Illmatic is the best Musical album of all time. Lets take a trip down memory lane

Evidence - cats and dogs, the weatherman LP

Fashawn - boy meets world

King Geedorah - take me to your leader

Ghostface - 12 reasons to die

those albums come to mind that in my opinion are better than illmatic

I assume this thread is for east coast nt'ers because the impact of that album was not as strong as you think.

Snoop's "doggystyle" or Pac's "all eyez on me" is my illmatic.

young nas was just phenomenal. musically i liked stillmatic better...but illmatic just felt realer n grittier

I assume this thread is for east coast nt'ers because the impact of that album was not as strong as you think.

Snoop's "doggystyle" or Pac's "all eyez on me" is my illmatic.
Damn, can't be leaf I forgot about these :nthat:

Put yourself in the shoes of someone not from NY. You'll realize how silly you sound calling it the best musical album of all time.

Evidence - cats and dogs, the weatherman LP
Fashawn - boy meets world
King Geedorah - take me to your leader
Ghostface - 12 reasons to die

those albums come to mind that in my opinion are better than illmatic

Fazers :pimp:

I remember some dude posted a youtube video with some girl and they were playing a nas song in the background can't find that video, but I need that song asap.

I consider it to be the best rap album ... i love Liquid swords and OB4CL though ... cannot argue if anyone reppin' those

but this point definitely took me back to growing up in East NY, Brooklyn in the early 90s

Back then, only a few cats had Jordans, Triple Fat Goose was the hottest jacket out, dudes would hang off the back of buses to get a free ride, ladies of all ages were getting robbed in broad daylight, prostitutes were out in full force on my way to elementary school where Gateway mall now is ... When i finally hopped on the cheese bus for a year, WU was taking over. Damn bus driver would blast it. Just a crazy era ...

Dude really said Fashawn
laugh.gif
Fashawn got bars. But yeah, boy meets world ain't better than illmatic
laugh.gif

Favorite =/= Best

Fact =/= opinion

with that said, Sheek Louch "After Taxes"> "Illmatic"

Yo....

Rap fans never have any respect for the classics.

Right now if you bring up Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band you'll have any young kid who's heard it talking about how good it is, because people who would identify as real fans of rock understand the genre as a whole and not just their small section of it.

You're not gonna have a bunch of people going "I mean, it's good, but Limp Bizkit is way better in my opinion. I mean, it's not all about playing instruments that people don't usually play. Plus, alot of the lyrics go over my head." You'd either talk about what it means to you, or if you don't know much about it just ask questions about why it means so much to so many people.

Yea, I went to the NY show and it was incredible to see my favorite rap album performed live. The energy was crazy and from what I remembered he had AZ, Premo, Pete Rock, and Akinyele up there. Definitely wasn't expecting him to do his Live at the BBQ verse, it was insane. Hell, even Steve Nash was up on stage and grinding on some bad *** female.

Nas is doing a special tour for the 20 year anniversary of Illmatic, look out for it. A documentary is coming out for Illmatic too.
Yea, I was upset too that Nas didn't come in for that verse during Mobb's set, one of my favorite from him. I had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life that night with Nas performing Illmatic on one side and Rae and Ghost performing OB4CL on the other side, still disappointed I miss that but catching Illmatic, The Infamous, Enta Da Stage, Black Sunday, and Black Star nearly in full was still a fantastic day.

Yeah it was BS how they switched up the schedule last min. It was supposed to be Lauryn Hill and Rae and Ghost on at the same time which would've allowed us to saw Ghost and Rae then go straight to Nas. I would've been cool skipping Lauryn Hill even though I'm a fan because she wasn't that great live. Still a ridiculous day.

Amazing album. Doggystyle is still my personal favorite, for multiple personal reasons, but you can't deny Illmatic's greatness.

Yo....

Right now if you bring up Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band you'll have any young kid who's heard it talking about how good it is, because people who would identify as real fans of rock understand the genre as a whole and not just their small section of it.

You're not gonna have a bunch of people going "I mean, it's good, but Limp Bizkit is way better in my opinion. I mean, it's not all about playing instruments that people don't usually play. Plus, alot of the lyrics go over my head." You'd either talk about what it means to you, or if you don't know much about it just ask questions about why it means so much to so many people.
it also has to do with the lyrical content of rap vs other forms of music

most rappers have a song out about why they are the best and better than all these other clowns, so naturally it polarizes the fans. 

when the beatles made music it was just "good music" if a beatle did a colab with another band/artist it was just "good music"

when a rapper does a colab with another rapper its "em killed jayz on his own track" or "nas won"

so people start going out of their way to disrespect great rappers that they dont like

Yo....

this too. and if we're talking rap albums people like Outkast

have albums that are MUSICALLY top notch as well as lyrically

top notch. Then you have people like Marvin Gaye, R. Kelly,

MJ, D'angelo, and others who bring waaaay more to the table

musically than ******* Illmatic. But hey thereare dudes on here

who feel that rap is the only good genre of music so it really is

all subjective. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom