If never injured, how good was Greg Oden supposed to be in the NBA?

Bill Russel? nahhh...Bill could runt he floor

So did Oden, and that was one of his strengths, :lol:

I think he would be the best C in the league right now if he never had injury issues.

His #'s per 36 are around 15/12/2.5 and he never even got a chance to learn much due to all the setbacks.

Defensive anchor who could give his team double figure points every game.

Something along the lines of 16 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and countless shots altered at his peak.

Last edited:
To be honest I was expecting 16-20ppg/10-15rpg/3bpg in his prime its a shame he never got there. That Blazer era is just sad to reflect on including how Brandon Roy turned out. They would all be in their primes right now :pimp:

I still shake my head at Portland fans who said that pick was a mistake actin like they wasnt at Pioneer Square at his draft reception all happy and hyped. Wish we picked KD looking back now, but there was no way he was gonna fit on the team. It was the right move at the time.

People who are saying he would of been like dwight howard, do you guys just look at stats? These guys dont even have similar builds. Highly doubt Greg Oden would step foot in a dunk contest. Deandre Jordan is more similar to Dwight than Greg Oden.

People who are saying he would of been like dwight howard, do you guys just look at stats? These guys dont even have similar builds. Highly doubt Greg Oden would step foot in a dunk contest. Deandre Jordan is more similar to Dwight than Greg Oden.
I think people are forgetting how mobile and athletic Greg Oden was. He was an absolute game-changer on the defensive end and I believe had the potential to be the DPOY candidate every year if he learned how to stay out of foul trouble so he log in more minutes. He would have given any team great vertical spacing ala DJ or DW. His post game was meh, it was based on overpowering the opponent but he did develop a nice left-handed jump hook when he got injured at OSU. It's a shame that injures had taken another player's career, it's also sad that what we see today in Greg Oden is a shell of his former self.

Does anybody know how to unrep someone, I rep my dude above by accident :lol:

Last edited:
What does the dunk contest have to do with anything? Oden's offensive ceiling was higher than DAJ. He had a much better feel for the game offensively and more polished in the post.

Imagine what would have happened if the Blazers picked Durantula instead.....
Roy would be mad, LA would be traded

AT THE TIME, we didn't need another score. We needed someone down low who can bang with Bynum and all the other power centers. We needed oden more for defensive reasons. Dumb I know but it is what it is

Last edited:
I don't even classify it as a bust if they suffer a series of catastrphic injuries.

Durant and Oden were 1a and 1b prospects, with Oden playing the most valuble position on the floor.

Blazers didn't make a "mistake", he wasn't a bust like Kwame or Olawakandi, where teams, just had a failure in their player evaluation process.

Last edited:
hindsight is 20/20. 90% of the teams in the nba would have picked oden with the 1st pick in that draft

If healthy, his floor was a defensive game changer and automatic double double. His ceiling was a multiple DPOY and best center in the league. I always thought his offensive potential was higher than some thought as well.

Oden def had potential. He showed signs of that potential many times when he was not injured. Def a player that could've been great if not at least good if it wasn't for his injuries.

Greg was super hyped especially making it to the National Championship game. I never really had a problem with Greg being the no.1 overall pick. His potential and ceiling was sky high. Man, what the brother could have been..... :smh:

Dude was injured in college as well. I remember he was shooting his free throws one handed :lol:

He nearly baptized Hibbert in the Final 4.

Just a shame that he never got healthy enough to reach his potential.

I can't consider him a bust because he was hurt all the time.

sad man.

Dude looked 40 when he was 18 :smh:

you could just tell he was mentally out of it.

Weren't all the analysts saying he was supposed to be a "once in a lifetime" player and KD a "once in a generation" type player.

Back
Top Bottom