I tried to tell ya'll dudes to quit it with the diet soda...

[h1]http://consumerist.com/5330075/will-nutrasweet-be-banned-for-causing-cancer[/h1]
[h1]Will Nutrasweet Be Banned For Causing Cancer?[/h1]
By McLaren and Torchinsky, 6:23 PM on Tue Aug 4 2009, 11,409 views

thumb160x_b68ddef24f3c40e74dbd9574caa83368.jpg
The Huffington Post is reporting that new FDA chief Dr. Margaret Hamburg is expected to ban the use of aspartame, the substance in Nutrasweet. Who expects the ban, columnist Samuel S. Epstein neglects to say.

But why? That is well covered:
In January 1976, then Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Schmidt testified before Senator Edward Kennedy (D-Mass) that Hazleton Laboratories, under contract to Searle, had been charged with falsifying toxicological data on the sweetener.

The FDA subsequently convened a Public Board of Inquiry to review concerns on aspartame's carcinogenic effects in experimental animals. In 1980, the Board concluded that aspartame could "contribute to the development brain tumors." The FDA then recommended that, pending confirmation of these findings, this sweetener should no longer be used.

In 2006, based on highly sensitive and life long feeding tests in groups of about 200 rats and at doses less than usual human dietary levels, the prestigious Italian Ramazzini Foundation confirmed that aspartame is unequivocally carcinogenic. A high incidence of cancers was induced in multiple organs, including lymph glands, brain and kidney.

True, Nutrasweet conspiracy theories have grown up with the Internet. And we'll grant that there's no shortage of bad science over at HuffPo. But Dr. Epstein sounds like the real deal.

At any rate, as someone who has long found that Nutrasweet gives me headaches, I'm a believer. So down with Diet Coke! (Tab is better anyway.)
An Overdue Ban on a Dangerous Sweetener [Huffington Post]
(Thanks, Shaula Evans!)

Sure you save on a few calories.. but that stuff is crazy.

Imagine what this would do to the food industry though - aspartame is in nearly EVERYTHING listed as low-fat or fat-free, and then a ton of things on top ofthat. I'll be surprised if this happens given what we know about Washington and who pays the bills, but is there a Big Sugar force in congress to stop it?

Soda period. I brake down every-once-n-awhile but I basically cut it out of my diet.

wow but you what instead of drink diet and fat free it would be safe to drink or eat less of the real stuff

Originally Posted by Freshly Snipes

I think it's bull ++!#. People believe everything causes cancer nowadays.
This guy has a closet full of diet rite and the whole 9 yards.
laugh.gif

Play it off while you can. If you're going to eat junk food, might as well go all out.

All soda is bad for you - but instead of just getting fat from regular, you get cancer from diet. take your pick
laugh.gif

Everything in moderation...Our bodies are incredible at resisting and detecting toxins. But our bodies have limits

looking forward to see the results. i try to steer clear of stuff with HFCS, but if they get rid of aspartame then i dont know what im gonna do without my cokezero
frown.gif

laugh.gif
Son everything causes cancer.
Diet soda just came out what? 5 years ago? Now its the cause of an diease that been around for decades?

P.S. Carbonated water is bad period. What about Soda...
roll.gif

Originally Posted by eye see soles

I don't know. There haven't been any reported human cases.

Good thing I only drink water.
Yup, water and cranberry juice for me. I only drink soda if offered on for free.

Originally Posted by sixersdukejordan

Everything in moderation...Our bodies are incredible at resisting and detecting toxins. But our bodies have limits

that's very true.

it's hard to avoid some of these things though as they're putting them in everything, even if you're staying home cooking you have to worry aboutyour basic groceries now with all the steroids and *+*$ they feed these animals.

It's pretty scary - but unless you're willing to try to live your entire life as a health nut, growing all your own food and stuff - you're goingto have to hope for the best. Even if you do go the health nut way, you'll still likely die of something totally unrelated, or get hit by a bus.

If it's your time, I guess it's your time. Maybe we really should just say #@$# it and go wild til we croak, quit finding new stuff to worry about. Who wants to live forever anyways?

Originally Posted by eye see soles

I don't know. There haven't been any reported human cases.

Good thing I only drink water.

rats dna are 98% identical to human dna. thats why they use rats as test subject and outcome on rats would most likely occur on humans since the dna are almostalike.

aspartame is an chemically artificial sugar. anything thats artificial is almost always bad for you. drinking diet soda is like drinking a chemical.

Drank Diet Coke with Vodka tonight, absolutely terrible never doing this @+++ again...

Is this in all diet soda? I know my pops has been drinking 2 cans of Diet Mountain Dew a day, every day for the past decade or so
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

Originally Posted by GTEK

Diet soda just came out what? 5 years ago?
5 years ago??
roll.gif

Originally Posted by GTEK

Now its the cause of an diease that been around for decades?
decades??
roll.gif

See above post. And yes I ran a little off with the decades comment.
alien.gif

Back
Top Bottom