Interview Next Friday: Financial Analyst Position with IP....need tips?.....Interview Went Well!

Well I've been in General a few times talking about graduating and working in the finance field. I'm 22 with a degree in Business Admin with a minor in Finance. I plan on pursuing my MBA degree in Fall 2012 and was doing a lot of job searching prior to graduation. I've been actually looking at a few company and may have a few jobs lined up including the one I'm posting about.

The financial analyst position is with International Paper and this is my first "big" interview with a big company. The lady called me today after I got home and gave me all the info. I know the basics for interviews (attire, speech, eye contact, common questions or any basic interview etiquette) and do very well on them for the most part.....but, I'm trying to prepare myself for the technical questions. I'm not sure what to expect outside of the basic interview questions. The lady that called me did say that there will be 2-3 managers in the room interviewing me at once. I've dealt with that situation before and did pretty good, but I never was asked any technical questions.

For anyone who has either worked in the finance field or been in a similar situation getting a job within their field out of college, what kind of technical questions should I expect? I'm anxious and nervous about the opportunity because this could definitely lead to bigger and better things within the company.

Well I've been in General a few times talking about graduating and working in the finance field. I'm 22 with a degree in Business Admin with a minor in Finance. I plan on pursuing my MBA degree in Fall 2012 and was doing a lot of job searching prior to graduation. I've been actually looking at a few company and may have a few jobs lined up including the one I'm posting about.

The financial analyst position is with International Paper and this is my first "big" interview with a big company. The lady called me today after I got home and gave me all the info. I know the basics for interviews (attire, speech, eye contact, common questions or any basic interview etiquette) and do very well on them for the most part.....but, I'm trying to prepare myself for the technical questions. I'm not sure what to expect outside of the basic interview questions. The lady that called me did say that there will be 2-3 managers in the room interviewing me at once. I've dealt with that situation before and did pretty good, but I never was asked any technical questions.

For anyone who has either worked in the finance field or been in a similar situation getting a job within their field out of college, what kind of technical questions should I expect? I'm anxious and nervous about the opportunity because this could definitely lead to bigger and better things within the company.

Finance major here and i want to know as well
nerd.gif

Good luck man, let us know how it went I too hope to get into the field in about 4 years 
nerd.gif

Good luck man, let us know how it went I too hope to get into the field in about 4 years 
nerd.gif

I'm not in finance, but two tips that may help.

1) Have questions for them. Interviewers are always impressed when you ask a few questions about the job/company because it shows that you have done your research prior to coming in.
2) Since you're just out of college, if you have a project from school that you feel shows your work well, it would be good to bring that with you. It is much better to actually show the interviewers what you can do rather than just talking about it.

Good luck.

I'm not in finance, but two tips that may help.

1) Have questions for them. Interviewers are always impressed when you ask a few questions about the job/company because it shows that you have done your research prior to coming in.
2) Since you're just out of college, if you have a project from school that you feel shows your work well, it would be good to bring that with you. It is much better to actually show the interviewers what you can do rather than just talking about it.

Good luck.

Can't help you but good look bro, I hope to be in your position this time next year.

Can't help you but good look bro, I hope to be in your position this time next year.

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

lol yea dont ask nt
I know it's the cool thing to do to act like NT is entirely a bunch of immature children but there's actually a hand full of people in the field that regularly post tips and advice. 

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

lol yea dont ask nt
I know it's the cool thing to do to act like NT is entirely a bunch of immature children but there's actually a hand full of people in the field that regularly post tips and advice. 

i have never been in a situation so this all theoretical (sp?)
like dude said have questions ready. but if said questions are answered along the way, and this is where you could shine, be able to go in depth or have new questions. your questions will show your ability to pay attention. they arent interviewing the degree and resume they are are interviewing (insert your govt name here). 
research the company. be like "oh yeah the tiskobob divison is innovative. i like the new fabricduster machine technology." (
laugh.gif
 you get the point).....research their internationl division. also research who they sell to, buy from to. sales figure, know their sales projections for 2011/2012, down to sale quotas for branch managers. their recycling programs. job creation figures.  just anything that sticks out. 

also spend a day brainstorming ways to make them money. basically create a marketing campaign. throw a way(s) doesnt matter. this could activate the left side of the brain during the meeting. 

write it out in bullet ,something you can glance at  during meeting.

not to panic you just some ideas. 

i have never been in a situation so this all theoretical (sp?)
like dude said have questions ready. but if said questions are answered along the way, and this is where you could shine, be able to go in depth or have new questions. your questions will show your ability to pay attention. they arent interviewing the degree and resume they are are interviewing (insert your govt name here). 
research the company. be like "oh yeah the tiskobob divison is innovative. i like the new fabricduster machine technology." (
laugh.gif
 you get the point).....research their internationl division. also research who they sell to, buy from to. sales figure, know their sales projections for 2011/2012, down to sale quotas for branch managers. their recycling programs. job creation figures.  just anything that sticks out. 

also spend a day brainstorming ways to make them money. basically create a marketing campaign. throw a way(s) doesnt matter. this could activate the left side of the brain during the meeting. 

write it out in bullet ,something you can glance at  during meeting.

not to panic you just some ideas. 

Don't know much about that company, but be prepared to have a general knowledge financial statements, and what it says about a company. (Neg Operating Income , Pos Net Income) etc etc.
Also,

Common questions/topics:

What are some ways to value a company? 

DCF

CAPM

WACC

Beta

Know about LEVERAGE

Driving factors for M&A

Goldman.

Back
Top Bottom