I JUST BLEW MY FRIEND'S MIND VOL. GOD

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Originally Posted by OnTheNephs

Mo Matic, I like your style my dude. Yo there is a great quote i heard its from a Coptic Orthodox Priest in Egypt, (I am Muslim btw) but he said

"Just like the need to eat and drink identifies that there is food and water so does the need to find faith identify there is a God"

The need to find something doesn't justify its existence. Using that logic, the need to find a mysterious being in the woods identifies that there is a Sasquatch. Also, that's a terrible comparison because your body doesn't have a physical dependency on faith. People have lived without faith and made it to a ripe old age. That's a fact. No one has made it one year without eating. It's things like this that people say and they're marveled at like "wow, such a deep and wonderful quote." But in actuality it doesn't really mean anything.
The sasquatch thing really doesn't work, I'll explain why.

Basically, the issue of faith is one that no human does not go without contemplating, correct?  Everyone has a position on the issue, whether it be atheism, agnostic, etc.  And whether or not atheism is a "lack of belief in God", it is still a belief system one abides to.  Therefore, it's a method of "finding faith."

So it's just saying that because every human being feels the need to have a position on this pursuit of faith is proof alone that there is a God. 

Wow, such a deep and wonderful quote....
nerd.gif

Wow, this thread was Fail from the get go. Dude, you just need to let it go, you aren't ever going to change peoples minds because you feel they are wrong.

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

Wow, this thread was Fail from the get go. Dude, you just need to let it go, you aren't ever going to change peoples minds because you feel they are wrong.

I'm not tryna convert anyone....just expressing my opinions take it for what you want.

There are many threads on NT based on opinions I don't go into each one of them saying "you're not gonna convert anyone with your beliefs". I put my beliefs out there, some agree some disagree...let's have a debate.

Unless someone explicitly says...I'm trying to convert you, believe in what i believe it should not be assumed that those are their intentions. There is a diversity of opinions and beliefs in this thread...we aren't trying to convert each other I hope...we're just having debate and dialogue.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Mo Matic, I like your style my dude. Yo there is a great quote i heard its from a Coptic Orthodox Priest in Egypt, (I am Muslim btw) but he said

"Just like the need to eat and drink identifies that there is food and water so does the need to find faith identify there is a God"

The need to find something doesn't justify its existence. Using that logic, the need to find a mysterious being in the woods identifies that there is a Sasquatch. Also, that's a terrible comparison because your body doesn't have a physical dependency on faith. People have lived without faith and made it to a ripe old age. That's a fact. No one has made it one year without eating. It's things like this that people say and they're marveled at like "wow, such a deep and wonderful quote." But in actuality it doesn't really mean anything.

Basically, the issue of faith is one that no human does not go without contemplating, correct?  Everyone has a position on the issue, whether it be atheism, agnostic, etc.  And whether or not atheism is a "lack of belief in God", it is still a belief system one abides to.  Therefore, it's a method of "finding faith."

So it's just saying that because every human being feels the need to have a position on this pursuit of faith is proof alone that there is a God. 

nerd.gif
So you're saying if I were to firmly believe God didn't exist, that would prove God exists? 
indifferent.gif

The quote would make more sense and be more correct if it said "so does the need to find faith in God identify there is a God"; as you can see, now the quote doesn't refer to a characteristic or need universal to humans, making the parallel to food and water incorrect.

So really, not a deep and wonderful quote... 
nerd.gif

nerd.gif

LOL. You're making the argument that just because everyone has an opinion on whether or not something exists, then it does exist. How ridiculous is that? Is there anything else that works for? No, because that logic is completely flawed. Everyone used to have a stance on whether the earth or the sun was at the center of the universe. The majority believed it to be the earth. The minority believed the opposite. According to you, the pursuit of whether or not the earth is the center of the universe in itself automatically makes it the center of the universe. We know that's not true. And why does it automatically make it true? According to this logic, in history, since every person felt the need to have a position on their pursuit of faith whether or not the Greek Gods existed provided proof alone that all those Greek Gods do exist. So then using that same logic again, you should also believe them because obviously if everyone had a position on it, it must be true according to you.

I believe we are all god, if everything came into existence from one, then one is god. UNI-verse. I. Eye.

Originally Posted by Hugo

this guys a s s always itching for a religion thread.
Religious people lose sleep over religious debate.....this is why you think I create so many religious threads when in reality I don't.

