Information Technology (IT)

3ff7dc7eb44273d7c002b1493d24de59

Great company to work for. I just got hired on as a full time employee after working a year as contractor for them here in Socal.

I'll be starting off as a Desktop Support Associate.

Benefits:
-Great pay compared to what other private companies pay in the health care industry. Kaiser is one of the biggest non-profit companies.
-My work region department is a part of a union so job security is there once I get past my 90 day probation period.
-17 paid vacation days off a year plus holidays, separate sick & personal time off.
-Annual yearly raise & bonuses.
-Excellent health, dental, and vision benefits. I literally pay zero co pays.
-Tuition reinbursemeint
-401k and pension plans.
-Gym membership reinbursement.

But yeah Kaiser is a huge company in places like Socal, Norcal, Washington, Colorado, Hawaii, and as far east in DC.

Nice to see my fellows from San Diego in the IT field from San Diego but live out in VA. Welcome to the IT field been in for close to 20 years. DAMN time flies.

Did you go straight for security or get network+ first?

I just ordered my first network+ studying book

Amazon product ASIN 0071848223
cant stay in help desk forever so I thought in 2018 i'd finally start getting my certs

Currently studying for this exam and planning to sit for in the next few weeks. Part of curriculum @ WGU then Sec+ and Project+ to wrap up the semester.

3ff7dc7eb44273d7c002b1493d24de59

Great company to work for. I just got hired on as a full time employee after working a year as contractor for them here in Socal.

I'll be starting off as a Desktop Support Associate.

Benefits:
-Great pay compared to what other private companies pay in the health care industry. Kaiser is one of the biggest non-profit companies.
-My work region department is a part of a union so job security is there once I get past my 90 day probation period.
-17 paid vacation days off a year plus holidays, separate sick & personal time off.
-Annual yearly raise & bonuses.
-Excellent health, dental, and vision benefits. I literally pay zero co pays.
-Tuition reinbursemeint
-401k and pension plans.
-Gym membership reinbursement.

But yeah Kaiser is a huge company in places like Socal, Norcal, Washington, Colorado, Hawaii, and as far east in DC.

Congrats on the position and much success!!

Man unless you got a Secret or TS, you ain't getting nothing out here in the DMV. They want Secret for low level jobs for which if you had a Secret clearance you wouldn't even consider. Game all messed up.

Man unless you got a Secret or TS, you ain't getting nothing out here in the DMV. They want Secret for low level jobs for which if you had a Secret clearance you wouldn't even consider. Game all messed up.

Kinda why i relocated to Dallas and the cost of Living.

I consider myself making a decent living while still living in the DMV with no clearance. I'll be getting my own place sometime this year and I'll let y'all know if I still feel this same way.

Man I'd kill to get in San Diego, assuming the C.O.L difference is made up for by pay i.e I need to be well into the 6 figures. I am waiting now for an offer letter for this new job up in the city though, shorter term contract but they compensate by paying nearly double what a job like that would pay. I been looking at apartments and everything, if it doesn't come through (he told me HR was going to call me, that part wasnt his job) I can stick where I am for a bit longer though

To the dude who asked though, first IT job just look on indeed.com and usajobs.com. First cert, you def need to start with Sec +

Out of curiosity, where should someone looking to get into IT start?

Any entry-level IT job you can get your hands on. Preferably T1 Desktop or NOC support.

It's more about building that trust in your base level of knowledge than it is about titles at that level.

Starting that new job in 2 weeks. Cant wait. This is my first time leaving to a different company. What kind if transition am i looking at? Knowledge transfer? Etc....

I don't get why damn near all the Government contracting companies are in VA (and Huntsville, AL is the other hub) when they can pay their employees 1/2 in Dallas and still provide them a better quality of life not to mention TX leans incredibly right and pro-business in terms of how it operates. And no state income tax

Because of location. All of the government agencies headquarters are in the DMV area and the work can't be done elsewhere.

Haven't logged into NT in forever hope everyone is prospering. April will mark 1yr of being an overseas contractor, time flies.

