Interesting Article about Shaq's Disdain for Dwight Howard

[h1]As Howard grows in stature, Shaq shrinks[/h1]By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
LOS ANGELES - The greatness of Shaquille O'Neal(notes) demands that his name, his legacy, never drifts far from an NBA Finals. Even when he's long out of the league, that'll still be true. For the immortals, the lifetime benefits include the exhaustive examination of the next generation's stars to your standards.

How does Tom Brady measure to Joe Montana?

Kobe Bryant(notes) to Michael Jordan?

And, yes, Dwight Howard(notes) to Shaq.

Mostly, here's how a burgeoning talent is born: A gifted young star emulates his idol and eventually becomes his peer.

So, why does Shaq get such glee out of belittling and ridiculing those centers who came before and after him?

"Sometimes I wonder about his maturity," Kareem Abdul-Jabbar told Yahoo! Sports on Friday. "He doesn't need to do that. He's achieved so much.

"I don't know why he stoops to that."

Abdul-Jabbar doesn't need Shaq's approval, but Howard is 23 years old and Shaq owes it to the league, to common decency, to be civil with this kid. His treatment of Howard has been kind of sad, especially considering that Howard grew up wanting to be him.

Howard marveled at Shaq's strength and roared at his comedy and tried to emulate him in every way. They were drafted into the NBA as the No. 1 overall pick to the Orlando Magic, and turned losers into NBA finalists. Howard always seemed to crave Shaq's counsel, his respect, but Howard has long been the target of humiliating insults.

In the past year alone, Shaq called Howard an "imposter" and insisted that, "Everything he's done, I've invented," and on and on. On opening night of the NBA Finals, Shaq posted a goofy photo on Twitter of what a Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy child would look like. After five years of this, Howard still doesn't get the reason that Shaq revels in ripping him.

"I can't tell you why he's said a lot of discouraging things," Howard said Friday at the Staples Center. "I wish he wouldn't say it because he's one of the few guys that we all look up to."

For most, O'Neal's motives are transparent. Somehow, Shaq thinks it diminishes his own legacy if Howard achieves something significant sooner than he did.

"That's why Shaq wants [Howard] to get swept in the Finals," a league source close with Howard and O'Neal said Friday. "He doesn't want Dwight to win a game because he didn't win a game in the Finals when he got there at a young age with Orlando."

It's funny, but Jordan never takes offense that Bryant and LeBron James(notes) and Dwyane Wade(notes) emulate him. To Michael, it was an honor. He embraces it. He always believed that was his responsibility to pass wisdom and encouragement to the next generation's icons. Julius Erving did it for him. And Michael does it for them.

Nevertheless, Shaq has mostly been about, well, Shaq. Now, at 37 years old, Shaq still has a chance to get back to a contender, to get back into the championship chase. He was surprisingly spry for the Phoenix Suns this season, and with his expiring contract of $20 million next season, he will be an intriguing possibility on the summer trade market. Many league executives believe that Cleveland will revisit its trade deadline discussions with Phoenix, and consider making a deal for Shaq this summer. Cavs general manger Danny Ferry knows his team needs a bigger, stronger force to guard Howard, especially in the final season before LeBron James' free agency in 2010.

Where does Shaq want to go? Multiple league sources, including with the Lakers, believe Shaq wants a return engagement with the Lakers. They think that's why he has spent this season trying to repair the damage done to his relationship with Bryant. He tried to buddy up on All-Star weekend when they were co-MVPs, but give Bryant credit: He refused to engage with Shaq on a revisionist make-believe about how it was never so toxic between them.

There's little chance the Lakers would make a move for Shaq, and no chance Bryant would ever accept a return to that hell. Shaq's rap last year about Kobe ended any chance at reconciliation. Bryant is three games away from winning his first title without Shaq, and all he'll want to do next season is win another - without him.

Lost in that the rap, was the line, "That's like Kareem saying to himself that he's better than me." Well, remember this: Abdul-Jabbar averaged 22 points and eight rebounds on a Laker championship team when he was 37 years old. When I asked him how that lyric made him feel, Abdul-Jabbar said, "The gratuitous insult? I considered the source and I slept very well that night."

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar doesn't need Shaq's approval, nor his validation. Yet, all Dwight Howard ever wanted was to be the next Shaquille O'Neal, and when did that become a crime for a young basketball player? Michael Jordan had always been secure enough in his legacy, his greatness, to embrace Kobe and LeBron.

So, yes, you have to wonder: Will Shaq ever be?

I didn't know Shaq took shot at Kareem. I like Shaq but he likes to keep people down in order for him to be on top.

Shaq aint going back to no damn lakers
roll.gif

I'm sad to hear that Shaq has become what he is.

He was my favorite during the dynasty, and I was upset to see him go at the behest of Kobe.

But now we see where the hands on the clock have come to: Shaq needs to understand his place in the NBA. No longer a spry, franchise player, but a wizened vet,someone who should be releasing his grip slowly but willfully.

He's always used comedy to hide behind his insecurities... I don't understand this beef with Howard though
smh.gif

Originally Posted by presequel

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

I'm sad to hear that Shaq has become what he is.
No, thats where people are wrong. He's ALWAYS been like this.

Seriously...Hated Kareem, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning(until he played with him
eyes.gif
), Nash(ditto for Mourning) etc

Like I definitely love Shaq for all that he's done for the league and the Lakers, but the guy's been the same from day one...it was just always excusedbecause "that's just how Shaq is"

Act is tired

Shaq is only human and @%% talking something we all do. We all talk @%% about other people because sometimes they are better than us or they do something thatsome of us are not capable of.

Like some of us, we always want to be on top or the best at this and that. But its human nature to talk and since shaq is a superstar he's magnified. Nohate from me bcuz dude is only human.

if i were to say "shaq is so immature or dude is insecure" id be a hypocrite because we all act like shaq in our own ways.

It's like some sort of ritual for NBA centers. Wilt Chamberlain was salty when Kareem Abdul Jabbar started dominating the league, which is similar to theDwight-Shaq situation.

Don't wanna deviate from the subject, but you really think MJ is going to truly embrace Kobe or James if or when they pass him? I don't think so.Publicly maybe.

Dude always wanna be the center of attention, he just can't get on with the fact that he's at the dawn of his career.

Originally Posted by Worlds Enemy

Don't wanna deviate from the subject, but you really think MJ is going to truly embrace Kobe or James if or when they pass him? I don't think so. Publicly maybe.
I think MJ will... Why not?
tired.gif

Great p.o.v iceNcream, that reply was spot on.

MJ doesn't have to worry about Kobe surpassing him because that will never happen. After last years finals Kobe should never be mentioned in the samesentence. Kobe stans & ESPN would love to believe otherwise though. It's still early for Lebron, but who knows.

Hopefully Shaq goes to a team other than the Lakers and wins another title and also grows up in the process and embraces Howard.

Didn't Shaq have this same problem with David Robinson? If anything, its like bigman hazing as someone mentioned above.

Shaq jus mad imo no contender wants him, don't get me wrong im sure he would be a great asset, for when he does play, but he doesn't play every game ndhe causes distractions as well...its sad to see this happening, Dwight just needs to continue what he is doing and don't worry about the critics

Originally Posted by iceNcream

Shaq is only human and @%% talking something we all do. We all talk @%% about other people because sometimes they are better than us or they do something that some of us are not capable of.

Like some of us, we always want to be on top or the best at this and that. But its human nature to talk and since shaq is a superstar he's magnified. No hate from me bcuz dude is only human.

if i were to say "shaq is so immature or dude is insecure" id be a hypocrite because we all act like shaq in our own ways.
Nah dude, speak for yourself. Not everyone goes out of their way to belittle others who might be surpassing them or already ahead of them. Thatkind of behavior is "human nature?" I don't buy that at all.

That kind of insecurity/immaturity is overzealous and pathetic. That's jealous female-like behavior. Real catty BS type stuff.

Saying we all act that way is simply an attempt to level the playing field and give a pass to the kind of person who, like Shaquille O'neal, has garnered areputation for himself as someone who talks out of his +#*. "We" don't all act that way.

But it's ok. After all, it's Shaq. He's a funny guy. He's won championships. It's "cute" when he does it.

Shaq has probably went through his entire life being the biggest and strongest dude in any room that he stepped in. Natrually when he looks over his shoulderand sees Dwight Howard, he feels like that old lion.

Dear God,

You havent answered many of my sporting prayers in the last decade, but I'm asking this with all my heart and soul. Please o sweet merciful Jesus, bringthe diesel to cleveland. I would take that over a Cowboys playoff birth.

Thank You,

Marley

^^^ word... u my friend could'nt have put it any better... he's a jealous dude man that's it. Dwight is everything he was 15 years ago.. He'snot ready to be real with himself and realize his time has passed and its time to move on to the final years of his nba career. He should be more focused onplayin with a contender to get another ring.

Back
Top Bottom