Incarcerated For 5 Months, Case Goes To Trial and I am Found Not Guilty... Compensation?

First of all it's a relatively long read, but I don't think it's a boring one. Cliffs will be added.

Long story short. I was in a situation back in Dec. of 09' where I was arrested and charged with a robbery. I knew I didn't rob anyone and I knew somehow it would be sorted out and the truth would set me free.
eyes.gif
The Police never really did a full investigation before they placed my under arrest. Just went with what a bunch of drunk guys were saying happened.

Anyway, when I was arraigned on the charge the Judge set my bail at $5,000 cash/no bail bond option. I made bail.

I am indicted in between bailing out and my next court date, so I am now in Supreme Court for a Felony Robbery.
indifferent.gif
That honestly never took place.

The Supreme Court judge, as I was explained to afterwards, has the right to increase the bail as she/he may see fit. She proceeds to do so and have me remanded and have my bail increased, with no other new issues coming from my side. No new arrests, no flight risk. My bail is now $12,000. Fully secured, which means basically it has to be 12,000 in cash no bail bondsman or nothing.

Now I'm on Rikers Island and my family is trying to come up with bail money. At first, being this my first bid I was pushing my family as hard as I could for bail, but after a while I didn't stress it as much. Not that I got used to being locked up and was alright, but I certainly adjusted and I didn't want my family to stress the money thinking I was doing bad while locked.

So Jan, Feb, March, April and May come. I am in a situation where I get into something that is an infraction and requires box time.
30t6p3b.gif
This happens and I let family know and obviously the bail money is now a priority to me again, because the box is a whole new ball game while incarcerated. You get 1 phone call, 24 hour lockdown in a cell. Not allowed to have a radio or anything, (good thing I snuck mines in) no commissary until you've served most of you box time. My infraction was a 70 day offense.
tired.gif

I am sent to the box late May, it's worst then I imagined it and all this with a heat wave hitting NY. Thankfully I make bail 3 days after I reached the box.

The whole time I was on the Island I knew I'd be taking this case all the way. Trial... whatever, I was not copping out. Went through all the pre-trial proceeding while locked up.

I'm out on bail now and all of a sudden the "stern" and "serious" offers like 3 1/2 years have now dropped to a 2 1/2 years offer. Right after selecting a jury for my trial I was offered 2 years.
laugh.gif
Now I know they want me to fold, because I ain't do nothing. Fast foward and my first "trial" was a "mis-trial" because my lawyer representing one of the supposed victims in a past case of his own.
laugh.gif

I await now for a new Attorney and new trial. The D.A. buys himself time with a bunch of excuses for the judge like "one of the witnesses is on vacation" or "one of the victims is going away on work". etc.

Finally they are ready for trial again. So we start the jury selection process and then I am now offered 1 1/2 years.
roll.gif
Jury selection is done in 2 days. When this is done I am now offered TIME SERVED!
eek.gif
I was sooo heated.

I don't take it and I say I'm NOT GUILTY. Trial take place, witnesses show up, tell their side of the story and it was obvious to everyone in the court room that this was some B.S. Anyway they trial continues and finishes with the end result being NOT GUILTY on ALL charges.

Cliffs:
-Locked up for robbery
-Did about 5 months on the Island
-Ended up being found NOT guilty.

Can I be compensated ? I googled this question in a bunch of different terms and questions and couldn't really find anything that matches up. Any help is appreciated, although I know NT probably dosn't have the biggest pool of Lawyers to get knowledge from, but hopefully someone has heard of something similar.

Thanks in advance.

First of all it's a relatively long read, but I don't think it's a boring one. Cliffs will be added.

Long story short. I was in a situation back in Dec. of 09' where I was arrested and charged with a robbery. I knew I didn't rob anyone and I knew somehow it would be sorted out and the truth would set me free.
eyes.gif
The Police never really did a full investigation before they placed my under arrest. Just went with what a bunch of drunk guys were saying happened.

Anyway, when I was arraigned on the charge the Judge set my bail at $5,000 cash/no bail bond option. I made bail.

I am indicted in between bailing out and my next court date, so I am now in Supreme Court for a Felony Robbery.
indifferent.gif
That honestly never took place.

The Supreme Court judge, as I was explained to afterwards, has the right to increase the bail as she/he may see fit. She proceeds to do so and have me remanded and have my bail increased, with no other new issues coming from my side. No new arrests, no flight risk. My bail is now $12,000. Fully secured, which means basically it has to be 12,000 in cash no bail bondsman or nothing.

Now I'm on Rikers Island and my family is trying to come up with bail money. At first, being this my first bid I was pushing my family as hard as I could for bail, but after a while I didn't stress it as much. Not that I got used to being locked up and was alright, but I certainly adjusted and I didn't want my family to stress the money thinking I was doing bad while locked.

So Jan, Feb, March, April and May come. I am in a situation where I get into something that is an infraction and requires box time.
30t6p3b.gif
This happens and I let family know and obviously the bail money is now a priority to me again, because the box is a whole new ball game while incarcerated. You get 1 phone call, 24 hour lockdown in a cell. Not allowed to have a radio or anything, (good thing I snuck mines in) no commissary until you've served most of you box time. My infraction was a 70 day offense.
tired.gif

I am sent to the box late May, it's worst then I imagined it and all this with a heat wave hitting NY. Thankfully I make bail 3 days after I reached the box.

