In New York, all 51,000 state prisoners will get their own tablet computers

Inmates in New York state prisons will soon be able to read e-books, listen to music and email family members while in prison -- all from their own tablet computers.

The New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision entered into a deal with JPay that will provide all New York state prison inmates with a tablet. JPay is a company that provides technology and services that help those who are incarcerated stay connected with people outside prison, according to thecompany's website.
There are approximately 51,000 inmates in New York state prisons, the corrections department said.

Annucci said the tablets would provide inmates with "the ability to access free educational material." Prisoners will also able to file grievances with the prison directly from the tablets.

The New York state government said it won't pay anything for the inmates' tablets. They are free as part of a deal between the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision and JPay to start a pilot electronic financial system designed to let family and friends send money to people in prison more easily, according to the department.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/01/us/ne...020118new-york-inmates-tablet-trnd0502PMStory

I thought this was interesting . And with some more details added, I'd be in support of it. However I'm not cool with the fact that this is happening, yet it's hard for schools to even have up to date computers or books.

Last edited:
That's great.

Id still get physical books tho. Throw a bunch in your laundry bag and you got some weights.

I support this,although in the end I'm sure it will be just another way for the prison industrial complex and associated businesses to make money.

Watch they dismantle the tablets and somehow use them to open the prison gates
Prisoners are very resourceful

as long as they don't get rid of physical in person or start banning books overall visits this is fine...

kayslay better make straight stuntin digital too, cuz soon they wont allow em in due to da tablets.

Of course the DOC will benefit from this somehow—they never participate in any programs where they won’t benefit. And it’s JPay—those cats are known pocket hustlers.

That said, I’m all for prisoners having easier access to communicating with loved ones. There’s this notion that prison is supposed to equate to everything outside those walls ceases to exist. That type of approach is partially to blame for folks getting shanked and cats acting a damn fool in our prisons.

Free Tablet PC's For NY's Prisoners Rankles Some
By DAVE LUCAS FEB 2, 2018
TweetShareGoogle+Email

• JPAY

Listen
Listen
Listening...

3:36
The New York state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision announced a new program this week to give inmates in state prisons free tablets. Some area lawmakers oppose the plan.

JoAnne Page is president and CEO of The Fortune Society, an organization that helps people trying to rebuild their lives after incarceration. "Anything that helps get people comfortable with using technology is greatly important, because it greatly increases their job prospects. When people are locked up they fall way, way, way behind in terms of the technological skills that other people develop. And having a tablet can make a difference in that."

The devices come preloaded with educational material and apps allowing inmates to file grievances and report incidents. Inmates could also place commissary orders through the devices.

Additionally, inmates will be able to purchase approved media including music, e-books and videos, and can sign in to a secure e-mail network to communicate with family and friends. Again, Page: "I think it could make a big difference in those three areas. Communication with family and loved ones, access to educational materials, and just building technological familiarity."

Some lawmakers are dead-set against the plan. Among them: Democratic state Assemblyman Angelo Santabarbara of the 111th district, who says resources should go elsewhere. "My son Michael lives with autism and he needs a computer tablet as a communications tool. These tablets should be going to help kids like him and all New Yorkers with developmental disabilities that need them. Not prisoners. On principle, they are being given an item that many of the families I represent do not have. And at a time when public schools are struggling with shortfalls and student loan debt is increasing, these tablets would go a long way for high school students here in the Capital Region and could also help those trying to get through college. They should not be used to enhance the prison experience for criminals where there is already access to libraries and desktop computers."

"It doesn't always have to be an 'us versus them' argument. It would be great to provide free tablets to people suffering from disabilities, but that doesn't make it a bad idea to provide free tablets to prisoners,” says Karen Murtagh, executive director of Prisoners Legal Services of New York. "Why would anyone be opposed to increasing the safety and security of prisons? This protects the prison staff as well as prisoners. Other states that have been using this technology have reported that it has made their prisons and jails safer in ways they could have never imagined."

The tablets will be available beginning this summer. Attempts to reach Department of Corrections and Community officials were unsuccessful. Spokesperson Patrick Bailey tells Utica's WKTV that the tablets are shatterproof, not made of glass, and that the program has been piloted, on a smaller scale, in some of the state's prisons, without incident.

A woman who answered the phone at DOCCS confirmed the tablets do not possess internet capabilities and will be provided at no cost to taxpayers through a contract with a privately held corrections-related service provider known as JPay, a for-profit company that charges inmates and/or their contacts to use its services.
http://wamc.org/post/free-tablet-pcs-nys-prisoners-rankles-some

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Till its 10 years from now, and we see how one of these tablets used by one of these inmates was used to hack some next *!@&

If your reaction is one of envy and indignity (why do prisoners get tablets when I/public school students don't), you're missing the point entirely.

These aren't "free" tablets. They exist to develop and exploit a captive market for price gouging and usury.

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-financial-firm-that-cornered-the-market-on-jails/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4d09ff5a4a8_story.html?utm_term=.b9fb5c3a07b4
https://www.wired.com/story/prison-video-visits/

Not envious or indignant about it. It's just a little crazy that the system is set up in the way in which prisoners can get tablets yet many of our schools are underfunded.

Not envious or indignant about it. It's just a little crazy that the system is set up in the way in which prisoners can get tablets yet many of our schools are underfunded.
You're missing the point. You don't want this exploitative, for profit system in schools. Not sure if you have anyone locked up, but everything costs, they/the families will be paying for this somehow.

It's not going to work like some of ya'll think. The company is called JPay for christ's sake.

Back
Top Bottom