Information Technology (IT)

I tell everyone to do a full stack developer course on udemy first before investing in the bootcamp. The courses are very cheap.

Coding isnt for everybody. Half of my bootcamp classmates dropped out before the end. Also only a handful of people got jobs after graduating. Maybe 20-30%

dakingii dakingii nice. Do you mind sharing which bootcamp you went to? I’ve been thinking about doing a masters in cs with my IT degree after taking pre reqs but that’s a long journey, and something I can do when I’m employed.
I did bootcamp with Trilogy Education Services. They partner with colleges around the country.

I did bootcamp with Trilogy Education Services. They partner with colleges around the country.
Oh nice. Do you networking opportunities from the university you chose? Or was job hunting mainly a solo thing without much of a network

I went to a bootcamp. Didnt know how to code at all beforehand. Took a year and some change to get a job because of the pandemic but im a front end developer now, $90k. Will most likely reach six figures this year. I have roughly 6-7 months of experience and get hounded by recruiters daily.

This is it and this is me. I'm in NYC. Heard about this at my second job from a guest I was working with and couldn't believe I didn't know about it before. I know anything about coding either but I am usually good in a classroom.

*thanks for sharing about the stack dev course. I think I might try that first.

Last edited:
Ive heard of hack reactor, code smith, app academy, flatiron, and general assembly as being a few of the popular ones.

They provide networking opportunities but i did it solo.
Solid. Good stuff. I’ve read about how grueling it is to apply- with all the white boarding, multiple long interviews, and all the self studying required. I got respect for it haha.

There was a dev thread with some folks who did do a bootcamp, not so active nowadays though:

Ive heard of hack reactor, code smith, app academy, flatiron, and general assembly as being a few of the popular ones.
Yea these are good ones.

If you have a CS degree i would recommend just doing a course on udemy then grind out Leetcode, codewars, hackerrank, etc.

Companies like Facebook and google hire new CS grads, total comp $200k+ entry level.

Solid. Good stuff. I’ve read about how grueling it is to apply- with all the white boarding, multiple long interviews, and all the self studying required. I got respect for it haha.
Yea the interview process is going to depend on what company you apply for. Top tech companies will put you through the ringer. The company i work for now is small and all i had to do was a take home assessment then an in person interview where i was just told what the job was going to be like then got the offer when i got home.

You really never know what type of process you will get.

Yea these are good ones.

If you have a CS degree i would recommend just doing a course on udemy then grind out Leetcode, codewars, hackerrank, etc.

Companies like Facebook and google hire new CS grads, total comp $200k+ entry level.

Faang and faang tier comp packages are insane haha.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to program but it kicks my *** at a certain stage since C++. Made it a goal though to learn just enough Python to be dangerous this year.

Not knowing much about this .. what is the day to day like for most folks in this field? (any pros and cons maybe). Is there work life balance?

Not knowing much about this .. what is the day to day like for most folks in this field? (any pros and cons maybe). Is there work life balance?

I’m a full-stack developer, but I do more web development than anything else at my current job. My day-to-day is really just working on projects whether it’s building a new website/application or fixing bugs on a current website/application. It’s a pretty easygoing job, so you shouldn’t have an issue with work/life balance. Honestly, I could probably work 2 full-time jobs with the extra time I have, but I’d hate my life if I worked that much :lol:.

One of the cons I’m dealing with is trying to get into management. I don’t know if other people have this issue, but it seems like once you’re a programmer, they want you to stay there. I interviewed for a supervisor position and they asked if I’d be willing to join as a programmer first. If I was earlier in my career, I probably would have taken it, but I’m 10 years in and don’t care to be a programmer anymore. It’s getting monotonous and, although the pay is good, you still get treated like you’re bottom of the totem pole.

degenerate423 degenerate423 Maybe getting a mastrrs and switching companies? Extra work but it could be worth it. Or maybe some manager type certs- PMP, scrum, product owner cert?

That’s where I’m at right now - looking at masters programs. Debating if I even want to stay in tech or just go into a different field all together. I looked into getting my PMP when I found out our PMs are getting $100/hour, but I lost interest going through the course on LinkedIn. I kinda see myself hating it like I do with programming now :lol: :smh:.

That’s where I’m at right now - looking at masters programs. Debating if I even want to stay in tech or just go into a different field all together. I looked into getting my PMP when I found out our PMs are getting $100/hour, but I lost interest going through the course on LinkedIn. I kinda see myself hating it like I do with programming now :lol: :smh:.

Monotony is trouble some. It's one of the reasons I want to leave what Im doing now in education. I figured any job has some of this but that it's limited with tech to a degree or in your case you hit the 10 year mark. Currently my pay isn't poop but kinda meh and the W/L balance is not bad but quality of work and repitition with zero growth possibilities ..is a soul killer.

Monotony is trouble some. It's one of the reasons I want to leave what Im doing now in education. I figured any job has some of this but that it's limited with tech to a degree or in your case you hit the 10 year mark. Currently my pay isn't poop but kinda meh and the W/L balance is not bad but quality of work and repitition with zero growth possibilities ..is a soul killer.

Let me also add that I don’t have a strong passion for coding, so that probably makes it sound worse than it actually is :lol:. I have friends who love it and switching companies is enough to keep things fresh/avoid the monotony for them.

Main reason I’ve stuck with it for so long is the pay is decent and I’ve never had to put in a full 8 hours of work in one day. Even today, I fixed a bug during a meeting, so I’m free the rest of the day.

That sounds amazing haha. Do you mind sharing what sector/ domain you’re in? Or is work life balance based mostly on the company.

Also, maybe it’s a good time to find what you like doing?

That sounds amazing haha. Do you mind sharing what sector/ domain you’re in? Or is work life balance based mostly on the company.

Also, maybe it’s a good time to find what you like doing?

I work in healthcare, but, yeah, it’s based mostly on the company. My friends at Google and Salesforce are always traveling, so I assume it’s not overly demanding over there :lol:.

Yeah, trying to figure out what career would actually give me the most enjoyment now. I always hear people say it doesn’t feel like work when you love what you’re doing, I want to be able to relate :lol: :frown:.

Completed drug test for both jobs today, now the race is on regarding who has a sooner start date. Also still have the 5/6 hour interview coming this month. I got played once by a job and never would happen again. Gave two weeks notice after accepting the offer, Friday evening before I was suppose to start they pulled the job. They did a half *** background check from some company down in SC pulled the wrong guy. Tried to get them to do a thorough background check for an entire week, they refused and the company moved on.

My friend did hack reactor. He's at his second job since finishing the program and it's job at Google. Doing pretty well

Anyone here work in healthcare and/or the healthcare aspect of IT?

Yea these are good ones.

its all over tiktok with people flexing how much they make from FAANG as a software engineer. its actually nuts.

the only thing is people dont realize how hard it is to actually land a job in there though. the competition is ridiculous unless you get referred by someone.

i had an interview with Google once back during my senior year in college and I didnt even get passed the first round. it was a technical interview with 2 questions lmao.

My friend did hack reactor. He's at his second job since finishing the program and it's job at Google. Doing pretty well

Anyone here work in healthcare and/or the healthcare aspect of IT?
I tried to get my masters in informatics online. Flamed out hard, somehow still got like a 3.0 gpa, owe 15k for like 3 semesters. Learned nothing. My own fault tho

Back
Top Bottom