Illmatic is the best Musical album of all time. Lets take a trip down memory lane

Music is so subjective. So many factors go into what makes a person like and connect to a certain song or album.

Either way, Illmatic was always overrated IMO

NT has the most generic taste in music everything.

NT is not a country. NT is not a race. by saying what you

just said you also have generic taste in everything because

you are not above NT. you post here like everyone else.

plenty dudes on here do have some.....interesting opinions

but to group it all together is paradoxical.

even if you dont like nas/jayz, if you listen to their lyrics (old jay z at least) there is no way you can say that they are average rappers

its like you can hate lebron all you want but you cant look at his stats and say hes a bad basketball player

Never said dudes were trash... Reasonable Doubt up to the first Blueprint is solid work. Nothing after that really does it for me. *shrugs*

Illmatic is cool as well. But for some reason Nas' voice puts me to sleep.

I respect those dudes, they're just far from my favorite rappers. Sorry if that rustles some of your jimmies.

I guess that's the reason why I like Pac. Dude's voice had passion in it. Wordplay and lyricism is just a part of being a good rapper, it's not the ONLY thing that matters. Just my .02.
That's cool. You don't have to like em. But to say they're the most overrated rappers ever (lil wayne?) and not above average is just silly.
I'm not Pac's biggest fan but such blasphemy would never leave my lips. And wordplay and lyricism are exactly what makes someone a good rapper.
There's a difference between being a good rapper and a good entertainer. You're confusing the two. French Montana is a good entertainer. He's a trash rapper.

Wayne isn't the most overrated rapper ever though. When have you legitimately heard someone over the age of 18 (besides Wayne of course :lol:) call him the GOAT? Dudes in NO don't even call him the best ever. :lol: And I have SEEN people ON NT call Pac the most overrated rapper ever. Doesn't bother me at all. Subjective.

And nah, wordplay and lyricism doesn't make someone a great rapper. Papoose for example, dude has BARS. The majority of people outside of NY doesn't check for him though. Why? Bars and lyricism are all he has to offer. His songs suck to me and his flow is nothing special to me. Hell, if what you said is true then Pun and L would be the undisputed GOATs. But they aren't viewed as that by most.

Music is so subjective. So many factors go into what makes a person like and connect to a certain song or album.

Either way, Illmatic was always overrated IMO

Exactly.

Its understandable for dudes who grew up in NY for their entire lives to have a connection with cats like Nas, Jay, Wu-Tang, etc. because they grew up on it. Myself, I don't connect with those dudes much because NO ONE where i'm from nor did my folks listen to those guys. I grew up on Pac, TI, UGK, OutKast, Snoop, Wayne etc. so i'm always going to choose those guys over most others. It's SUBJECTIVE. How you gonna call someone's opinion void because they don't rock with Nas as much as you do?

NY cats are sheltered man, dudes really think everyone that listens to rap knows every Nas and Hov album word for word and ****. :lol:

*waits for the typical 40 year old NY NT'er who listens to boom-bap all day to post a slick comment because I like Wayne*

Last edited:
NT has the most generic taste in music everything.

NT is not a country. NT is not a race. by saying what you

just said you also have generic taste in everything because

you are not above NT. you post here like everyone else.

plenty dudes on here do have some.....interesting opinions

but to group it all together is paradoxical.

:lol: Its a generalization, you're taking what I said way too literally.

naaaaaw don't gimmie that. i know 20 year olds, 30 year olds, 40 year olds, etc

who do not think Illmatic is the best MUSICAL album ever :lol: :rofl:

and y favorite RAP album is from 1995. My #2 is from 1998

That wasnt meant for the "best musical album ever", but for the flack and calling Illmatic "overrated". If you are in your 20's you don't have a single clue of the cultural and industry impact Illmatic had when it was released. Nas was 19 when the album was released and was already called the GOAT. 10 tracks of pure lyrical and production genius.

IMO it's the greatest Hip-Hop album because it encompassed everything that was going on at the time, and was the first album you can visually see an artists lyrics. No disrespect to Rakim, Eric B, or Big Daddy Kane.

this too. and if we're talking rap albums people like Outkast

have albums that are MUSICALLY top notch as well as lyrically

top notch. Then you have people like Marvin Gaye, R. Kelly,

MJ, D'angelo, and others who bring waaaay more to the table

musically than ******* Illmatic. But hey thereare dudes on here

who feel that rap is the only good genre of music so it really is

all subjective. *shrugs*

Agreed

& Aquemini> Illmatic

but the best musical album of all time is not a rap album. period

Speaking of D'Angelo, That ************ is amazing. His voice is severely underrated. Voodoo is a masterpiece :smh:

Last edited:
:lol: Its a generalization, you're taking what I said way too literally.

That wasnt meant for the "best musical album ever", but for the flack and calling Illmatic "overrated". If you are in your 20's you don't have a single clue of the cultural and industry impact Illmatic had when it was released. Nas was 19 when the album was released and was already called the GOAT. 10 tracks of pure lyrical and production genius.

IMO it's the greatest Hip-Hop album because it encompassed everything that was going on at the time, and was the first album you can visually see an artists lyrics. No disrespect to Rakim, Eric B, or Big Daddy Kane.

Fair enough

Im from Miami and think illmatic is the GOAT rap album, and I love both jay z and nas's music.

