Information Technology (IT)

Need some advice from you guys. I'll be done with my BA this summer but I want to get into the tech field. Counselor suggested getting my masters in CS but I don't want to take the GRE. I'll admit my gpa isn't at a 3.0 so I know I'll have to bring that up but would a masters be my only option in getting a job? I know there are certifications I can get but I'm hearing that doesn't really help in getting a job.
Certs help you get your foot in the door by providing some credibility, and your college degree will surely do the same. I've acquired 95% of my IT knowledge from working in the field and sponging as much information as possible. Find a mentor, ask questions and remain interested -- there's no better way to learn.... other than CBT nuggets
nthat.gif

I currently hold an A.A.S in networking, along with a Lean Six Sigma cert and Certified Scrum Master. I'm stepping out of the IT realm and leaning more into business as i'm currently a Project Manager and looking to stay that route but in the Agile environment.

I am in school completing my degree and working towards my PMP. I would say that certs definitely get you in the door, especially if you can sell yourself well. The certifications that I currently hold seem to trump the degree (at least in the companies that I have worked within). But I am in school as personal achievement and to stay in the fold of my current contacts/mentors.

I currently hold an A.A.S in networking, along with a Lean Six Sigma cert and Certified Scrum Master. I'm stepping out of the IT realm and leaning more into business as i'm currently a Project Manager and looking to stay that route but in the Agile environment.

I am in school completing my degree and working towards my PMP. I would say that certs definitely get you in the door, especially if you can sell yourself well. The certifications that I currently hold seem to trump the degree (at least in the companies that I have worked within). But I am in school as personal achievement and to stay in the fold of my current contacts/mentors.
Agile is hot, I was thinking about getting the cert but I felt it wouldn't be that beneficial being I dont work in an Agile environment, but having Agile on your resume will get you some looks.

Agile/Scrum and PM in general will get you some looks along w/ the exp. More and more businesses are realizing that you have a Sr. level programmer do the jobs of of a Scrum Master or PM.

pimp.gif
Gotta finesse through them math courses by any means necessary.

Certs help you get your foot in the door by providing some credibility, and your college degree will surely do the same. I've acquired 95% of my IT knowledge from working in the field and sponging as much information as possible. Find a mentor, ask questions and remain interested -- there's no better way to learn.... other than CBT nuggets
nthat.gif

Agile is hot, I was thinking about getting the cert but I felt it wouldn't be that beneficial being I dont work in an Agile environment, but having Agile on your resume will get you some looks.
Agile/Scrum and PM in general will get you some looks along w/ the exp. More and more businesses are realizing that you have a Sr. level programmer do the jobs of of a Scrum Master or PM.
Ahhhhh Scrum.....I was a CSM but it expired a year or so ago. I still do get hits about being a Scrum Master for jobs but was never interested in it. I was with a company that was really pushing it since we were "dev heavy" so they had classes for everyone to go to for free and take the exam at the end. 

New job now (well, 7 months now but I used to work here for a few years from 08-11)....we just hired an older guy who is allllllll about Agile/SCRUM....these daily stand ups, sprint planning meetings, and meetings to go over and define user stories.....I was recently bumped to Team Lead and have a couple guys under me so I have to be in the meetings with him and help break out all this stuff... Man....don't miss this stuff 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

On another note, I am automating some of the stuff we are doing so I am getting more involved with scripting and making .BATs and PowerShell scripts.
nthat.gif

I used to make small files or run commands frequently, but I am talking about more detailed ones to perform certain tasks, check files sums, and output various log files to determine what else to do and stuff like that now. Liking this part of it right now instead of just the deployment and building of servers/VMs and integrating them into whatever we are trying to do at the moment. 

Good to see you guys doing well in here still, and congrats on going back to school, finishing school, landing jobs and getting these certs for all you guys! 
nthat.gif

Ahhhhh Scrum.....I was a CSM but it expired a year or so ago. I still do get hits about being a Scrum Master for jobs but was never interested in it. I was with a company that was really pushing it since we were "dev heavy" so they had classes for everyone to go to for free and take the exam at the end. 

