Information Technology (IT)

I imagine it's worse in management. Just seems like a lot of egos involved.
It is, but worst is usually your own management, bull**** flows from the top down. Got a taste of it early and i'll pass for my sanity even though it would be an easier transition into to make more money.

You'll never stop dealing with people in IT, but yeah it's different outside the end user side.

Folks who aren't tech savvy are great, they follow instructions. It's the ones who know just enough to be dangerous that you should look out for.
From my experience, the non tech savvy ones be even more upset because they have absolutely no idea on why things aren't working perfect :lol:

Folks who aren't tech savvy are great, they follow instructions. It's the ones who know just enough to be dangerous that you should look out for.

The non tech saavy don't even try, they just come straight to you to hand feed them what they need. We have an office in Plano, TX and Chicago, IL. The office in Chicago is super self sufficient. Our Plano office is big on hand holding.

As long as they aren't rude I could deal with it, it's not their area of expertise so I understand. I look at it like i'm sure if I was exposed to their field i'd probably feel out of place too. If they could handle it, then why do they need you? Nah mean?

The non tech savvy sr. tech people will always be the wildest to me though. Like bruh your title is Sr Network security engineer God? Is this a test? :lol:

As long as they aren't rude I could deal with it, it's not their area of expertise so I understand. I look at it like i'm sure if I was exposed to their field i'd probably feel out of place too. If they could handle it, then why do they need you? Nah mean?

The non tech savvy sr. tech people will always be the wildest to me though. Like bruh your title is Sr Network security engineer God? Is this a test? :lol:
Valid point...I guess I'm always a fan of if you're given instructions at least try first. If it doesn't work I'm glad to work on it and figure it out with you.

OAN, I never thought creating GPOs would be this interesting along with using Powershell.

I used to envy management in IT, but after doing this for the past 3 months, not so much anymore. Dealing with people takes patience to say the at least. Seems like alot of folks hop in IT for the $$ with no desire to put in the necessary work.
A coworker shared a video about this guy talking about this amazing mechanic...but when he got promoted to just managing other mechanics and the business, he became a poor performer.

We’re on NT. I’m sure MJ enjoyed being that competitive player. But as soon as he became the owner…I’m sure all of his perspective on the two Jerry’s changed.

As far as the PII conversation. You SHOULD use your clearance as an asset. Personally, I have it listed on my resume, LinkedIn. I just get a lil wary of who contacts me…especially if I list my location as DMV, etc. It’s not difficult to triangulate and ascertain what sector I am affiliated with. As a former user of NSA.gov…we’d like to think there isn’t spy vs spy. But there is…

From my experience, the non tech savvy ones be even more upset because they have absolutely no idea on why things aren't working perfect :lol:
when i worked helpdesk it was funny

dude emailed us asking to put thermal paste on his cpu claiming it would boost performance

another dude bought his own ram and thought we wouldnt find out he installed it lmao

when i worked helpdesk it was funny

dude emailed us asking to put thermal paste on his cpu claiming it would boost performance

another dude bought his own ram and thought we wouldnt find out he installed it lmao
I’ve dealt with the idiots installing ram themselves and it never ends well. Always run into issues because people don’t know exactly what they are buying and think everything works with everything

Ya think an Indeed account is worth it?

I don't have one. Just a LinkedIn.
Are you new to job hunting or cleared. If so it is imperative, basically layups for jobs.

Decided against getting my AWS cert, hoping... No speaking I will start my masters at Mason next year, don't want to go through the trouble of getting AWS cert and then not using it for a year or year and a half while in school. I will begin studying for my PMP though since I'm not planning on taking any certs this year. Then just continue to renew it. I was on the fence but sent the curriculum to my informal mentor and he agreed. Continue working part time job and just stack money in hopes of paying masters off in one go around. Patiently waiting on that loan forgiveness on undergrad. LMAO.

Day 3 of my new job as a junior test engineer at an HR software company.
I don’t know C# so while I’m still learning the language, I’ve been reviewing the regression test cases on Jira Zephyr Scale.

I don’t know who made them in the past but jesus christ
Hardly any of the cases had any objectives or pre-conditions filled out

On nearly every regression test I reviewed today, whoever made them managed to **** up step 1 of the test script: login.
Instead of describing logging in as whatever user was required, this dude made a callback to a testcase about opening a personnel file.
In that callback, the initial steps were to first log in as admin. The next step was to click “sign in as” (an admin-only option that allows you to ‘pretend’ to only have employee privileges for example) and use that to sign in as the actual required user.

…You can just log in right away as the required user. Why on earth log in twice?
And in virtually every other test case, the initial login step was a callback to that nonsense.

Even more absurd, this dude made a login as (whatever) testcase and even the test script in those one’s are just a callback to the login steps of that testcase about opening a personnel file.

I showed my boss, who seemed surprised and thought it was ridiculous. My coworkers came around to check as well, laughed, and said ‘yeah that must’ve been Francis, I don’t think he actually did much work on anything’

This is somehow a very successful company and our software is used in a majority of the big hospitals.

Last edited:
been studying for the ccna.. its basically an unspoken rule to at least have your ccna at my new job.

over 35% of the company holds their CCIE and like half of the company holds their CCNP.... its weird being surrounded by super smart people but it motivates me for sure.

Anyone gotten an IA Certificate? Some government jobs are requiring it, but I can’t find a “certified” program that’s DoD approved.

datznasty datznasty :nerd:.
Link:

I got the CISSP, CISM, CASP CE+, CISA, blah, blah, blah.

It's just a check in the box. The whole "process" is just a CYA. It really doesn't prove anything lol. And seems a little antiquated.
Are you new to job hunting or cleared. If so it is imperative, basically layups for jobs.

Decided against getting my AWS cert, hoping... No speaking I will start my masters at Mason next year, don't want to go through the trouble of getting AWS cert and then not using it for a year or year and a half while in school. I will begin studying for my PMP though since I'm not planning on taking any certs this year. Then just continue to renew it. I was on the fence but sent the curriculum to my informal mentor and he agreed. Continue working part time job and just stack money in hopes of paying masters off in one go around. Patiently waiting on that loan forgiveness on undergrad. LMAO.
Yes to both. I've been active duty military for a minute.

Upgraded my Linkdein to Premium today and updated it a lil.

Created an Indeed account. Definitely needs more work.
been studying for the ccna.. its basically an unspoken rule to at least have your ccna at my new job.

over 35% of the company holds their CCIE and like half of the company holds their CCNP.... its weird being surrounded by super smart people but it motivates me for sure.
35%

Wow. That's crazy. Is it a VAR? Usually CCIE sell their "services" to VARs so they can have better status with Cisco.

I will officially graduate Warrant Officer Candidate School tomorrow. Starting the Basic Course on Monday and the first block of instruction is CCNA :smokin
Jelly too. I should have went Army Warrant. The schools they have are legit.

But I’m okay being a retired Marine CWO3 lol with CCNP blah blah blah.

Man I can't figure out why i'm so bad at interviews. I turn into straight Ben Simmons, like some kinda mental block.

Back
Top Bottom