Information Technology (IT)

So its been two weeks so far at my internship at IHG. Im working in the IT project management team. Any other PMs in here? How do you like the job? Pros? Cons?

I'm late on responding to this. I'm an IT PM, a contractor in the finance industry. I love the actual role when it aligns to the actual BOK but every project is different. Can be exciting/stressful/boring- just depending on the day and the projects in your scope. Keep your stakeholders aligned, they can tell and the project wavers when you don't truly buy in.

Anyone here with a CISSP? Care to share tips, resources, experiences etc? I'm taking the test on Aug 29th: if I fail I'm unemployed
laugh.gif

Anyone take Cloud + from COMPtia? I feel like my knowledge of cloud technology so i bought the study guide. Wondering if its worth it to even take the cert?

Anyone here with a CISSP? Care to share tips, resources, experiences etc? I'm taking the test on Aug 29th: if I fail I'm unemployed
laugh.gif

how many years of EXP you have to be working a job that requires that cert?

I know people at my job with it but no one personally. I hear its quite a difficult test and long one to take but looks like to me you have plenty of time to study if you stay focused.

Good Luck!

I'm late on responding to this. I'm an IT PM, a contractor in the finance industry. I love the actual role when it aligns to the actual BOK but every project is different. Can be exciting/stressful/boring- just depending on the day and the projects in your scope. Keep your stakeholders aligned, they can tell and the project wavers when you don't truly buy in.

Thanks for your response! Are you PMP certified by any chance? Was talking with some people on my team and they said its very beneficial to get it.

how many years of EXP you have to be working a job that requires that cert?

I know people at my job with it but no one personally. I hear its quite a difficult test and long one to take but looks like to me you have plenty of time to study if you stay focused.

Good Luck!

I've heard that it isn't hard but definitely a long test. Back in undergrad a classmate was able to pass it just studying for it between the break of the fall and spring semesters.

Still having issues with the new site.

I have a CISSP. Have had it since 2010 when it was still paper-based.

I did sit through a two-week boot camp. Didn't study besides the little study guides they gave and attempted the practice tests. The instructor said think like a manager. Just thought like a manager and passed the test.

I know a lot of folks that passed the exam. There are some that I know failed. Many times it was due to their knowledge and IT competency. Or maybe just not good test takers.

I plan on taking a PMP course next month. I'll let whoever asked about that one when I take the exam.

Still having issues with the new site.

I have a CISSP. Have had it since 2010 when it was still paper-based.

I did sit through a two-week boot camp. Didn't study besides the little study guides they gave and attempted the practice tests. The instructor said think like a manager. Just thought like a manager and passed the test.

I know a lot of folks that passed the exam. There are some that I know failed. Many times it was due to their knowledge and IT competency. Or maybe just not good test takers.

I plan on taking a PMP course next month. I'll let whoever asked about that one when I take the exam.

I HATE standardized test, but have industry experience. I was also thinking about the PMP X CISSP combo

So I've been working as an overseas contractor for almost 4 months now and this is an extremely easy job. I've had the skillset for this position since high school lol funny how they gate keep these kind of jobs with certs experience, etc . I like it, but am looking for a more technical role in the Middle East. Longer I stay in this role the worse off I am career wise.

So I've been working as an overseas contractor for almost 4 months now and this is an extremely easy job. I've had the skillset for this position since high school lol funny how they gate keep these kind of jobs with certs experience, etc . I like it, but am looking for a more technical role in the Middle East. Longer I stay in this role the worse off I am career wise.

How my last job was. It was so easy it was insulting and the other people there werent that bright so it made things all the more annoying.

Thanks for your response! Are you PMP certified by any chance? Was talking with some people on my team and they said its very beneficial to get it.
Definitely beneficial but no, I keep putting it off smh. I plan to sit for it sometime this year.

Guaranteed 6 figure combo lol .

Honestly, they're great supplemental certs depending on what type of position you're interested in.

By themselves, CISSP is great for INFOSEC positions (don't ask me why). The DoD/Fed Gov requirement for it for IAM/IAT 3 level positions makes it a great investment.

And PMP is great for a project manager.

Met a former vet that used his GI Bill to get the PMP. Shot up from a $40,000-$50,000 position to north of $100,000. He used his first position to catapult him to another a year down the road for $140 K in Florida.

Exactly how I feel in my role.
Worst feeling ever man. Yeah the money is great, but I still have 10 more years in my tech career. I can't get back to the states and 3-4 years and interviewers asked what I've done and all I can really say is troubleshoot and send emails. Glad to be out of coding, but need to maneuver into a more technical role.

Most people here are pretty much in retirement mode late mid 50s to early 60s or just have the mindset of "I can't make this money back in the states and its tax free, so I'm staying forever".

How my last job was. It was so easy it was insulting and the other people there werent that bright so it made things all the more annoying.

Yeah man I need a challenge and need to be with bright people lol . The work is so mundane its ridiculous.

spiderjericho spiderjericho Yeah lol that CISSP is definitely a gate keeper for the well paying INFOSEC positions in the DMV. That is a nice move the vet made, when you have a strategy it definitely can be done.

Yeah it's better to work with a group of smart people that challenge you than being the smartest person in the room.

Anyone got any connections in Michigan for Network Administration? Im planning to take my CCENT next month, and then get my CCNA Routing & Switching after.
Also, Im getting my Network Administration Certificate from a Community College. So After all said and done, ill have my Network Admin Cert and CCNA cert. Am i going on the right path? I need advice.

Anyone got any connections in Michigan for Network Administration? Im planning to take my CCENT next month, and then get my CCNA Routing & Switching after.
Also, Im getting my Network Administration Certificate from a Community College. So After all said and done, ill have my Network Admin Cert and CCNA cert. Am i going on the right path? I need advice.

Have you looked into WGU ?

Back
Top Bottom