If the general agreement is that JB is intentionally gimping the quality...

...then why all the hate for the hypebeasts gobbling all the "bad quality" Jordans?

Discuss.

Last edited:
lack of knowledge/never owned quality. If you have never worn great quality shoes then you wouldnt know that what you have is bad quality.

Want them just to be cool, like everyone else. I havent copped many retros this years just because of the quality. How you gone go up on prices but quality has gone down.

From what I've noticed it seems like every time a shoe is re-retroed people rant about the quality of the shoe and claim the one before it was "high quality" . My only problem with that is that I am now seeing shoes get called "high quality" that were considered "low quality" at the time of their release. For example, the Fire Red IV's last month. They have been said to be the one of the worst quality Jordans to be released in quite some time (I agree with that statement. I even had to exchange one of my pairs because it came scuffed and the leather was all chewed up). My only problem with that is that people then ranted about wanting the "high quality of the Mars IV's" from 2006. But when the Mars IV's came out, all I ever read was how bad the quality was. The same goes for the Metallic V's from 2007 to 2011, couple of XII models, and the list can go on. My question is, what is the expectation? I ask because it seems to be a moving target through the years. Also, if the quality is THAT bad, why are you still willing to cop, and cop, and cop, etc.? If you're truly unsatisfied with the product, stop buying it.

From what I've noticed it seems like every time a shoe is re-retroed people rant about the quality of the shoe and claim the one before it was "high quality" . My only problem with that is that I am now seeing shoes get called "high quality" that were considered "low quality" at the time of their release. For example, the Fire Red IV's last month. They have been said to be the one of the worst quality Jordans to be released in quite some time (I agree with that statement. I even had to exchange one of my pairs because it came scuffed and the leather was all chewed up). My only problem with that is that people then ranted about wanting the "high quality of the Mars IV's" from 2006. But when the Mars IV's came out, all I ever read was how bad the quality was. The same goes for the Metallic V's from 2007 to 2011, couple of XII models, and the list can go on. My question is, what is the expectation? I ask because it seems to be a moving target through the years. Also, if the quality is THAT bad, why are you still willing to cop, and cop, and cop, etc.? If you're truly unsatisfied with the product, stop buying it.
It would make since to stop buying but Rarely does it happen, I went to get the charcoal VII and had to get my money back due to the tongue being mispelled My N was a I(JordaI), Loose threads from the seams looked like someone already hooped in them but only on one shoe....This was at FOOTACTION!! The manager is a collector and even said this is a continuing issue. Shoes Creasing after a walk in the mall on first wear, leather being swapped out for dura. but prices steadliy rising.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS!

If you've been into shoe collecting for a little while, you'll notice this too. The "older" model always seems to be best. Even when the older version was horrible quality wise. The 2006 Mars IV to 2012 Fire-Red IV comparison shows it best. I remember people crying and complaining over those just as much as the 2012's.

It just goes to show you that quality has been on the decline for a long time. Yes, Jordan Brand has come out with some winners, but when you drop a shoe like the current Fire Red IV's it tends to make everyone forget about the nicer quality products they put out.

i love how hypebeasts is used for everyone that buys shoes these days.

guess i should be offended because i buy jordans now so im a hypebeast instead of a shoe head :smh:

guess i should be offended because i buy jordans now so im a hypebeast instead of a shoe head
mean.gif
Not really cuz, you're a sneakerhead you buy shoes because you love it, not because you know everyone is going to get them, you pick and choose what you want to buy because you want them not because the next man is getting them. At least that the kinda sneakerhead i am.

guess i should be offended because i buy jordans now so im a hypebeast instead of a shoe head :smh:

Not really cuz, you're a sneakerhead you buy shoes because you love it, not because you know everyone is going to get them, you pick and choose what you want to buy because you want them not because the next man is getting them. At least that the kinda sneakerhead i am.

your statement doesnt line up with OPs statement. its a common thing now that people on forums call everyone hypebeasts because they buy a shoe.

Jordan Brand hasn't been associated with a quality shoe since 99-03 era of releases. Everything after that has been suspect and on a downward spiral.

Haven't bought a pair since 2004 and will continue not to. Only you are in charge of your wallet, if you don't like something or think it's crap (like I do) then don't buy it (like I do).

THIS.

+1

Unless you being buying J's when Jordan was still playing, you're a hypebeast.

Or if you actually LIKE a colorway that people HYPE up (Concords, Cavs 4s, etc.), people call you a HYPEBEAST.

This term has been overused.

Unless you're an "older" head, age wise, youngsters will forever be "hypebeasts".

:smh:

The label or term you classify yourself with starts with your reason/rationale for buying the shoes. Ask yourself and answer that question first......

The whole quality issue is a catch-22 for me. Even though I've only bought 2 retros in the past 5 years because of quality, I'm sitting here with WC IV's on and they are killing my effin' feet 
tired.gif
 Did I assume the quality would suck? Of course. Why did I buy them? Because its been 13 years since they've come out for ******g sake and the first retros aren't wearable. As for the term "hypebeast", I only consider people that are willing to camp/sleep on the street for days, to be one. I can't just say you're one because you are young, Jordans have been popular forever.