The whole time I was on the Island I knew I'd be taking this case all the way. Trial... whatever, I was not copping out. Went through all the pre-trial proceeding while locked up.

I'm out on bail now and all of a sudden the "stern" and "serious" offers like 3 1/2 years have now dropped to a 2 1/2 years offer. Right after selecting a jury for my trial I was offered 2 years.
laugh.gif
Now I know they want me to fold, because I ain't do nothing. Fast foward and my first "trial" was a "mis-trial" because my lawyer representing one of the supposed victims in a past case of his own.
laugh.gif

I await now for a new Attorney and new trial. The D.A. buys himself time with a bunch of excuses for the judge like "one of the witnesses is on vacation" or "one of the victims is going away on work". etc.

Finally they are ready for trial again. So we start the jury selection process and then I am now offered 1 1/2 years.
roll.gif
Jury selection is done in 2 days. When this is done I am now offered TIME SERVED!
eek.gif
I was sooo heated.

I don't take it and I say I'm NOT GUILTY. Trial take place, witnesses show up, tell their side of the story and it was obvious to everyone in the court room that this was some B.S. Anyway they trial continues and finishes with the end result being NOT GUILTY on ALL charges.

Cliffs:
-Locked up for robbery
-Did about 5 months on the Island
-Ended up being found NOT guilty.

Can I be compensated ? I googled this question in a bunch of different terms and questions and couldn't really find anything that matches up. Any help is appreciated, although I know NT probably dosn't have the biggest pool of Lawyers to get knowledge from, but hopefully someone has heard of something similar.

Thanks in advance.

No robbery happened. It was a verbal confrontation between myself and friends and "the victims". Both parties were drunk, so we were basically poking our chests out.

A female from the other group called the cops. When the cops got there we had already shook the lames off and walked off. I am arrested half a block away and the cops inform me at the precinct that I'm being charged with Robbery.

Dudes basically were sad about being violated verbally and created a big lie about a robbery.
30t6p3b.gif

No robbery happened. It was a verbal confrontation between myself and friends and "the victims". Both parties were drunk, so we were basically poking our chests out.

A female from the other group called the cops. When the cops got there we had already shook the lames off and walked off. I am arrested half a block away and the cops inform me at the precinct that I'm being charged with Robbery.

Dudes basically were sad about being violated verbally and created a big lie about a robbery.
30t6p3b.gif

I was hoping for a Dirtylicious response.
30t6p3b.gif
Too bad it didn't help.

Thanks though. Edit is done.

I was hoping for a Dirtylicious response.
30t6p3b.gif
Too bad it didn't help.

Thanks though. Edit is done.

My first reaction to being wrongfully accused: ask NikeTalk.
eyes.gif

C'mon, son... that's why you pay your lawyer.

eyes.gif

Dude who just copped a house right across the street from me had a similar thing happen (he served more time, close to like 5 years or something like that). He sued the state and got PAYYYYYYYED. Like I said copped a new house, brand new RR, Porsche, and M6 all hooked up. granted not the smartest thing to do. But I guess if you been locked up for 5+ you gonna ball out when you free.

So yea I think you can do something if the time served wasnt voluntary. I just dont know how much "Pain and Suffering" compensation they will give you for 5 months. Maybe a G or 2. But ey its worth a shot. They took 5 months of your freedom might as well try and get something out of it. Talk to ur attorney.

Dude who just copped a house right across the street from me had a similar thing happen (he served more time, close to like 5 years or something like that). He sued the state and got PAYYYYYYYED. Like I said copped a new house, brand new RR, Porsche, and M6 all hooked up. granted not the smartest thing to do. But I guess if you been locked up for 5+ you gonna ball out when you free.

So yea I think you can do something if the time served wasnt voluntary. I just dont know how much "Pain and Suffering" compensation they will give you for 5 months. Maybe a G or 2. But ey its worth a shot. They took 5 months of your freedom might as well try and get something out of it. Talk to ur attorney.

Originally Posted by PTone

eyes.gif

Yeah, this is the first place I came.
laugh.gif

Other then actually trying to get helpful information I also feel like a post like this is a good start for a conversation, so even if my original question isn't answered I feel like the post can spark a discussion.

Of course not everyone lives in areas where stuff like this is an issue, but I'm sure I'm not the first or the last to have to go through this.

Thanks for your contribution.

Originally Posted by PTone

eyes.gif

Yeah, this is the first place I came.
laugh.gif

Other then actually trying to get helpful information I also feel like a post like this is a good start for a conversation, so even if my original question isn't answered I feel like the post can spark a discussion.

Of course not everyone lives in areas where stuff like this is an issue, but I'm sure I'm not the first or the last to have to go through this.

Thanks for your contribution.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Quality post.
glasses.gif

Yeah, the pain and suffering part would probably be the hardest to prove or even argue.

Also, like I said I tried to look this up on google for days. Trying to find a lawyer in the field, similar situations, articles etc. I came up with almost nothing. Are there any other terms I should use while researching to get better search results.

Maybe someone knows a lawyer specifically in this field.

New York ?

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Quality post.
glasses.gif

Yeah, the pain and suffering part would probably be the hardest to prove or even argue.

Also, like I said I tried to look this up on google for days. Trying to find a lawyer in the field, similar situations, articles etc. I came up with almost nothing. Are there any other terms I should use while researching to get better search results.

Maybe someone knows a lawyer specifically in this field.

New York ?

Back
Top Bottom