INDIE Music Thread

I'm a huge Sonic Youth fan & being an old head, I've seen them numerous times over a 20 year period. I'm looking forward to Moore's new band & it's release on Matador Records... They recently played someone's birthday party.... Vids in spoiler mode below...

Chelsea Light Moving - Empires Of Time, Alighted, & Lip (Live Northampton, MA 2/24/13)

some of my favorite acts from the past year or two

Have yall peeped that Kavinsky album called OutRun??

Came across by accident. Cant turn it off at all

Just in love with nearly every track on there

Alabama Shakes - Hold On & Always Alright (live on SNL 2/16/13)

:smokin Brittany Howard is a great singer, but this band is pretty tight... Loved their SNL performance...

Billboard.com just posted up this list of the fastest growing artists in the past week on their "Next Big Sound chart. Dope to see Lion Babe on it.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/next-big-sound-25

1. RDGLDGRN

2. The Airplane Boys

3.  Alvaro

4. J. Views

5. French Kiwi Juice

6. Lion Babe

7. YADi

8. Andre Crom

9. Gemini Syndrome

10. Bronze Radio Return

These cats really stood out to me though.. Apparently they did Coachella last year. The Airplane Boys - Her Fault

How ya'll feel ?

Okay this Rhye album (Woman) is ridiculously nice. I was shocked to find out the main vocalist is a man, the voice is so soft almost unmistakably that of a woman, but nonetheless that doesn't detract from the album at all just a thought I had.

Last edited:
^^^ yeah, that rhye album is very very good.. if i didn't already know it was a man i would have also thought it was a woman singing. 

i don't mind though.. he sounds a lot like Sade, and that's not a bad thing at all. i was glad to see they got the Best New Music tag from Pitchfork.

Yup I've heard a lot of the Sade comparisons. Very great voice. I gotta thank Pitchfork for putting me onto this one definitely checked it out because of them.

I've been hearing good things about that new Youth Lagoon as well about to check it out now. Hoping that it doesn't disappoint, his debut album was great.

Still Corners

Youth Lagoon

Little Dragon

Iamsu!

VIBE

The Airplane Boys

OXYxMORON

Check em if you haven't yet

was just listening to the Rhye album last night with my girl and she pretty much said the same things... that he sounds like a girl and sounds like Sade. The album is great though, Robin Hannibal is too nice on the production. Anyone that likes the album should check Mike Milosh's older albums and Robin Hannibals older work (Quadron, Boomclap Bachelors, Owusu & Hannibal)

^ Having met Wayne Coyne twice, I can say he's the **** he tried to make Arcade Fire out to be years ago & exactly what he claimed Beck to be years before that. He also angered the crap out of Erykah Badu by releasing a video without her her mutual consent.

That said their music is way overrated IMO...

Last edited:
The Lips are putting out some of their most creative stuff right now, 30 years after starting. Not a lot of bands can say that.

For me, their one of the best to ever do it and The Soft Bulletin changed my tastes in music forever. Everything they do will be amazing to me I admit the bias, but The Terror is an objectively amazing record, in my opinion.

Beach House - Wishes

Actor Ray Wise looks so weird/erie singing this song... :lol:

IncredibleEv - I tried listening to some more Lips after such a passionate post, but I just don't like them...Just my opinion though so I guess we'll agree to disagree. Cheers...

The album is quite good - more dancey and passion pit-y than the last one which was full of pop bangers. Even though I am NOT a passion pit guy, the new Phoenix brings it wit that Phoenix charm.

Wavves - Demon To Lean On

It's amazing how how the sound/songs of Nathan Williams/Wavves is maturing. Not sure why bands are still doing videos with these type of narratives. I hope this didn't cost much money because it seems like a waste. Love the song though....

The Smiths - Shoplifters of the World Unite & How Soon is Now?

For some reason, that Wavves song made me listen to some Smiths.... I've always loved Johnny Marr's little guitar solo in this song... Always kinda sounded a bit heavy metal to me... Then had to listen to How Soon is Now...

Back
Top Bottom