Information Technology (IT)

Thinking about going the Cyber Security route. Can anyone point me to a good online program/website?
Would a degree be better than a certificate?

got an interview for what seems to be an SCCM heavy position, obviously the recruiter interviewed me first and he loved my experience and wants to go forward, but idk sounds like they want SCCM and built from the ground up. I used it before and even then was forever ago but it was already built. On site, but it's my favorite part of town and like under 10 minutes from where I live and a +12k increase from where I am now so I can deal with that. I might need to look at an SCCM book or youtube before the interview
I dabble in SCCM here and there but couldn’t build it out. Normally it’s already built and I do things here and there in it like you said :lol:. But hit up YouTube they got videos but mainly application/software updates deployment probably. And this guy is pretty good. https://www.prajwaldesai.com/

Last edited:
Get your certs, get some experience. Depending on your work ethics, you may get in faster that way than doing the degree, then having to get the experience.
Also, having some bug bounties but especially unpaid examples of successfully discovering and reporting cybersecurity vulnerabilities is always handy too.
silverpsycho12 silverpsycho12
It immediately strengthens potential employers' view of your motivation. Depending on what kind of vulnerabilities you report and how you find them, it can also give them a window into your creative thinking. As your skill and knowledge improves, you can start small with bruteforcing vulnerabilities. It's kinda wild just how many websites are vulnerable to it and bruteforcing is something you can easily do with Burp Suite. Just make sure to only test and prove it on your own account(s).

$1 courses

I got Practical Ethical Hacking, Malware Analysis and a Linux 101 course for a total of $3.
BFED12E5-5DA5-477C-9218-8318662DBEEF.jpeg

Get your certs, get some experience. Depending on your work ethics, you may get in faster that way than doing the degree, then having to get the experience.

This is 1000% facts. I’ve leveled up with only an associates degree but I have 6 different certs with government and contractor experience. Resume is filled with why I did something, what I did, how it was done, and how much money or time it saved. Each bullet point is a project or an accomplished goal.

Any tips/skills recommended to brush up on as I try to make this journey from service desk to sysadmin work?

I plan on applying to places in a couple months

Any tips/skills recommended to brush up on as I try to make this journey from service desk to sysadmin work?

I plan on applying to places in a couple months
Ehhh, when I think of sys admin I think of Active Directory, understanding domain controllers, group policy, file shares, patching/compliance, server management, VMWare. The list can go on, a sys admin responsibilities all look different depending on the role

Ehhh, when I think of sys admin I think of Active Directory, understanding domain controllers, group policy, file shares, patching/compliance, server management, VMWare. The list can go on, a sys admin responsibilities all look different depending on the role
Pretty much exactly what i do as a Windows Sys Admin for GdIt. Lowkey came in completely green on some things (gpos and vmware) and am now the SME on the team on them.

The biggest attaboys you’ll get is when there is some sort of CISA vulnerability released right and you have to remediate it across your entire environment and your boss is like how will we make this registry workaround or disable a service on XX computers? And you, and admittedly I be in google heavy sometimes, just create a gpo that for example disabled print spooler service and drop it at the top of the OU and tell them rescan and the vulnerability is gone. And your boss can report to his boss its handled

On our VDI stuff, they just scan our base image so i kind of cheat, I dont got nothing on there except Office and Edge and all the other apps we use I pilut in individual app stacks so theyre only dropped on a machine when an entitled user signs on. So even if it was a vulnerable app and I didnt stay in top of version updates, we’d never get hit on a scan for it.

I be getting lowkey reprimanded for other bs tho

Basically sums it up + other rights such as phone service management(My work place uses Mitel but transitioning to Zoom), Exchange, Device management(Meraki) + more. By as Kenb said, it varies on the workplace and what they use. We're starting to also transition to straight up VDI so we can easily build out laptops for new hires.

My work place has free access to Pluralsight so we can look up stuff to study on which can benefit us for future opportunities.

Anyone here in Qa? Been trying to switch company’s recently. Not getting too many interviews. Feels strange because it sounds like the markets still decent.