Originally Posted by il prescelto

nerd.gif
So you're saying if I were to firmly believe God didn't exist, that would prove God exists? 
indifferent.gif

The quote would make more sense and be more correct if it said "so does the need to find faith in God identify there is a God"; as you can see, now the quote doesn't refer to a characteristic or need universal to humans, making the parallel to food and water incorrect.

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
I'm saying that since almost everyone feels the need to find out if there is a God or not, that means there is something implanted in us that makes us want to do so.  Some believe it's one of many evidences that God exists, because he gave us this want. 

You can take it for what it's worth.  I have no statistical or data to support this, and I don't think anyone does, it's just a thought.
[table][tr][td]
LOL.You're making the argument that just because everyone has an opinion onwhether or not something exists, then it does exist. How ridiculous isthat? Is there anything else that works for? No, because that logic iscompletely flawed. Everyone used to have a stance on whether the earthor the sun was at the center of the universe. The majority believed itto be the earth. The minority believed the opposite. According to you,the pursuit of whether or not the earth is the center of the universein itself automatically makes it the center of the universe. We knowthat's not true. And why does it automatically make it true? Accordingto this logic, in history, since every person felt the need to have aposition on their pursuit of faith whether or not the Greek Godsexisted provided proof alone that all those Greek Gods do exist. Sothen using that same logic again, you should also believe them becauseobviously if everyone had a position on it, it must be true accordingto you.
[/td][/tr][/table]
Again, to take your stance on whether the earth is flat or round, I guarantee there were people that said "who cares."  Right now, with scientific research going on a daily basis, the majority of people simply don't care.  Just like on the issue of the sasquatch.  There are people who just don't give a damn.  There is a lack of desire for knowledge and understanding.

I would say 99% if not most people have that moment where they say "who made me, was it by chance, or on purpose? what is my purpose here?" etc. 

Like I said above, I'm not going to go around and argue on behalf of this position, it's simply speculation.  The idea is that God made us with this want in us, but it's not like I can prove it quantitatively.  Just take it for what it's worth.  If you don't like the quote, you don't have to.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

I believe we are all god, if everything came into existence from one, then one is god. UNI-verse. I. Eye.

This like everything else said about God sounds deep, but at the end of the day what does it mean?

Originally Posted by il prescelto

nerd.gif
indifferent.gif

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
I'm saying that since almost everyone feels the need to find out if there is a God or not, that means there is something implanted in us that makes us want to do so.  Some believe it's one of many evidences that God exists, because he gave us this want. 

You can take it for what it's worth.  I have no statistical or data to support this, and I don't think anyone does, it's just a thought.
[table][tr][td]
LOL.You're making the argument that just because everyone has an opinion onwhether or not something exists, then it does exist. How ridiculous isthat? Is there anything else that works for? No, because that logic iscompletely flawed. Everyone used to have a stance on whether the earthor the sun was at the center of the universe. The majority believed itto be the earth. The minority believed the opposite. According to you,the pursuit of whether or not the earth is the center of the universein itself automatically makes it the center of the universe. We knowthat's not true. And why does it automatically make it true? Accordingto this logic, in history, since every person felt the need to have aposition on their pursuit of faith whether or not the Greek Godsexisted provided proof alone that all those Greek Gods do exist. Sothen using that same logic again, you should also believe them becauseobviously if everyone had a position on it, it must be true accordingto you.
[/td][/tr][/table]
Again, to take your stance on whether the earth is flat or round, I guarantee there were people that said "who cares."  Right now, with scientific research going on a daily basis, the majority of people simply don't care.  Just like on the issue of the sasquatch.  There are people who just don't give a damn.  There is a lack of desire for knowledge and understanding.

I would say 99% if not most people have that moment where they say "who made me, was it by chance, or on purpose? what is my purpose here?" etc. 

Like I said above, I'm not going to go around and argue on behalf of this position, it's simply speculation.  The idea is that God made us with this want in us, but it's not like I can prove it quantitatively.  Just take it for what it's worth.  If you don't like the quote, you don't have to.

No, there's nothing implanted in us that makes us want to find out if there is a God. You can find people that have no desire to find out if there is a God or not.

I give all praise and glory to Jesus Christ. I'm not here to debate anything but your question blew the mind of a novice in whatever faith he claimed. I've noticed that there has been a huge attack on "religion" as of late based on people who dont faithfully follow what they say they believe. No matter what, God gets people through the pain and suffering caused by man or nature. In Haiti their faith is keeping their spirit strong which supports the body. Man needs to recognize the importance of God. I'll stand strong in the faith forever even if it means death. Then we'll see.

You're a smart dude.
I've came to the point to where i can not stand religion (all of it) one bit. Lost a group friends who i'd been hanging out with since last year because they found out i was atheist, and my parents saying they were 'ashamed' at my brother for being homosexual because it's not "right" like their god told them it wasn't. Sucks for me, but oh well i have to deal with that ridiculous nonsense

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Religious people lose sleep over religious debate.....this is why you think I create so many religious threads when in reality I don't.
I think the fact that society has made it taboo to even question religion makes religious people quite upset when you question their God.
But why should it be immune to any discussion? I think it's perfectly fine to question the existence of a god, especially when there is no clear evidence
of a God, but then again proponents of religion will say you can't disprove that there isn't one.

But like I said this is certainly a perfectly fine topic for debate, and it's really an important one.

Originally Posted by blackxme

I think the fact that society has made it taboo to even question religion makes religious people quite upset when you question their God.
But why should it be immune to any discussion? I think it's perfectly fine to question the existence of a god, especially when there is no clear evidence
of a God, but then again proponents of religion will say you can't disprove that there isn't one.

But like I said this is certainly a perfectly fine topic for debate, and it's really an important one.
I would argue contrary.  I believe the a majority of the Western World has lost it's religion, but that's just me. 

If I am ever going to get angry over a religious debate, it'll be for lack of sensitivity of the issue, i.e. mudslinging.  There should absolutely be an honest discussion, but you (not you specifically, in general) have to recognize religion as an inherently sensitive topic. 

Your talking about a belief system people base their entire lives around, so it should be surprising that any discussion will require a heightened level of sensitivity.

I would argue contrary.  I believe the a majority of the Western World has lost it's religion, but that's just me. 

If I am ever going to get angry over a religious debate, it'll be for lack of sensitivity of the issue, i.e. mudslinging.  There should absolutely be an honest discussion, but you (not you specifically, in general) have to recognize religion as an inherently sensitive topic. 

Your talking about a belief system people base their entire lives around, so it should be surprising that any discussion will require a heightened level of sensitivity.

I feel the same about the Western (America) World.

Originally Posted by BlocStarr2006

I feel the same about the Western (America) World.

I should of been specific, America is certainly extremely religious, after all we are identified as a christian nation. But yes most of Europe is secular.

I realize that it is a sensitive subject, essentially when an athiest( like myself) debates with someone who is highly religious, you're pretty much telling someone that everything they believe in
is false. A lot of people base their lives on their religion, so I completely understand that it's a sensitive topic.

But I don't think there is a nice to way to tell someone, " Listen, your system of beliefs is all rubbish", people are going to get upset whether you tell them in a polite way or in an aggressive tone.
There's really no way around offending someone who believes in some deity.

Originally Posted by Air ih Zona

You're a smart dude.
I've came to the point to where i can not stand religion (all of it) one bit. Lost a group friends who i'd been hanging out with since last year because they found out i was atheist, and my parents saying they were 'ashamed' at my brother for being homosexual because it's not "right" like their god told them it wasn't. Sucks for me, but oh well i have to deal with that ridiculous nonsense

Thanks but like I said earlier leave intelligence out of this.....religious debate takes no brain power whatsoever.

The hypocrisy and divisive nature of religion is my real beef with it, but we'll leave that debate for another day. Sorry about your brother stuff like that gets me
mad.gif

But I don't think there is a nice to way to tell someone, " Listen,your system of beliefs is all rubbish", people are going to get upsetwhether you tell them in a polite way or in an aggressive tone.
There's really no way around offending someone who believes in some deity.
I can only speak for myself, but I think that there is absolutely a proper way to do it, just like there is a proper way for me to disagree with an atheist or an agnostic.  With respect.

The thing that makes any criticism stand out over another is sources.  If your going to come out and say "oh you sheep" then yeah, you won't garner any respect.  But if you source it, even if the source is relatively bias, at least you're showing me you have reason to believe what you do, and give me something with which I can form a rebuttal to.

Back
Top Bottom