New job now (well, 7 months now but I used to work here for a few years from 08-11)....we just hired an older guy who is allllllll about Agile/SCRUM....these daily stand ups, sprint planning meetings, and meetings to go over and define user stories.....I was recently bumped to Team Lead and have a couple guys under me so I have to be in the meetings with him and help break out all this stuff... Man....don't miss this stuff :lol: :smh:

On another note, I am automating some of the stuff we are doing so I am getting more involved with scripting and making .BATs and PowerShell scripts. :nthat:
I used to make small files or run commands frequently, but I am talking about more detailed ones to perform certain tasks, check files sums, and output various log files to determine what else to do and stuff like that now. Liking this part of it right now instead of just the deployment and building of servers/VMs and integrating them into whatever we are trying to do at the moment. 

Good to see you guys doing well in here still, and congrats on going back to school, finishing school, landing jobs and getting these certs for all you guys! :nthat:

Nice, I started out in Software Dev, and I`m in Infrastructure now, at first I wanted to go back to Software Dev but I sat back and looked at some long term things I wanted to do and decided to stick with it. Since I`m getting my masters right now my goal is to try to knock out a cert in between each semester since some of my classes touch on these things (i.e.. MCSE).

I think when I finish my masters I will try to move to a different project (I`m in a Consulting Company) as a lower level Solution Architect, so in my current role even though I`m a BA I`m trying to get involved with the Architects there so I can at least get some experience on creating Enterprise solutions so I have something to put on the resume other than just Certs. If I can't move to a different project/position then I may try my luck in Sales/Solution Engineering roles because that is another path into becoming an Architect. Want to focus on Cloud and Business Intelligence. As I mentioned in the other thread though I still plan on keeping my ear to the streets in Software development because there are some things I`m interesting in doing on the side from an entrepreneur perspective.

nthat.gif
^This

I have seen times where as long as they can get you in the door with at least some kind of degree, they don't even care. It is just a requirement that the position requires and if they can say it is related somehow, you are good. Two of our more senior systems guys here....one was going to back to school now since they wanted him to have a B.S and not just an Associates, and the other has a degree in Behavioral Science 
laugh.gif

My last job, our network architect (now works for Cisco) and has had his CCIE for like 7 years now, and has a degree in Criminal Justice, haha

Real world experience is definitely coveted over just certs and degree. The jobs and work are out here though, so don't get frustrated. It will work out in the end. 

I'm thinking of getting back into a more technical engineer/admin role before I pursue the management realm again. It's like if you get put into leadership too early (ie help desk/support) they're hesitant to let you manage anything else without that experience. Which I don't understand how non technical dudes get in there in the first place.

I'm thinking of getting back into a more technical engineer/admin role before I pursue the management realm again. It's like if you get put into leadership too early (ie help desk/support) they're hesitant to let you manage anything else without that experience. Which I don't understand how non technical dudes get in there in the first place.

When you look at it, majority of leadership got into companies in the 80s-90s when the talent pools were damn near non existent, you had guys with only HS Diplomas and a few Certs making bank. The industry has totally different needs now yet you have out of touch people calling shots. There is nothing to even develop talent nowadays besides a few companies that have Development programs, outside of that most companies just outsource the projects that would normally go to someone considered entry level.

When you look at it, majority of leadership got into companies in the 80s-90s when the talent pools were damn near non existent, you had guys with only HS Diplomas and a few Certs making bank. The industry has totally different needs now yet you have out of touch people calling shots. There is nothing to even develop talent nowadays besides a few companies that have Development programs, outside of that most companies just outsource the projects that would normally go to someone considered entry level.

Say it again bruh. I think we had a discussion on this before about job descriptions not matching the true responsibilities of a specific position. I think that there will be another shift in the next 10 years but hopefully we'll all have positions are in the positions to call the shots by then.

Nice, I started out in Software Dev, and I`m in Infrastructure now, at first I wanted to go back to Software Dev but I sat back and looked at some long term things I wanted to do and decided to stick with it. Since I`m getting my masters right now my goal is to try to knock out a cert in between each semester since some of my classes touch on these things (i.e.. MCSE).

I think when I finish my masters I will try to move to a different project (I`m in a Consulting Company) as a lower level Solution Architect, so in my current role even though I`m a BA I`m trying to get involved with the Architects there so I can at least get some experience on creating Enterprise solutions so I have something to put on the resume other than just Certs. If I can't move to a different project/position then I may try my luck in Sales/Solution Engineering roles because that is another path into becoming an Architect. Want to focus on Cloud and Business Intelligence. As I mentioned in the other thread though I still plan on keeping my ear to the streets in Software development because there are some things I`m interesting in doing on the side from an entrepreneur perspective.
Nice. I need to look into the 2012 Server stuff myself. I have the MCITP for 2008 but....we know how the gov't goes....they not moving onto 2012 platforms until accreditations have expired or something, lol. 

The Solutions Architect thing will definitely be dope and definitely net you some good pay. I was doing it at my last job, and they just were treating it as that was what I was supposed to be doing....as a Sys Admin II 
indifferent.gif
mean.gif

Customer was literally telling me "we need a system to do XYZ". I would research that area, gather various vendors and their product, have meetings with them about their products and determine the one that would work for us and our environment. I was specing out the hardware to order if we needed any, and I was installing, configuring, testing, hardening, and deploying it for us. I would even tie it back into our CommVault backup solution (with NetApp back-end) to make sure it was being backed up properly. Needless to say.....I was promoted to a level 3 Admin at least by the end of it since the guy that was in that spot finally showed that he was an idiot and didn't know anything. 
laugh.gif

We were setting security policies for servers in our environment. He was still logging in to each individual server and setting them. I told him that he should be using GPOs for majority that and it was the whole purpose of them to set settings in one place and it takes effect on all servers in our domain. If you are the so-called 12-15 years experience guy, I shouldn't have to tell you this type of thing, lol. He ended up modifying the Domain Controller GPOs to only allow "Server Admins" to Access the Network and logon, and locked out everyone in our environment right in the middle of the day (government customers and all) 
roll.gif
. He was always so obvious with it too. He would come from the data center or something and ask me "Can you still log on? Is everything still up?". My reply to him would be "what did you do?" and he would just say "Oh nothing. I was just making sure everything was still good." 
laugh.gif

Crazy how you very rarely ever see internships or Jr level type of work in the IT field these days. Not sure where they are going to find everyone with at least a couple years of experience if nobody offering entry level type jobs anymore. 
Say it again bruh. I think we had a discussion on this before about job descriptions not matching the true responsibilities of a specific position. I think that there will be another shift in the next 10 years but hopefully we'll all have positions are in the positions to call the shots by then.
So damn true man. I will never forget...my IT Director (so called IT guy from the late 80s-early 90s; pretty sure he was just a help desk tech or something) told me "I don't have to know what VMWare is or what the interface looks like. That is what I pay you to do."

In my head the IT Director for a company should definitely know what products he has and what they look like and at least can explain how they are supposed to work from high-level point of view.

^This

I have seen times where as long as they can get you in the door with at least some kind of degree, they don't even care. It is just a requirement that the position requires and if they can say it is related somehow, you are good. Two of our more senior systems guys here....one was going to back to school now since they wanted him to have a B.S and not just an Associates, and the other has a degree in Behavioral Science 
laugh.gif

My last job, our network architect (now works for Cisco) and has had his CCIE for like 7 years now, and has a degree in Criminal Justice, haha

Real world experience is definitely coveted over just certs and degree. The jobs and work are out here though, so don't get frustrated. It will work out in the end. 
Stuff like this is what really makes me question if a degree from a nationally ranked school is worth the 40K compared to a 15K masters from a regionally known school. I am struggling with my decision lol I decided not to take any classes this semester at Hopkins.

Last edited:
Nice. I need to look into the 2012 Server stuff myself. I have the MCITP for 2008 but....we know how the gov't goes....they not moving onto 2012 platforms until accreditations have expired or something, lol. 

The Solutions Architect thing will definitely be dope and definitely net you some good pay. I was doing it at my last job, and they just were treating it as that was what I was supposed to be doing....as a Sys Admin II :stoneface: :smh: .