Jordan does not make quality shoes any more point blank! Why spend money on quality leather for people who will pay $2,000 on hard plastic leather jordans? I don't blame them, but I will not buy any more Jordans.. Made the mistake of buying these stiff cement IVs.. only thing they are good for is looking at. Last pair of jordans I got that had some OK leather were my Banned Is.. My homie keep trying to sell me on these blk/blu Is dropping next year.. I'm betting they will also be carved from wood.

I don't know how to start this.  We are buying a shoe for numerous reasons, looks, missed out the first time, or recreating memories.  Unfortunately, regardless of the quality if they were to get crazy and retro XX2 P.E.  I wouldn't raise cane about quality, matter fact I would prob buy 10 pairs.  Serious shoes.  Wore them to Cali on a trip and they got killed by some dust.  Shoes are still 7.5/10 but we all know that only the top of the line Js are going to be quality.  Everything else....not in the same league. But we going to complain because Nike is raising the price and lowering quality.  Can we get a happy medium?

"Lower" quality is not just happening on retro Jordans. It's happening to every Nike release. It's just more apparent because you have an older version to compare it to with a retro.

But material-wise, the drop-off between a '12 IV retro and an '06 retro is, overall, similar to the dropoff between a Hyperdunk 2012 and a Huarache 2k5. The company is always looking for cheaper materials, even replacements for leathers. (I know the Hyperdunk/2k5 thing might be skewed because of the cushioning tech, flywire, etc. in the new one, but I mean strictly the base materials, not performance tech)

guess i should be offended because i buy jordans now so im a hypebeast instead of a shoe head
mean.gif
When I made the thread my intent was to show the word hypebeast in a sarcastic tone.

I hate the beasts as much as any other head, but I meant to defend them with this post. 

My take is that since Jordans have become mainstream, people have gotten pissy about it. Guys don't like when good indie bands or underground rappers start making money, so I see it as the same thing. I get that it's hard to get a shoe these days, but if the quality is garbanzo beans then why're you complaining, you know?

I live in Chicago and Jordan's have always been mainstream way back to the late 80's/90's. The shoes sold out here instantly everytime. What's happening today is still par the course imo and I don't have a problem with it. I have a real issue with people being critical of how or why another person wants to spend their own money. The word "Hypebeast" is the gayest sh*t ever. If you buy Jordan's, you obviously like, admired or wanted to be like Jordan right? So by definition you're no better than the "Hypebeast" who buys J's to be like his friends or just to fit in. Overwhelmingly the same dudes crying about the quality of J's are the same dudes mad at the "Hypebeast" for buying up all the shoes lol. It's just hate imo. Cat's are mad that it's harder to cop nowadays that's all. It's nothing funnier than hearing some dude ranting about how these "Hypebeast" didn't even watch Jordan play or their just buying it because they want to be cool etc. So what if they didn't see Jordan play? So what if they want to buy shoes to be cool? Why does it hurt your feelings that they want to buy Jordan's for whatever reason? Oh I get it you think you're entitled to a shoe lmao.
mean.gif

I live in Chicago and Jordan's have always been mainstream way back to the late 80's/90's. The shoes sold out here instantly everytime. What's happening today is still par the course imo and I don't have a problem with it. I have a real issue with people being critical of how or why another person wants to spend their own money. The word "Hypebeast" is the gayest sh*t ever. If you buy Jordan's, you obviously like, admired or wanted to be like Jordan right? So by definition you're no better than the "Hypebeast" who buys J's to be like his friends or just to fit in. Overwhelmingly the same dudes crying about the quality of J's are the same dudes mad at the "Hypebeast" for buying up all the shoes lol. It's just hate imo. Cat's are mad that it's harder to cop nowadays that's all. It's nothing funnier than hearing some dude ranting about how these "Hypebeast" didn't even watch Jordan play or their just buying it because they want to be cool etc. So what if they didn't see Jordan play? So what if they want to buy shoes to be cool? Why does it hurt your feelings that they want to buy Jordan's for whatever reason? Oh I get it you think you're entitled to a shoe lmao.
mean.gif
Somebody definitely called you a hypebeast huh 
roll.gif

i grew up dirt poor,mom had no job and on welfare,i could never afford jordans so i got a lil older the first pair of js i got were all black 4's for around 200 from pys around 6 years ago,i noticed tho that this shoe thing got a little out of hand when i tried to get the concords,i called 15 mins after fnl opened and the dude told me they were all sold out,but then he asked me what size i needed and i told him,then he told me he has a buncha sizes for sale for 360 
mean.gif
 and thats when it hit me this wasnt about the shoes anymore...this year ive only gotten the black 7s for retail online and ill get the 11s or at least try to..i guess i would be a hypebeast since i remember these shoes being worn by mj while i watched him play on tv but back then we were called fans..times change. 
eyes.gif

Last edited:
I thought hypebeast were dudes covered in trends head to toe? Word has always been corny to me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom