IS BROOKLYN DYING?

Originally Posted by throwback1718

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

dont think this will happen to The South Bronx
grin.gif

laugh.gif
it isnt? I could swear I heard on NY1 that they tryna call it "SoBro" as a play off of "SoHo"?
Matter fact. Eff that... NY1 DID say that
laugh.gif

LOL 

I live on Prospect ain't #@$% over here that remind me of SOHO
laugh.gif

See with white flight it was racist whites not wanting to live next door to blacks because they didn't like them and wanted to be as far away from a negro as possible .With this white hipster invasion it's the exploitation of the poor blacks and Latinos in communities that have been crippled by various epidemics,from drugs police corruption, violence.Police and City gov understand and know that these minority communities arent capable of putting up much resistance economically help reinforce and support this by finding ways to back up these invaders.

Ever notice how they brag about how they are fixing and helping a community in interviews and in videos yet never show them interacting with the true residents,the people who love there for real and know the area and it's history.Sure you may see a black guy or black girl with them but are they from the area and are the aware of the devastation taking place.More than likely no they are here to profit off these hipsters and their association brings them esteem for being different In contrast to "those " negroes who are the residents .Some may say they are here for pursuing an art career,music career yet they don't live in an area full of artist ,musicians ,they lurk the corners of neighborhoods where they know they can exploit the bare resources in their favor.They live their because they know they can get away with activities that would not be permitted or taboo in the white areas like squatting in apartments,drinking all day ,loitering ,smoking in public places .

This privelege that allows them to hold block parties in the worst neighborhoods and have cops on speed dial and ready to assist them while a party down the street for Tyrone would not get the same type of treatment.

Look at Brooklyn in the 70's. Gentrification has been a part of Brooklyn (Vietnam) as long as you can remember.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

gentrification is wack to cats because it was da people who lived there before turned da corner of da neighborhood ON THEIR OWN before da vultures decided to come in and take advantage.
And they really did a bang-up job taking care of such neighborhoods.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by ninjahood

gentrification is wack to cats because it was da people who lived there before turned da corner of da neighborhood ON THEIR OWN before da vultures decided to come in and take advantage.
And they really did a bang-up job taking care of such neighborhoods.

When all the jobs leave,banks won't let you take loans,schools lose all their funding,homes get split up.What do you expect to happen son

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by richiecotite

Originally Posted by finnns2003

As someone born in D.C., what has happened here is a good thing. Same thing in NY.

Sorry Charlies.
You say you were born, not raised in D.C., so I'm assuming you've lived the majority of your live elsewhere. Please correct me if i'm wrong. 
I'm not against whats happening in D.C., and it's not a bad thing, it's not a good thing, it just is what it is. The thing most people feel is that with others moving in, and long time resident's moving out, part of the city's culture (which attracts most people) is disappearing. Look at Columbia Heights and that @!!+%## monstrosity (Target, Marshalls)  they threw up. Once upon a time Columbia Heights was a relatively quiet neighborhood, now it's turning into Gallery Place. 
Correct, I've lived in NE D.C., MD, VA at different points. Still, always been in the DMV. I think the concept is the same everywhere, urban areas are becoming more modern, less affordable, and more futuristic/advanced. Small businesses are doing very well in these new 'gentrified' cities, but yeah big businesses like Target and Walmart are popping up everywhere. You'd think the D.C. metro would improve but it's still as #$%@Q#@ as ever.
indifferent.gif

And dudes got like 3-4 roommates just so they can live downtown is not the business either. Imagine picking up a chick and you like yea I got a spot downtown..........with three other guys
laugh.gif
. You gotta be making bank with studios starting at $1700 plus utilities and you still gotta live on top of that. Like I said earlier, it's not a problem until "they" can't afford it anymore. Woodbridge, VA is gonna be one big @!$ hood in a few years.
laugh.gif
My boy is like this. Owns a $500k condo but needs roommates to stay in there. Coming back to haunt him as one suddenly moved out.

I wouldn't worry about people not being able to afford it, it's clear this is here to stay.

Yeah this is going on in Philly too. charging 500k for green rowhomes that were selling for maybe 100k like 5/10 yrs ago. I don't mind too much but do wish people would take better care of their neighborhoods and this wouldn't be so easy. I've definitely through my grandparents/mom saw the cycle yall talked about. My grandparents got their house 2 blocks from where the Phillies played back in the 50's and it was a 90% white area and by the time I was growing up area was 99.8% black. The neighborhood went down too from super nice to ran down but it wasn't only cause of blacks moving but people inheriting their parents/grandparents homes not caring so the one by one houses starting looking bad. It's a shame looking at a picture of what this neighborhood used to look like to now.

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

See with white flight it was racist whites not wanting to live next door to blacks because they didn't like them and wanted to be as far away from a negro as possible .With this white hipster invasion it's the exploitation of the poor blacks and Latinos in communities that have been crippled by various epidemics,from drugs police corruption, violence.Police and City gov understand and know that these minority communities arent capable of putting up much resistance economically help reinforce and support this by finding ways to back up these invaders.

Ever notice how they brag about how they are fixing and helping a community in interviews and in videos yet never show them interacting with the true residents,the people who love there for real and know the area and it's history.Sure you may see a black guy or black girl with them but are they from the area and are the aware of the devastation taking place.More than likely no they are here to profit off these hipsters and their association brings them esteem for being different In contrast to "those " negroes who are the residents .Some may say they are here for pursuing an art career,music career yet they don't live in an area full of artist ,musicians ,they lurk the corners of neighborhoods where they know they can exploit the bare resources in their favor.They live their because they know they can get away with activities that would not be permitted or taboo in the white areas like squatting in apartments,drinking all day ,loitering ,smoking in public places .

This privelege that allows them to hold block parties in the worst neighborhoods and have cops on speed dial and ready to assist them while a party down the street for Tyrone would not get the same type of treatment.
You're giving "hipsters" way too much credit. I doubt any "hipster" is moving into Brooklyn with the mindset of exploiting minorities. Again, from an outsiders perspective. Brooklyn makes sense because it's less expensive than Manhattan and it's close enough. All this talk about exploiting groups is ridiculous. If anything, it's simple economics. Supply and demand. If the demand, which is going to be there and not going away anytime soon, is high and the supply, this being housing in safe neighborhoods close to the city, is short... prices are going to go up. I hardly think it's fair to lay the blame on "white hipsters." The only way prices wouldn't go up is if demand was low. What would you have then? None of these people moving here creating jobs and industries and pumping tax dollars into New York? It's pure fantasy.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Where are they "allowed" to live then? We complain about white flight, complain about gentrification, and complain about de facto segregation.
Who complaining about white flight though?

At the end of the day the Jews and West Indian folk run Brooklyn

Actual question for Brooklyn/NY Nters... Where are the former tenants from these neighborhoods going?  Somewhere else in the city?  Another state?

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

Originally Posted by throwback1718

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

dont think this will happen to The South Bronx
grin.gif

laugh.gif
it isnt? I could swear I heard on NY1 that they tryna call it "SoBro" as a play off of "SoHo"?
Matter fact. Eff that... NY1 DID say that
laugh.gif

LOL 

I live on Prospect ain't #@$% over here that remind me of SOHO
laugh.gif

i grew up in the Bronx and God do i wish the type of development Brooklyn has undergone in the past decade would happen in my old neighborhood as well, why are people complaining?....these so called hipsters brought in more security, which led to better businesses, better neighborhoods, properties have gone up in value due to all this, i dont see how those that were there before all this are not benefiting at all from whats happend,  the Bronx needs to take notes, I hate it that my mothers building was tore down and rebuilt, turned into a Coop and handed rom city management to the tenants and due to its location, the value of the apartments isnt going anywhere, people can actually purchase a 3 BR coop in her building for 30k 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
 brand new!...and even at that no one wants to move to a neighborhood ran by little thugs no older than 18 and a bunch of cracked down houses, the Bronx is sad at this point.....besides throgs neck and riverdale there is absolutely nothing great in that borough....they're trying with the immediate sorrounding area of Yankee stadium, but i dont see that going far.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by Bandit Country

Ninjahood, I can assure you the polack knuckleheads are not leaving Greenpoint anytime soon, hipster or no hipster.
How about you watch your mouth with the derogatory language about my neighborhood and my culture.
Polack is a derogatory term? News to me. *Adds to list*

Yes it's derogatory.  It's used in the states as a term to demean Polish people which I don't appreciate at all.  I know there's maybe only like 2 other posting members that are on this board that are Polish but just like other posters of other ethnicity don't appreciate this sort of derogatory terminology about them, I don't either. 

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

Actual question for Brooklyn/NY Nters... Where are the former tenants from these neighborhoods going?  Somewhere else in the city?  Another state?

A lot are being pushed out of the city completely.  I remember visiting my friend that was going to Holy Cross College in Worcester Massachusetts and he said that he met a lot of former New Yorkers there that were forced to move out.  Some are moving more into the cheaper parts of Queens like Ridgewood and Glendale.  I mean my mom owns the house which is why we love the changes here.  But if we didn't we'd be forced to look for cheaper housing as well.

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

To the south. These articles focus mostly on blacks, but hispanics are migrating too.

People from NY have always looked at the south as a place they would like to move to, it's been that way for decades.... but the amount of families leaving the north and moving down south have increased like crazy over the past few years.

http://www.nytimes.com/20...h.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

http://www.nytimes.com/20...outh.html?pagewanted=all

laugh.gif
The Bronx residents was fighting "Fresh Direct" from being built in the borough. Now if it were a cell phone or sneaker spot, it would've been embraced.

The Bronx may have the toughest time adjusting when gentrification Setswana for the Bronx.

Here's a question....Imagine you owned 5 buildings to put anywhere in NYC to rent out...where would you want those buildings to be? Soho? Upper West Side?....or tell me you would rather put those buildings somewhere in the South Bronx or East New York?

NYC has been and always will be, a city of constant change.

Every generation has their own version of New York and each one thinks their version of New York was the best.

From 70's-late 80's, as crazy as it sounds, no one wanted to live in Manhattan, the city was a mess with the crack epidemic, but now look at it.
It was like that in every borough, but the turnaround of Manhattan is like night and day. People don't realize how gritty things were during that time, ask anyone from NYC that grew up in that era and they'll tell you the same thing, it was nuts!

Would you want it to be like that now? Ain't no sneaker stores, camp outs and bull $*% like that back then, you were getting robbed. You wouldn't leave the house with new shoes on, you'd be coming home in your socks.
I personally like keeping my stuff...so no, I wouldn't want things like that now

But the issue of gentrification is too complex to be able to pick a side completely.

It does rob neighborhoods of identity and culture, and I feel for people that get pushed out of neighborhoods that they've been in for decades, especially the elderly. I don't want to live on a block with nothing but starbucks, duane reade, and chase repeating over and over and I'm not trying to pay over $1 for a bottle of water just because we got Josh & Stephanie in the neighborhood out walking their dog every night.

But at the same time...this is NY....Everyone wants to be here, you adapt or you get out of the way, keep it moving, that's the mentality....you didn't see this change coming??

And while I do agree some people have certain advantages over others and the playing field is not level....that's life, deal with it.

I don't think Brooklyn is dying but it is changing and I am not fond of the gentrification. Development is good and so is progress in improving neighborhoods but when it forces certain people out of neighborhoods that have helped to build and are staples in a community I don't necessarily think thats good. I don't have a problem with change but I have a problem with certain people being forced/priced out of neighborhoods.

I'm not gonna name drop places in my area cuz CT is such a small state an nobody talks about CT on NT but still part of the north. I've seen this happen to the town I grew up in and many places around the state over the years big time. So I'm sure PA, DMV, NJ, NY, MA, CT have all experienced it.

question for nyers...with the nets being in Brooklyn now are they completely switching up the downtown area like in most cities?....I gotta check ok NY one of these days soon

And *!*% we need a few more hipsters to move into bmore
laugh.gif
...too many vacant houses and blocks that the city ain't doing anything with

Back
Top Bottom