Yoppaveli 1.5 > illmatic tho

Voodoo> Illmatic

dawg ain't no use. :lol: if we talkin MUSIC it's SOOOOOOO many

albums i can put above Illmatic. but hey i'd put 3 2pac albums and 4 Outkast

albums above it off rip so it's whatever. and also to dudes talking about the

context of the album you're straying away from the MUSIC. dude said it's the

best MUSICAL album of all time. true, context affects how people rate albums

BUT if you're gonna call something the best musical album ever it's not

fair to lean so much on the context. for example, i did not know the context of

anything when my dad first bought R. Kelly's TP-2.com but dammit to this day

i love it musically and that's separate from the nostalgia i get from hearing it.

Illmatic = broke dude tryna get rich without killing your people (keepin' your eyes above the waters)

Ready to Die = broke dude that made it rich but kept it gritty (keepin' it thoro)

Reasonable doubt = rich dude tryna stay there and out of jail and beef (cleanin' up nice)

all are classic but depends on what you needed from your music IMO

And while we're at it, All Eyez On Me (the song) > Street Dreams.

And while we're at it, All Eyez On Me (the song) > Street Dreams.

nah, b...

Nas by far bodied that beat...

Nas had better flow...

Nas made waaayyyy more lyrical sense..

Tupac basically keep mumbling about his n****z in a van ready to ride...

i can respect it but it compare it to something else because Nasty Nas got that one...

Last edited:

even if you dont like nas/jayz, if you listen to their lyrics (old jay z at least) there is no way you can say that they are average rappers

its like you can hate lebron all you want but you cant look at his stats and say hes a bad basketball player

Never said dudes were trash... Reasonable Doubt up to the first Blueprint is solid work. Nothing after that really does it for me. *shrugs*

Illmatic is cool as well. But for some reason Nas' voice puts me to sleep.

I respect those dudes, they're just far from my favorite rappers. Sorry if that rustles some of your jimmies.

I guess that's the reason why I like Pac. Dude's voice had passion in it. Wordplay and lyricism is just a part of being a good rapper, it's not the ONLY thing that matters. Just my .02.
That's cool. You don't have to like em. But to say they're the most overrated rappers ever (lil wayne?) and not above average is just silly.
I'm not Pac's biggest fan but such blasphemy would never leave my lips. And wordplay and lyricism are exactly what makes someone a good rapper.
There's a difference between being a good rapper and a good entertainer. You're confusing the two. French Montana is a good entertainer. He's a trash rapper.
Wayne isn't the most overrated rapper ever though. When have you legitimately heard someone over the age of 18 (besides Wayne of course
laugh.gif
) call him the GOAT? Dudes in NO don't even call him the best ever.
laugh.gif
And I have SEEN people ON NT call Pac the most overrated rapper ever. Doesn't bother me at all. Subjective.

And nah, wordplay and lyricism doesn't make someone a great rapper. Papoose for example, dude has BARS. The majority of people outside of NY doesn't check for him though. Why? Bars and lyricism are all he has to offer. His songs suck to me and his flow is nothing special to me. Hell, if what you said is true then Pun and L would be the undisputed GOATs. But they aren't viewed as that by most.
Let's get to chopping this fable.

1. Wayne isn't overrated in the sense that people think he's the GOAT. He's overrated in the way that when he was running around calling himself the best rapper alive and top 3 DOA there were a whole lot of people cosigning that BS. When he was hot you couldn't criticize Wayne without 5 ********rs coming out of the woodworks to chastise you. Those guys that called Pac the most overrated rapper of all time were stupid for that too.

2. You're still confusing being a great rapper with being a great entertainer. 2 different things. Battle rap shows perfectly the dichotomy between great rappers and great entertainers. A lot of people would take Holla or Tay Roc over Chilla any day. They're not even close to being better than him but they're more entertaining. What you're saying is the equivalent of "You're an excellent poet, but you write trash poetry". Or "You're the best piano player I ever heard but nobody knows you, so you suck as a pianist". Oooooor "You're the most fundamentally sound basketball player I ever saw. But you're just not entertaining to watch so you're overrated". Getting more radio play and exposure doesn't mean you're better than someone who doesn't. There's a whole lot of underground rappers who choose to stay underground and are FAR better than most mainstream rappers. Nobody is really looking for MF Doom but is he a worse rapper than 2Chainz? If you ask 10 people who they would rather listen to, Papoose or French Montana, 7/10 would choose French. He's not a better rapper than papoose though. And papoose's problems with exposure went beyond his lyrical abilities. Just look at how long it took him to come out with Nacirema Dream
mean.gif
And while Pun and L may not be the undisputed GOAT's if someone were to call them the most overrated rappers ever and not above average their opinion would automatically become invalid too.

You can have your preferences but you can't deny greatness.

Illimatic is a classic album. I couldn't call it the best though. There are several albums that I would consider just as good. Midnight marauders, the Chronic, Doggystyle, Straight Outta Compton, Enter the Wu, It takes a nation of millions, All Eyes, Ready to Die, Paid in Full, Southernplayalistic...and that's off of the top of my head. I'm sure there are some I'm leaving out. Too subjective to call any album the best.....unless we're talking about the Thriller album:rofl:

Music is subjective and many people put other records ahead of it 

But most people ive met will admit that it is FLAWLESS

Maybe not your favorite but it is flawless. Not a single hiccup on that cd.

Back
Top Bottom