If you were making $44k to $48k a year, can a person afford a $36k car comfortably?

My folks told me when I was a kid

15% on home or rent

10% on car

My folks always stressed having a nice cushion and living below your means.
Nobody give a single damb about yo parents

Live fast and die young, you peckerhead.

View media item 436519View media item 436520

What happened to live fast and die young? Spending 5k on your lil whip sounds like you living fast on a budget.

I'm a senior in highschool and I don't know **** about cars but Im gonna cop my first car very soon. It's gonna have to be pre-owned and my price range is around 5k maybe a little more. So what car do you guys recommend?

Once again I don't know **** about cars......no seriously I don't know jack **** about whips

People on this board love counting other people's money. If its not effecting you directly why does it matter if someone is living out of their means? Let them do them. You don't know their situation. They could be living with their parents, push a nice whip and make more than you.

Wait what?

This would be a valid observation if didn't you know make a post asking our opinions. :lol:

... Again I'll say... Lease it. Absolutely no logical reason not to if you're getting payments either way...

My rule of thumb is only spend half your salary on your car

So someone who makes $250K/year should be able to buy a brand new Porsche Cayenne Turbo?

View media item 435603
Y'all are something else...

What?

Because 50% is way to much! Like I said earlier... 20% of your salary is ideal.

15% on home or rent
10% on car

Of course, no dispute there. But to say basically say someone making 250k a year, every year might be in trouble buying a Cayenne is ridiculous.

... Again I'll say... Lease it. Absolutely no logical reason not to if you're getting payments either way...
Why would someone logically make lease payments when they can buy? Most financial experts agree it's cheaper to buy a car instead of lease since you're only paying the dealership for the depreciated value of the car over the term and are limited by mileage and work you can do on the vehicle.

Not a good idea to me personally. What's wrong with the car you have now? Any maintance issues? Or do you just want to get a new car just bc? Your best bet would be to not get a new car at the moment. Think I seen you have a student loan? If so start paying that off ASAP, its not gonna be easy paying a car note and your loan monthly so why would you want to do that to yourself?

Why would someone logically make lease payments when they can buy? Most financial experts agree it's cheaper to buy a car instead of lease since you're only paying the dealership for the depreciated value of the car over the term and are limited by mileage and work you can do on the vehicle.

Cars are a depreciating asset... honestly there is no reason to buy one unless its a classic that is gaining value, or you are certain that it is the car you want for a while. Car payments, plus interest, means you pay more than a car is worth, all the while it is losing value tremendously. With a lease you are only paying for the period of time in which you are using it, which is basically that depreciation amount that ppl lose when they drive their new cars off the lot. Not to mention the time value of money and the fact that having your money tied up in car equity is ridiculous as it could be put to better use elsewhere. Bottom line if you don't/can't buy a car cash, its not the best move financially, this is even more true with a 5-6 year payment... just think of all that absurd interest...

People on this board love counting other people's money. If its not effecting you directly why does it matter if someone is living out of their means? Let them do them. You don't know their situation. They could be living with their parents, push a nice whip and make more than you.
what..... OP was asking "If you were making $44k to $48k a year, can a person afford a $36k car comfortably?"

Pretty sure he was asking for advice on his money

No, dude. 
laugh.gif

You should be asking, "Can a person making $48k a year afford to save $36k comfortably." Much better question.

15% on home or rent

10% on car

Nobody give a single damb about yo parents

Live fast and die young, you peckerhead.

View media item 436519View media item 436520

What happened to live fast and die young? Spending 5k on your lil whip sounds like you living fast on a budget.

I'm a senior in highschool and I don't know **** about cars but Im gonna cop my first car very soon. It's gonna have to be pre-owned and my price range is around 5k maybe a little more. So what car do you guys recommend?

Once again I don't know **** about cars......no seriously I don't know jack **** about whips

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: PWNED!

max should be a third of what you make yearly, even then i think its too much
save up for things that hold their value, a car is the worst investment people make

If I could do it over I would have bought a used Toyota. I bought a brand new car (scion tc) when I first got a job making 42k. It's paid off now and I make double that now... I'm riding around note free and happy as can be. :smile:

If I could do it over I would have bought a used Toyota. I bought a brand new car (scion tc) when I first got a job making 42k. It's paid off now and I make double that now... I'm riding around note free and happy as can be. :smile:

You know damn well you're tired of that scion. Ya def mentioned gettin an A6. You deserve it.

You know damn well you're tired of that scion. Ya def mentioned gettin an A6. You deserve it.

Haha yup I am tired of it. Buuuuut I surely want to get my student loans down which I'm doing now. I plan on getting my a6 when I get back to the states

Haha yup I am tired of it. Buuuuut I surely want to get my student loans down which I'm doing now. I plan on getting my a6 when I get back to the states

Hey I saw that you make double now. I'm currently stranded and I'm trying to get back home. Can you paypal me $509? Please I just want to go home.

Back
Top Bottom