I’m having a hard time doing this on my own…

kingkoopa kingkoopa you’re one of the best posters on here and I thank you for opening up and seeking advice. I preface my advice by saying that my experience was pre pandemic and pre the insane cost of living, basic goods, rent, etc that we’ve experienced since 2020. My advice might not be relevant anymore as things just cost so much nowadays but these are the things I did before I got married to save money.

1. I limited all eating out to when I would take out my then girlfriend and now wife. Even when we went out to eat it wasn’t to fancy steakhouses or super expensive places. We had many a dates at Chipotle 😂

2. I bought a George Foreman Grill and learned how to put the cooking skills I learned from my mom to good use.

3. Grocery shopped at Walmart (other than produce) and went to Sam’s Club or Costco for bulk items like detergent, toilet paper, etc. I also only bought enough food that I was reasonably going to eat in a week to limit waste.

4. Since I don’t drink I saved money at after work happy hours.

5. I stayed in the cheapest/nicest apartment in an area I wanted to live. Where as most of my single coworkers lived in downtown, I found an apartment in the suburbs. Where I live families lived in the suburbs so I ended up saving thousands since my comparable apartment would’ve been way more downtown.

6. I was able to refinance my student loans mostly to get my parents out of being co-signers but it brought down my monthly payments to a more reasonable number. Federal loan consolidation/refinance was easier than private loans but that helps.

I didn’t and don’t have kids so this might not be helpful but my wife is a teacher and here are additional things that I’ve seen her single educator friends so (you know most teachers aren’t making six figures)

7. Live with roommates.

8. Get another job during the summer to stack up additional money since you get paid during the summer as a teacher if you choose to have your salary spread across 12 months.

9. Do a side hustle like DoorDash or UberEats

Was not expecting a contentious LI housing cost debate when I saw the thread jump two pages :lol:

aepps20 aepps20 post is gold for general guidelines.

I also think it might help to figure out what you are saving for and adjust accordingly. I think people tend to be more disciplined when they have a goal in mind (house/condo, car, eliminating a debt, engagement ring, vacation). Saving for abstract purposes (ie just to save) is difficult for some people.

Budget is important too. I know people who make good money but don't budget and spend like it grows on trees.

Creat a budget and track it. I'm sure after a couple mths you'll see where you can cut back.

For things like groceries, I always look for deals and sales. I use the Too Good To Go app as well. Buy fruits and veggies off there and freeze em. Same with bread. Has saved me considerably.

come to Houston and you’ll be good off 70

if you got kids, good luck.
Too many folks been moving to Houston, it’s on its way to being the new ATL… Look somewhere else for anybody considering there cuz that ship done sailed :lol: :smh:

And even 70k in Houston is solid but you still won’t be living the high life

Last edited:
It’s a lot of cities where you can get a lot for 100k.

Personally I don’t want y’all relocating to them and running up prices for us more than they already have tbh.

I also want WFH to be completely eradicated.
List the cities you thinking of, cuz I bet they all considered and in reality are lower tier places where you’ll have more bread but be still be unhappy cuz you in a bs place

I can move to Birmingham and live like a king…But I’ll be in Alabama :lol:

To each their own but I'm not the type to have a roommate to share expenses with and save money... I enjoy my privacy even if it means me paying all of the rent/mortgage...that might be the reason it took me so long to have my own spot but was definitely worth the wait...

List the cities you thinking of, cuz I bet they all considered and in reality are lower tier places where you’ll have more bread but be still be unhappy cuz you in a bs place

I can move to Birmingham and live like a king…But I’ll be in Alabama :lol:

Raleigh
Myrtle Beach
Richmond Va
Nashville
Austin

Just to name a few. All of these places you can find a nice 1 bedroom for less than 2k. Also you don’t HAVE to live downtown.

If you want a high rise apartment in downtown you’re going to be paying for that. You can go to a mid sized city, and get a nice clean and safe spot in the burbs.

But once again this all boils down to personal preference and what you enjoy in your life. I like nature, art, space, warm weather and good food.

My current spot we have a lake, that I take my dog down to a case of beer and I can fish the day away. I’m also 1 mile away from the biggest mall in the area, 4 miles from my job. Only draw back is it takes me 15 min to get to downtown.

Sounds to me like you boys are in need of 17 modern wealth creation methods

IMG_0755.jpeg

Raleigh
Myrtle Beach
Richmond Va
Nashville
Austin

Just to name a few. All of these places you can find a nice 1 bedroom for less than 2k. Also you don’t HAVE to live downtown.

If you want a high rise apartment in downtown you’re going to be paying for that. You can go to a mid sized city, and get a nice clean and safe spot in the burbs.

But once again this all boils down to personal preference and what you enjoy in your life. I like nature, art, space, warm weather and good food.

My current spot we have a lake, that I take my dog down to a case of beer and I can fish the day away. I’m also 1 mile away from the biggest mall in the area, 4 miles from my job. Only draw back is it takes me 15 min to get to downtown.
Yea like you said it’s all preference and lifestyle…For some ppl those places are slow and they don’t have a lot of the things available in other cities, plus Austin and Nashville ain’t for black folks :lol:…Living in any of those you have to travel to different places for certain things where somebody in a high COL spot can walk up the block to it …It’s all a trade off between money and lifestyle

And also starting salaries there are wayyy lower so as you mentioned before you gotta have something locked in before you move to a Raleigh or Richmond

Doordash and ubereats isn't worth it anymore imo. That hustles changed big time. They pay way less per trip than what they used to, and when you factor in gas it ends up being less than min wage some days. Gone are the days of making 1k on a weekend.
Government shutdown pandemic $.. :nthat:

Yea like you said it’s all preference and lifestyle…For some ppl those places are slow and they don’t have a lot of the things available in other cities, plus Austin and Nashville ain’t for black folks :lol:…Living in any of those you have to travel to different places for certain things where somebody in a high COL spot can walk up the block to it …It’s all a trade off between money and lifestyle

And also starting salaries there are wayyy lower so as you mentioned before you gotta have something locked in before you move to a Raleigh or Richmond
On top of not having the salaries like that, they deal with the same col increases like everywhere else.

If you’re someone that needs the fast pace of NYC or a D.C then it’s not much alternative to that type of environment. You’re going to have to pay the ticket to live in those places, it is what it is.

I mean what does a major city offer that those places do not have? Outside of just more people? Professional sports teams I can see that one.

Don’t get it twisted, EYE want less people moving to these areas. I just disagree that 100k only goes far in places no one wants to be. 100k is a lot of money in almost every city in America except like 4.

Downtown area definitely sounds dope... I remember going to NY with my friend and was saying I wish I can live here... He was like nah it's cool on the weekend to visit but rather live in the suburbs... Didnt really understand it at the time until later on in life lol...

Is (working)Ubereats and Doordash even worth it? I was told it isn’t even worth unless you have a fuel efficient vehicle. Ive been thinking about but I got 2 V8s…because ‘Murica.

Back
Top Bottom