxes, and a decent 1BR is gonna run you around $2K/month not counting utilities. That's over 1/3 of your take-home pay and that's not even factoring in everyday expenses or other necessities. Really doesn't leave you a lot of wiggle-room for things like leisure purchases or vacations.

You can certainly survive, but saving for a major purchase like a house is gonna be a slow crawl and your expenses are only gonna increase from there. You really need a second income if you want to live comfortably on that salary out here.

i thought the trade off of living in those expensive *** cities is that you know you aren't going to be living in a particularly nice place
im using nyc as an example. everyone there knows they are going to live in a tiny ****ty place.
i think the expectations of how people think they should be living making 100k is wildly different from person to person too.

and it's hard to address the situation other than being single cause if you have kids your situation varies greatly

i would never move to a big expensive city. I make under 100k and can live comfortably with a kid. Visiting the big popular cities are fun but never have I thought I wanna live here.

$100K a year isn't gonna set you up for success if you're a single person living in a particularly high COL area. On LI that $100K is closer to $66K after taxes, and a decent 1BR is gonna run you around $2K/month not counting utilities. That's over 1/3 of your take-home pay and that's not even factoring in everyday expenses or other necessities. Really doesn't leave you a lot of wiggle-room for things like leisure purchases or vacations.

You can certainly survive, but saving for a major purchase like a house is gonna be a slow crawl and your expenses are only gonna increase from there. You really need a second income if you want to live comfortably on that salary out here.

So 2k a month plus utilities is like 30 grand a year if we are being generous. Theres a lot you can do with that 36k of extra money many people in NYC dont have.

100k is enough to live more than comfortably. I think the word youre looking for is sustainability and long term growth etc. But even then if youre smart with money its still enough. It depends on the lifestyle youre looking for.

i thought the trade off of living in those expensive *** cities is that you know you aren't going to be living in a particularly nice place
im using nyc as an example. everyone there knows they are going to live in a tiny ****ty place.
i think the expectations of how people think they should be living making 100k is wildly different from person to person too.

and it's hard to address the situation other than being single cause if you have kids your situation varies greatly

Basically this.

I thought those in cities like NY wanted to stay in those little apartments or with roommates to cosplay Friends.

But once again I don’t want those people in those high COL cities relocating more than they already have. I already feel like I’m paying too much for my 850 sqft apartment in mid a sized city.

$100k income in CA or NY also translates to less $ in LCOL areas for a lot of professions. So yes it's very relative

Granted you would still come out ahead after taxes in a LCOL. The main difference being what you're getting for $2000 in rent and of course the lesser barrier to home ownership

With that said you get what you pay for. I don't care how cheap it is to live in certain places :lol:

So 2k a month plus utilities is like 30 grand a year if we are being generous. Theres a lot you can do with that 36k of extra money many people in NYC dont have.

100k is enough to live more than comfortably. I think the word youre looking for is sustainability and long term growth etc. But even then if youre smart with money its still enough. It depends on the lifestyle youre looking for.
$36K really isn’t that much when you have to worry about food, gas, car insurance, student loans, auto loan, vehicle maintenance, and any other emergency expenses.

Realistically if you’re saving $10-15K a year on that budget you’re doing great, but you have to live frugally and make a lot of sacrifices in order to achieve that. That also translates to a minimum of about 8 years of saving for a down-payment and closing costs on a modest house that will only increase your COL further.

If I didn't have to pay for my 3 kids ... I would be balling on 85k here in NYC... Y'all be living way above your means and be complaining about dumb **** ..

I live by myself, invest every week and provide for my 3 kids off 85k...

I have a 6 figure portfolio and I stay fresh...

If I made 125k I'd have more money to do other things and be way ahead of the pack....

#ballingonabudget #getyourmindsright

$36K really isn’t that much when you have to worry about food, gas, car insurance, student loans, auto loan, vehicle maintenance, and any other emergency expenses.

Realistically if you’re saving $10-15K a year on that budget you’re doing great, but you have to live frugally and make a lot of sacrifices in order to achieve that. That also translates to a minimum of about 8 years of saving for a down-payment and closing costs on a modest house that will only increase your COL further.

it depends on everyones ultimate goal, if they have rich parents, etc. Too many variables. 100k a year in NYC is lower middle class-ish probably worse if you have children. But as a single young professional you will be ok. I wish I had that kinda money when I lived there younger. The struggle. :smh: :lol:

You realize how that strengthens my own argument, right?
U live in the hamptons or something? If your rich thats another thing i cant relate. Im talking about everyday folks.

I pay less than half what u pay and can be in midtown manhattan in 15 mins. Data points lol i forget what kinda geeks im dealing with on here

Context:

Globally speaking, earning more than $100k places you in the top 11.1% of the world's adult population.

Might be room for gratitude somewhere in that data point.

If we are talking the world its probably closer to 5%

U live in the hamptons or something? If your rich thats another thing i cant relate. Im talking about everyday folks.

I pay less than half what u pay and can be in midtown manhattan in 15 mins. Data points lol i forget what kinda geeks im dealing with on here
My bad, yo.

Next time we exchange words I’ll make my best effort to be poorer and dumber for the sake of relating to you more.

My bad, yo.

Next time we exchange words I’ll make my best effort to be poorer and dumber for the sake of relating to you more.
What u gettin offended for? U thought u had a deal or something?

Lol its ok to admit u got got and do better going forward. But if u wanna stay a mark in denial your exactly the type of person who messes it up for the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom