Feedback Increase width at which site switches to "desktop" mode

would you like to see the width at which site switches to "desktop" mode increased?

• No, don't change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, please change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nobody cares, Wally

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
<low priority>

I feel like the site goes from "phone" mode to "desktop" mode at too low of a page/window width, resulting in the left column (with the avy/username) taking up too much of the page width, especially on cell phones set to a larger DPI.

Here is the full width, which is like it should be (avy/username displays at full size in left column):
full_width.png

Here is the "phone" mode on my desktop when I reduce the width of the window. This also seems right, in that the avy/username size is reduced to allow for each post to occupy more width:
phone_mode.png

Now here is if I slightly increase the width of the window. It goes to "desktop" mode, but this doesn't seem optimal. Now ~40% of the screen width is occupied by the avy/username. That seems like a bit much, and I personally would greatly prefer if this was changed so that it only kicks into desktop mode when the avy/username column width is <25% of the screen width.

what_is_this.png

Here is what it looks like on my phone:

Screenshot_20170720-011540.png

Also, it's worth noting that my phone is recognized as a phone, in that when I "request desktop site" it switches to a smaller font size, etc. So maybe a possible fix would to make it so that all phones use the "phone" mode, or at least greatly increase the width/resolution before the site kicks into desktop mode with the left column, although I don't know the feasibility of this on the site design end. Or setting this could be a user option at some point.

If I'm the only one who wants this changed, that's ok too. I've mostly got used to it by now, and it's not impeding any functionality on here. But I'd prefer to have the full real estate on a phone be used.

Last edited:
Did you go in and change the DPI on your phone or something? I have a QHD screen with the default DPI and I see the regular phone mode.

yes, i lowered my dpi to 380. Android considers it to be in tablet mode. so this may not be an issue for most people.

This new layout just seems too oversized. the widt and height of each post is just too much. If someone makes a long post its awkward to read. I almost liked the layout better with the ads that took up the space on right side of screen.

Back
Top Bottom