Customer was literally telling me "we need a system to do XYZ". I would research that area, gather various vendors and their product, have meetings with them about their products and determine the one that would work for us and our environment. I was specing out the hardware to order if we needed any, and I was installing, configuring, testing, hardening, and deploying it for us. I would even tie it back into our CommVault backup solution (with NetApp back-end) to make sure it was being backed up properly. Needless to say.....I was promoted to a level 3 Admin at least by the end of it since the guy that was in that spot finally showed that he was an idiot and didn't know anything. :lol:

We were setting security policies for servers in our environment. He was still logging in to each individual server and setting them. I told him that he should be using GPOs for majority that and it was the whole purpose of them to set settings in one place and it takes effect on all servers in our domain. If you are the so-called 12-15 years experience guy, I shouldn't have to tell you this type of thing, lol. He ended up modifying the Domain Controller GPOs to only allow "Server Admins" to Access the Network and logon, and locked out everyone in our environment right in the middle of the day (government customers and all) :rofl: . He was always so obvious with it too. He would come from the data center or something and ask me "Can you still log on? Is everything still up?". My reply to him would be "what did you do?" and he would just say "Oh nothing. I was just making sure everything was still good." :lol:

Do you think I will have to take on a Sys Admin Role to get to Architect? It would be a backwards step for me somewhat to go form BA to Sys Admin then Sys Engineer then Architect. I have done research about BAs becoming SOlution/Business/Enterprise Architect but see a ton of mixed things, I saw a few cats on reddit say Sales or Solution Engineering (Pre Sales Engineer) roles are another way to get into it.

I see plenty of internships and jr positions in IT

Depends on city, your in CA so you see more jobs but it also means even more people are competing for them. And a JR job isn't something worth relocating for being that they dont pay much.

the CIO of the Americas where I work has a Marine Biology degree at my job but that means nothing. Leadership is all experience and at director level outside of CISO or CDO you need much less technical skills.

I was thinking of taking a sales performance role. Maybe a Technical Account Manager at MS. Made it to the second round for Aon for a consultant role for Workforce in their graduate program but got killed on their test before the final round. I sit on a lot of product demos and have interfaced with SEs from HP and random cyber security companies and their jobs don't seem that difficult.

Last edited:
Yea, internships and Jr lvl positions depend on your location. I'm in Pittsburgh, there are next to none here, I found one internship I'm going to apply to just for the sake of putting my name in there. They want cats still in UG so w/ me being 6 yrs removed from that, don't know how it'll go :lol:

Depends on city, your in CA so you see more jobs but it also means even more people are competing for them. And a JR job isn't something worth relocating for being that they dont pay much.
There should be adequate opportunities in most major cities. I live in San Diego and there's NOT a good IT job market here (relative to cities of similar size) yet I still see plenty of opportunities. It should be a lot easier in the Bay area, LA, Seattle, Chicago, Houston, Austin, etc. Better pay to CoL ratio too.

Last edited:

I see plenty of internships and jr positions in IT

Who said there weren't any? If someone did they really aren't looking that hard.

Edit: nvm I see.
Yea, internships and Jr lvl positions depend on your location. I'm in Pittsburgh, there are next to none here, I found one internship I'm going to apply to just for the sake of putting my name in there. They want cats still in UG so w/ me being 6 yrs removed from that, don't know how it'll go
laugh.gif
Yea it was me who said it and you guys are right it is of course based on location and what industry you are in. Of course I don't see them really anymore since I do DoD work primarily. When I was getting out of school of course I saw them more because I was looking for them 
laugh.gif

If it is feasible and makes sense for you, look for out of state internships. It looks good on your resume.

I think you can find internships and jr positions in any city that has big name companies.

VA , MD , DC all strive off of DoD and Govt Contractor work.

Last edited:
Crazy how you very rarely ever see internships or Jr level type of work in the IT field these days. Not sure where they are going to find everyone with at least a couple years of experience if nobody offering entry level type jobs anymore. 

So damn true man. I will never forget...my IT Director (so called IT guy from the late 80s-early 90s; pretty sure he was just a help desk tech or something) told me "I don't have to know what VMWare is or what the interface looks like. That is what I pay you to do."

View media item 1894496

In my head the IT Director for a company should definitely know what products he has and what they look like and at least can explain how they are supposed to work from high-level point of view.

I disagree here, I think he's somewhat correct. His priority is leading the team, but he should have some understanding of what the team does, just not as in depth as you want him to, otherwise he's not doing his job. He's management, not the technical lead. I find a lot of sysadmins jaded in that view (hell most technical folks) and it's completely illogical. That is until they get to sit in that chair for a few years and don't have the time or mental space to basically run your own organization and keep up with every new technical tidbit. Management is a different beast. A good manager knows how to delegate to the right people and understand he's no longer the technician.

Back
Top Bottom