Got a new job with Telos again (technically the 3rd time with them) on Tinker AFB. They said on site 5 days which sucks but if its like it was prepandemic, they had us working from home before it was even a thing. And on days that I am on site, my okdest goes to school that way so I can pick her up so thats a French benefit as well. Gave me 10k raise +3k sign on bonus. I been wfh mostly since Jan 2020, barely wore anything other than sweat or sweat shorts and slides, i gotta get some clothes. Oh and theyre gonna upgrade me to ts/sci

I'm trying to get like you my boy.. haha

Still working to knock out this solution architect associate
Then imma hit Ledios up for a cloud engineering job. Or who ever!

always felt like sysadmin was a glorified desktop support.... couldnt do it personally and turned down a position for it.

rather go into a more specialized role like networking, cloud, collab, etc. easy 100k+ with less work.

During our Daily Standup (DSU) meeting today, my boss was discussing the results of a security firm hired to run do thorough pen testing.
At some point, he said "...so basically to sniff out the biggest dangers to our security, though of course the biggest security threat is sitting right there (points at me)" :lol: In a joking/praising manner of course.

Been getting nothing but very positive reviews from coworkers but also from the boss, who still can't quite wrap his head around how I came up with the exploit to log onto the system admin, or anyone else's account with having to know their password. Tbh I don't know either, I just randomly thought during some exploratory testing that messing around with invsisible characters ( Hold Alt+0173 )could result in interesting shenanigans.
And the pen test didn't find that exploit either, even though the testing was done while that exploit hadn't been found yet. So I take that as a proud achievement.

First I had to fill in correct login credentials for a random user. Note how the bottom Cel and Werkset are interactable.
02f2795cc44d08745c48ad12e882ee3c.png

The user with an invisible character usernale shows up as -
I had to first enter legitimate credentials, then change the username to the account I wanted to log in without password, which was the system admin account in this case.
The red text in the screenshot below says "now enter the user you want to log onto without pass", after step 1
Don't enter a password.
397b13ffd5425ec4be41ffd957b26897.png

Then I changed the username from the system admin to my invisible character user. Note how you suddenly see the bottom Cel and Workset screen is interactible, which means I've been authenticated and can log in.
72c95e97d9832cdad2dea313fe0ece86.png

When I then click on "Tobacube starten" ("Start Tobacube", which means logging in) , I'm suddenly logged in on the system admin without having to even enter a password, much less know it.
(The users in this screenshot are all made up test users, not real clients of course.
1c4ca345d2b83a9f6b23e6b7ef31aae0.png

Last edited:
I'm trying to get like you my boy.. haha

Still working to knock out this solution architect associate
Then imma hit Ledios up for a cloud engineering job. Or who ever!
you got it bro, you gon make way more than me.

first day today, love the first month or so of a new job, just stealing money practically while you have to hurry up and wait for various accounts to be set up. Orientation zoom about to let out now and I still get to charge a full day of course

you got it bro, you gon make way more than me.

first day today, love the first month or so of a new job, just stealing money practically while you have to hurry up and wait for various accounts to be set up. Orientation zoom about to let out now and I still get to charge a full day of course
That's real. Finesse-in with that easy bag.
Appreciate it man. I knocked out the CCP exam, it was a lot easier than expected. Took to much time studying for it(Mistake on my part).
I been wondering if I need that sys admin or network admin experience.
I'm studying and doing projects now, So when I hit these interviews I have something to show.

Somehow someway I’ve finessed my way into another position that requires Security + which I still don’t have yet. Had the initial phone screen with recruiter at the beginning of the month, had a virtual interview with the operations director and program manager, follow up interview two days later with operations director, then today got the offer letter and that they want to start me without waiting for me to get the Security +.

Apparently they were extremely impressed during the interview because I answered every question perfectly. I’ll be honest, I’m terrible with interviews for the simple fact I can show you better than explaining it so I was surprised this process took less than 2 weeks.

35k increase along with a lead title now. Slightly further commute but it’ll workout since I’ll be going in at 6am which will let me beat traffic. They will maintain my TS clearance even though it only requires secret so that was another plus. They’ll also reimburse me for the security + voucher once I pass it.

I received the email while I’m in the office and dam near shed some tears man I’m so happy :nthat:

Bruh what is with these old heads that thinks it's everyone elses problem but theirs that they don't know how to use the tools for the role they were hired?

Back
Top Bottom