Information Technology (IT)

Yeah you have to think about the return on investment. Take out some loans and knock it out. The degree will put you where you need to be.

yup, I switched jobs so I have to wait 6 months before I can sign up for Tuition reimbursement, but the program I`m in isn't crazy expensive, and I didnt have much undergrad debt, so I just said screw it and still started.

Yea, Pitt's MSIS program is $23k/yr not including books, fees, etc. One of the highest "public" colleges in the state. Only other ones around me w/ a similar program are CMU and Duquesne so price wise, I'm screwed :lol:

yup, I switched jobs so I have to wait 6 months before I can sign up for Tuition reimbursement, but the program I`m in isn't crazy expensive, and I didnt have much undergrad debt, so I just said screw it and still started.

That's not bad at all especially for long term.

If you are atleast part times your loans go into the grace period. I am trying to get financial aid to help offset these upfront cost per semester.

dathbgboy dathbgboy Plenty of programs don't require GRE or letter of recommendation. Look into it.
I'm at John Hopkins all I had to do was submit my resume and transcript. I don't have time for the standardized test :lol:.

Last edited:
That's very rare that a program won't take at least 1 letter of recommendation. GRE scores and the like just vary by program.

Hopkins' EP program doesn't require them, but the full-time grad programs there require 2 LoRs and GRE scores. Plus its 48k a year full-time compared to whatever the course cost is for the EP (which in total probably wont amount to that).

Just make sure when you research schools to look at the programs they offer (whether full-time or part time) and any criteria that may differ between them.

This site has a list of schools and their programs that don't require the GRE: http://ainsleydiduca.com/grad-schools-dont-require-gre/#CS

Hopkins EP program is $3710 per class, so 37K for the entire program. I don't see the point in going full time when you could just do the EP program online or hybrid (2 classes/ semester) and save money.

Check out Old Dominion Universities program, only 15K to complete the entire program.

Last edited:
Why go all out for an expensive masters program why not just get a second bachelors. This guy still doesn't have work experience getting the masters may offer some opprotunities but there are a lot of bachelors to -> entry level programs out there most companies won't even discriminate on age

Why go all out for an expensive masters program why not just get a second bachelors. This guy still doesn't have work experience getting the masters may offer some opprotunities but there are a lot of bachelors to -> entry level programs out there most companies won't even discriminate on age

Masters were created for people trying o switch industries and or get into management/senior role. A 2nd bachelors is hustling backwards lol

Yea, a second bachelors is kind of pointless when you look at the whole picture.

Been looking at some of the programs that HankHill HankHill posted and I'm looking into online online since i'm not near any of the programs. The GRE does seem pointless when you are applying to certain programs, just a waste of money.

at the end of the day, I have to get out of Pittsburgh in order to take advantage of a lot things.

Yea, a second bachelors is kind of pointless when you look at the whole picture.

Been looking at some of the programs that HankHill HankHill posted and I'm looking into online online since i'm not near any of the programs. The GRE does seem pointless when you are applying to certain programs, just a waste of money.

at the end of the day, I have to get out of Pittsburgh in order to take advantage of a lot things.

it is a waste of time lol, all masters programs make you take Pre-reqs if to give you a foundation if your bachelors isn't in the field.

So i am in need of some career advice. any response would be helpful. I am a graduating senior(may 2016) majoring in computer engineering and i am looking at jobs via indeed and linkedin. My biggest focus is securing a job before graduation. I have a lot of experience as far as projects that we do in my classes but no professional experience as far as internships. (yea i know i messed up there). I do not want to go to grad school unless being paid for by job because truthfully I just do want to do the school environment thing again for another 2 years with exams and all that. I just want to learn but in an environment thats not academic. I am interested working for a global company like Johnson Controls and AECOM. I see JC has some programs for recently graduated students that offer experience in different fields. I go to Howard so Im aware of the government opportunities here as well in DC. Is there any suggestions on companies that offer similar programs or any advice to help y search? thanks in advance

@wdsoccer33  Since you graduate in May start applying to everything now. Hopefully your GPA is at least a 3.0 it will make obtaining a job much easier.

The recent grad program you are talking about is offered at many companies, but most are highly competitive (3.5+ GPA, experience, etc).

I think that the easiest recent grad program to get into is Northrop Grumman's. They now put all of their recent grads into a rotational program

where you rotate to 3 different positions then after your 3rd rotation you get a permanent position. At NG you can start using education assistance benefits

as soon as you start working. I have a few classmates in the rotational program.

Also, since you go to Howard I would suggest for you to look into the NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers).

The national convention is in March 2016 in Boston,MA this year. NSBE holds the largest engineering career fair in the US there

will be over 300 companies in attendance. All 24 of our seniors landed a full time position at the NSBE convention in Cali last year.

I highly suggest for you to get active in NSBE and attend the convention.

I believe JC attends the career fair, I know that AECOM does forsure.

Here is a link to the floor plan of the career fair in Cali and the year before in Nashville. I can't find the entire company list, but this will give you a general idea.

http://nsbe.org/getmedia/6ef1040f-1457-4cc3-9d9a-c5684293cda7/Career-Fair-Floor-plan.pdf.aspx

http://www.nsbe.org/getmedia/015f71...b27a/NSBE14-CareerFair-L89913-FP-3-12-14.aspx

capital sb capital sb thanks i greatly appreciate it. Yea the rotational program is the same thing I was referring to when I mentioned JC. That seems ideal where I can get an overall experience. I will look more into the NSBE link as well as Northrop. I was a member my freshman year but my only regret is that I was not very active because I play(ed) soccer as well for Howard so playing a D1 sport and engineering is already a handful. I applied to AECOM over the summer but the only position they had vacant was more for a Comp Sci major. Again I really appreciate it.

