Information Technology (IT)

New environment I work in uses Windows & Macs. I’ve never used a Mac much. I’m surprised at how
They just work. Don’t come across many problems with them at all.
Try implementing them in a predominantly windows environment. Then you'll run into a few head scratching items.

Reactions: 17
Try implementing them in a predominantly windows environment. Then you'll run into a few head scratching items.
It is predominantly Windows here. I’d say about 80% Windows / 20% Macs.

Idk if it’s because I never used one much but I still prefer a Windows pc.

They must not be overly managed. Once you start going down that Jamf rabbit hole, security software, microsoft apps etc. it gets dicey.
Jamf is used for the apple products here.

I can’t say if we overly manage compared to other company’s but you need access for everything here. Gotta submit a request even if you wanna download something small like Adobe Reader

They must not be overly managed. Once you start going down that Jamf rabbit hole, security software, microsoft apps etc. it gets dicey.
Yeah for certain.

It is predominantly Windows here. I’d say about 80% Windows / 20% Macs.

Idk if it’s because I never used one much but I still prefer a Windows pc.
Gotchu. My experience with it is it was a pain in the *** during the initial implementation. Outside of a few hiccups in the beginning, never heard back from the user.

I love how Mac users are much more self sufficient as opposed to windows where you need to hold their hands on the most basic of things “is chrome on here?” 🙄

As part of a consultancy training course at work, the in-house instructor just used a copy of our actual client database and just rearranged some names. Dude said 'no GDPR worries, I changed some stuff around', but you could make out quite a bit of the clients and their contract details :lol:

There was also a course for the whole office this week on accessibility for blind/deaf people, with a fully blind instructor giving a 4 hour presentation, demonstrations and a thorough examination of the blind/deaf accessibility of our web service. Honestly very eye-opening, and it turns out our website isn't all that blind-friendly.
Those speech reading tools are wild, the instructor was using one at around 400% speed. It went so fast that none of us in the office were able to make out a single word but the guy was just flawlessly interpreting it.

Really enjoying the new job and colleagues but tbh I'm struggling with being thrusted straight into a leading test engineer role, given that I'm struggling adapting to c#.
We also had our first ever scrum retrospective this week, which will now be a permanent feature. We had a whiteboard with categories for what went good, what went bad, ideas, and lastly actions. Everyone then wrote their thoughts on post-it notes and placed them on the board.

Apparently everyone's quite pleased, I had my own category and 5 notes showing appreciation for (in their words) my dedication, genuine interest in all of my colleagues' different functions, work mentality, humor, eagerness to learn
The one about dedication was from my boss so that was good to hear from him. However on the "what went bad" category on the whiteboard, there was also a post-it with my name on it. The note said "the start of (my name)'s employment", which took the whole office by surprise when we got to that note.
The boss said it was also him that wrote it, but then quickly added that "what I meant was that it was just too bad that you got sick so early and missed some additional days due to your seizures. Don't take it as bad, it's not something you can help, it's just that it would've been nice having you here every day.

Not sure what to think of that note from the boss tbh. Others in the office also privately expressed it was weird, somewhat insulting and there was some objection to it from colleagues during the restrospective as well. I think the boss probably meant well but since my chronic disease and undiagnosed seizures are out of my control, I feel like it was kinda inappropriate to put that note on that board.

Last edited:
Amazes me how long people go without turning off or restarting their pc. Came across a user who’s laptop hasn’t been restarted in 576 hours. That’s 24 days.

why is my old co worker from my previous job randomly texting me memes and youtube videos.....

I left right before they lost the contract for the feds so im starting to assume hes hoping I can get him a new job...

Last edited:
why is my old co worker from my previous job randomly texting me memes and youtube videos.....

I left as soon right before they lost the contract for the feds so im starting to assume hes hoping I can get him a new job...
Did you update your linkedin showing that you got the new job Cisco? If so, mans trying to become your best friend overnight.

Anybody up here used the blind app before? If money is what you’re after, I suggest you break into the aws, Microsofts, googles of the world.

Anybody up here used the blind app before? If money is what you’re after, I suggest you break into the aws, Microsofts, googles of the world.
I read about it on another forum and they said it was worth downloading as well. I’m gonna check it out.

About a month into the job. Got the hang of how things run here and how the infrastructure works

lm getting burnt out already lol . However, the manager approached me saying they wanna bring me in full time and want me to transition from the service desk to the account administration team. I hope it pans out because I’m good on help desk at this point.

Any recs for a solid study guide for Security+?

Been an infrastructure PM for a while and I now need something a bit more heads down. Hoping for less governance and reporting up in my day-to-day. I'm looking into Network and possibly cloud down the line.

bruh my work macbook said to update to monterey or something and i clicked okay it reinstalled the whole os and erased all my data :lol:
alotta capping on there :lol:

and alotta racists

kinda like NT :lol:

bruh my work macbook said to update to monterey or something and i clicked okay it reinstalled the whole os and erased all my data :lol:

alotta capping on there :lol:

and alotta racists

kinda like NT :lol:

Yea a lotta cappin lol. I often have to cross those YOE and TCs with levels.fyi 😂

bruh i cap and troll on there too, posted in a thread that i made 500k after 2 years of experience :lol:

lotta yt/azn folks who mad that tech companies are hiring colored people talkin bout the quality of employees is going down

Back
Top Bottom