Man I'd kill to get in San Diego, assuming the C.O.L difference is made up for by pay i.e I need to be well into the 6 figures. I am waiting now for an offer letter for this new job up in the city though, shorter term contract but they compensate by paying nearly double what a job like that would pay. I been looking at apartments and everything, if it doesn't come through (he told me HR was going to call me, that part wasnt his job) I can stick where I am for a bit longer though

To the dude who asked though, first IT job just look on indeed.com and usajobs.com. First cert, you def need to start with Sec +

Honestly the only place that comes close to matching salary & cost of living is Norcal (SF, San Jose, silicon valley, San Mateo). But even then even if your are working for Google, Facebook, Uber etc. Dudes are literally making six figures and still having to commute 1+ hour to work or working a second part time job like Uber on the side or their significant other has a dope paying job also like a nurse or something IT or health care industry related.

That's why the housing/rental prices are so bad out there.

Working and getting a nice job like that in LA, Socal or OC. Yeah get used to spending more than half your day in traffic and planning out your weekend activities just to get around to do stuff or visit friends and family.

Anybody know of any job openings in the Maryland area, my current role is just not cutting it for me. Thinking about heading out DC to work as well

Anyone in a cloud computing role like MS Azure or AWS? Looking to get into that field just curious how y'all got the position and how you prepped for the role.

I don't get why damn near all the Government contracting companies are in VA (and Huntsville, AL is the other hub) when they can pay their employees 1/2 in Dallas and still provide them a better quality of life not to mention TX leans incredibly right and pro-business in terms of how it operates. And no state income tax
Short answer DC government isn't in Dallas, if you have a meeting in DC you just drive over from VA. I work in downtown Alexandria but wish the job market was better in Dallas. If they could pay what I am making in Dallas then I would consider it, good salary and overtime if I want to.
Anyone in a cloud computing role like MS Azure or AWS? Looking to get into that field just curious how y'all got the position and how you prepped for the role.
You basically have to luck into the position, they don't hire unless you have the experience. However something like that you only get the experience on the job, I don't know of anyone setting up an AWS environment in there home lab.

Honestly the only place that comes close to matching salary & cost of living is Norcal (SF, San Jose, silicon valley, San Mateo). But even then even if your are working for Google, Facebook, Uber etc. Dudes are literally making six figures and still having to commute 1+ hour to work or working a second part time job like Uber on the side or their significant other has a dope paying job also like a nurse or something IT or health care industry related.

That's why the housing/rental prices are so bad out there.

Working and getting a nice job like that in LA, Socal or OC. Yeah get used to spending more than half your day in traffic and planning out your weekend activities just to get around to do stuff or visit friends and family.
Yea I mean on 60ish in Oklahoma you live in a brand new 1600 sq ft house. I'm moving to OKC which is "big city" to me, doing the luxury all inclusive middle of downtown or close apartments thing and for a 2 bed 2 bath with hardwood or concrete floors and not NH square footage looking at just under $900. Still under 3 hrs to Dallas if OKC isn't big enough for you, but it's growing fast. Even got a Texas De Brazil in the mall now

I like the idea of a bigger city sometimes but like you said, if it's 2hrs in traffic each way to and from work, that's 20hrs in a work week just sitting in traffic/driving. To me, that's not quality of life regardless of where it is. I live 12 miles from work and if it takes me more than 20 minutes to get there I'm upset, means there was some sort of wreck or obstruction or lane/gate shutdowns
Anybody know of any job openings in the Maryland area, my current role is just not cutting it for me. Thinking about heading out DC to work as well
dude like all of them lol. Put your resume on Indeed. Ziprecruiter has been pretty good for me too matching me to opportunities.

dude like all of them lol. Put your resume on Indeed. Ziprecruiter has been pretty good for me too matching me to opportunities.
Guess I should of been more specific, I was asking if anybody had any personal recommendations or heard about opportunities that may get overlooked on common sites like monster. I'm on zip recruiter religiously but haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm just tired consulting firms and their ****ty *** contracts, you either get a crap job or they get you one opportunity and give up on you. I actually enjoy my current role but, I'm underpaid and the location is horrible, I can do one but not both.

Back
Top Bottom