I'm looking for some advice from people that have a good amount of experience in the IT field, hiring experience or just any input in general.

I started my Master's at a top ranking program and that comes with a huge price. Total cost is around 40K after everything is said and done. 

Even if I stretch out the the program to 3.5 years I am looking at around 5K out of pocket each year for a total of 15K after obtaining the degree. My employer provides assistance, but I have to pay for the classes upfront at $3700/class then get reimbursed after completion.

I already have 30K in loans from UG and I do not want to take out anymore loans for advanced degrees. 

My goal is to eventually obtain a MBA from Georgetown, so if I have to pay some out of pocket I'd rather it be towards the MBA.

So, my thinking is to switch to a much cheaper program that I can finish in 1.5 years. Maybe get a raise and promotion faster?

Total cost would be 16.5K for the entire program and $0 out of pocket for me.

I am wondering what other people think is more important and if you think the advance degree school matters in this industry?

My dad got his BS and MS from Strayer and makes good money. I even have some coworkers at Strayer now.

Which scenario would you choose and why?

MS and MBA from top ranking programs ( possibly 30K+ out of pocket on top of 30K in loans already),

or MS from an okay program and MBA from top ranking program (around 15K out of pocket 5-7 years from now for MBA).

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can provide some insight. 

Only thing that has me hesitant is if I don't get the MBA and end up with just the MS degree from the okay school.

Last edited:

MS and MBA from top ranking programs ( possibly 30K+ out of pocket on top of 30K in loans already),
or MS from an okay program and MBA from top ranking program (around 15K out of pocket 5-7 years from now for MBA).

I'd go MS from an okay program and MBA from a top program. Being that your UG was in CS, I don't think the MS offers much more in salary to offset the cost of going to a top school and I don't think where you get your degree matters much for the STEM programs. MBA is a different beast though :lol:.

I'd go MS from an okay program and MBA from a top program. Being that your UG was in CS, I don't think the MS offers much more in salary to offset the cost of going to a top school and I don't think where you get your degree matters much for the STEM programs. MBA is a different beast though :lol:.

That is my exact thinking, I'm not sure how much the MS will have. The degree from the okay school would literally be a checkmark for satisfying a MS degree on my resume when apply to other companies. It's not a good school at all.

A PM at my job got his MS from the school he says it was fine just a ton of reading and writing.

Last edited:
For MS I don't think the school matters. Especially if the school is local to where you work. Are you thinking UMUC?

This, alot of IT folks will do wgu, umuc, strayer etc for MS. But for MBA I always think go big name or cheap, not inbetween.

I was looking at the VA tech dual degree MIT/MBA program.

Last edited:
ROI for MBA is much higher than MSc in this industry but they are very different. Neither is needed to get to the top but would make it easier (MBA for a management role; MSc for a technical role). This is the reason why Im not pursuing an MBA plus my current employer only reimburses like $5k per year.

The better question is, what do you want to do in your career?

Last edited:
For MS I don't think the school matters. Especially if the school is local to where you work. Are you thinking UMUC?

Yes thinking UMUC, so Hopkins vs UMUC for my MS. I'm thinking about pursuing the MSIT w/ Project Management concentration at UMUC. It kind of relates to my current position I have to talk to my manager to see if they would aprove it.

M Mark Antony That dual degree program sounds interesting, but how is VTechs MBA program?

unkn0wn unkn0wn Honestly since I'm so early into my career I don't have an exact position I am aiming for, but I know that I would like to be on the technical business side. The architect solution engineer position lucky posted actually seems like something I could see myself doing in the future. That would be a long term goal. Short term I am actually trying to get into an overseas technical position.

Last edited:

Yes thinking UMUC, so Hopkins vs UMUC for my MS. I'm thinking about pursuing the MSIT w/ Project Management concentration at UMUC. It kind of relates to my current position I have to talk to my manager to see if they would aprove it.

M Mark Antony That dual degree program sounds interesting, but how is VTechs MBA program?

unkn0wn unkn0wn Honestly since I'm so early into my career I don't have an exact position I am aiming for, but I know that I would like to be on the technical business side. The architect solution engineer position lucky posted actually seems like something I could see myself doing in the future. That would be a long term goal. Short term I am actually trying to get into an overseas technical position.

Look into getting your CAPM/PMP too if you're going the PM route. those certs plus knowledge of Agile and Scrum will carry a lot of weight.

Look into getting your CAPM/PMP too if you're going the PM route. those certs plus knowledge of Agile and Scrum will carry a lot of weight.

Haven't heard of the CAPM, but I plan on getting the PMP cert once I meet all of the requirements.

Both UMUC and Hopkins will satisfy the educational requirements for the PMP, I still need to hit the hours though. That could take a while, who knows when I will get my first PM assignment.

I think a project+ plus is a quick way to meet the hours if you feel like going that route. But i'm not sure how good VT's MBA program is, seems decent.

Back
Top Bottom