Information Technology (IT)

How it the job market for you guys?

I'm currently searching for a help desk / desktop support position and they require mad experience. So far, I'm not having any luck at all
If you think you can do it just apply, some it support shops tend to overvalue themselves, it ain't rocket surgery.

If you think you can do it just apply, some it support shops tend to overvalue themselves, it ain't rocket surgery.
Yeah I just read something to the likes of what you said. I know having the A+ is helpful for a help desk job, but I thought I would get some action going by now

Luckily, I'm taking that test next week or so.

bruh there are so many open positions for desktop support, if u want i can help you out with ur resume u might have to cap a bit in regards to experience. if you are computer savvy u can get away with it if its level 1 support.

have u contacted any recruiter?

bruh there are so many open positions for desktop support, if u want i can help you out with ur resume u might have to cap a bit in regards to experience. if you are computer savvy u can get away with it if its level 1 support.

have u contacted any recruiter?
I'm going to start calling in a week or so.

I'm trying to do my best to get the info I need to start in cloud security

I see A+ as the recommended cert to get to start things off. There are classes in the city I can take, but want to make sure I'm not wasting my time or money but will pay for gaining the necessary knowledge.

Any recommendations on what I should do to start?

Just started my first IT internship a few weeks ago. Its a desktop support position at a place that does government work. Changing industries after 10 years. Its a grind but I'm learning a lot.

If you could, describe your duties. I'm looking into desktop support as well

If you could, describe your duties. I'm looking into desktop support as well

So far it’s been imagining computers, remote support, installing applications, installing hardware around the building, inventorying equipment, and troubleshooting applications when I can. But again, it’s only been 2 weeks so I’m sure I’ll learn to do more.

So far it’s been imagining computers, remote support, installing applications, installing hardware around the building, inventorying equipment, and troubleshooting applications when I can. But again, it’s only been 2 weeks so I’m sure I’ll learn to do more.
Are you constantly busy?

Yeah I just read something to the likes of what you said. I know having the A+ is helpful for a help desk job, but I thought I would get some action going by now

Luckily, I'm taking that test next week or so.

HR writes those postings and even at FAANGs they just throw everything they possibly can in those qualifications.

Apply anyways, they're not really looking for all that

HR writes those postings and even at FAANGs they just throw everything they possibly can in those qualifications.

Apply anyways, they're not really looking for all that
Yeah I was just coming to this realization because the supposed qualifications are borderline ridiculous for a level 1 help desk gig.

At the moment, I'm just gonna study for my A+ and take the test next week. Mike Meyers book was a great reference but some of the practice tests got me feeling like I'm not ready. I've been doing good meon Professor Messers quizzes tho

I see A+ as the recommended cert to get to start things off. There are classes in the city I can take, but want to make sure I'm not wasting my time or money but will pay for gaining the necessary knowledge.

Any recommendations on what I should do to start?

Don't bother with the A+ at all if that's your intended destination.

I try to give this advice whenever I can, school allows you to skip the entry level climb from desktop support to specialization completely.

Whatever CC or Uni you attend leverage the IT department in looking for internships. I've never heard of a school that doesn't have a Career Center/Department so I would be a regular in there as well.

Network Support Technician anywhere or a Data Center if possible would give you a good jump off point. Hell, if you can find any Info Sec internships you'd already have an in with whomever hired you.

But just to drive my point home, if you're going to school, skip the A+ Desktop Support grind. You do not need to do it, but you do need to be looking for any and every IT internship in your area and even outside of your area if they cover housing or pay enough to cover a short-term corporate apartment.

Yeah I was just coming to this realization because the supposed qualifications are borderline ridiculous for a level 1 help desk gig.

At the moment, I'm just gonna study for my A+ and take the test next week. Mike Meyers book was a great reference but some of the practice tests got me feeling like I'm not ready. I've been doing good meon Professor Messers quizzes tho

I have no certs but worked with plenty of people CompTIA certified. Apparently just having experience with a CompTIA exam in and of itself is a significant advantage.

Good luck next week man, you got this.

Just started my first IT internship a few weeks ago. Its a desktop support position at a place that does government work. Changing industries after 10 years. Its a grind but I'm learning a lot.
I’m a supervisor for desktop support to a team of 10. To say it’s a grind is an understatement when you’re trying to get all these damn windows feature updates to like 4000 end points.

Back
Top Bottom