Is Getting A Shapeup an "Unproffesional" Look?

What's to be said about it fam??? Am I somehow less of a man because I like my hairline nice and neat? Please, help me understand this logic.

- Preciate it.

white folks dont understand what 'nice and neat' is for our hair.

they dont understand ANYTHING about our hair and dont care to. this is why it makes no sense to go by why they deem professional or not.

(not saying TheStranger is white)

...glad some black folks with common sense decided to chime in. this SooperHooper guy is a straight clown.

when i spoke on this even being an issue for black women with natural hairstyles, some white people look at natural hairstyles for black women (mini afros, etc.) as a political statement.

just like with our line ups. they dont understand it completes a neat look for us.

its easy and very lazy to say....'whites mostly control corporate america' and just continue to step and fetch because you're expected to, but until we collectively stop cowering to their unreasonable expectations it will never change.

white folks dont understand what 'nice and neat' is for our hair.

they dont understand ANYTHING about our hair and dont care to. this is why it makes no sense to go by why they deem professional or not.

(not saying TheStranger is white)

...glad some black folks with common sense decided to chime in. this SooperHooper guy is a straight clown.

when i spoke on this even being an issue for black women with natural hairstyles, some white people look at natural hairstyles for black women (mini afros, etc.) as a political statement.

just like with our line ups. they dont understand it completes a neat look for us.

its easy and very lazy to say....'whites mostly control corporate america' and just continue to step and fetch because you're expected to, but until we collectively stop cowering to their unreasonable expectations it will never change.

What's even more hilarious/sad is dudes in here are supporting stepping and fetching yet have NO proof white people even give a damn about the "professionalism" of our shape ups, waves, fades, etc. Like preemptive selling out just to be safe....that's just pitiful.

Last edited:
A hairline /race thread on nt will always:

Cats are in here reading too deep into it. I understand what op is talking about, however i know most people won't see where he's coming from.
I'm done trying to explain it. Some understand some don't.
I don't think we're reading too deep into it at all. I fail to see where a black man wanting to look neat, clean, crisp, and sharp is too ethnic of a statement. I mean REALLY. We're not talking about mohawks, parts, designs, double edge ups, burst fades, braids, dreads, S-Curls, etc. We talking about an average black male haircut with a fresh lineup. Help me see how that is unacceptable fam? I mean the haircut I've been getting since I could get a haircut, the haircut my two sons get, the haircut my dad and grandfather get is now TOO ETHNIC and unacceptable in certain circles? You're telling me my white clients are talking negatively about my haircut when they aren't around me or thinking, "Geez I just wish he wouldn't have such a neat haircut, it's not really all that professional"?

I like to agree with seasonedvet and malikdagoat and think that white people wouldn't even notice a simple thing such as a nice line up but you and others in this thread have led me to believe otherwise. I just want to know WHY you and these imaginary corporate suits feel that way. Saying "You'd never see Obama, Denzel, or Collin Powell with a crispy line" doesn't mean **** to me for the same reason you'd never see me with dreads. It just ain't my style. But saying we just don't understand doesn't serve as a good point to your argument.

- Preciate it.

As a white manager in corporate America, I see nothing wrong with it. There are some that take the look really far and end up looking cartoonish, but there are folks of every race/group that take looks too far and end up looking cartoonish in their own ways. To each their own. If being edged up keeps you feeling confident and feeling good, you're likely to do better work IMHO, so rock what works for you.

Edit. Forgot to add, I've never personally heard of or witnessed any conversations about hair being 'too black' or 'too ethnic' before. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but generally speaking in life, most people don't invest as much time thinking about others as you internally believe they do. There are always bigoted ********, but I've been lucky enough to not encounter them.

Last edited:
As a white manager in corporate America, I see nothing wrong with it. There are some that take the look really far and end up looking cartoonish, but there are folks of every race/group that take looks too far and end up looking cartoonish in their own ways. To each their own. If being edged up keeps you feeling confident and feeling good, you're likely to do better work IMHO, so rock what works for you.

Edit. Forgot to add, I've never personally heard of or witnessed any conversations about hair being 'too black' or 'too ethnic' before. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but generally speaking in life, most people don't invest as much time thinking about others as you internally believe they do. There are always bigoted ********, but I've been lucky enough to not encounter them.

:pimp: :pimp:

^Did not read.
20+ sentences=reading too deep into it.

-Preciate it.

So you wanna chime in with some judgmental ****but when somebody asks you to explain yourself you run out the thread and try to be a funny guy? But I'm unprofessional and immature with my crispy lineup. :lol:

Thank you.
/thread

- Preciate it.

Where do you dudes work who are getting looks or feelings about people thinking some kind of way about you for having crisp hairlines or even waves? Many non black people don't even know waves exist until you point it out to them. That said, I have never seen or known anyone to have a problem, I work in I.T if it matters.

a white dude said it...

So it must be true.

a white dude said it...

So it must be true.

That actually made me laugh. I can only speak from my perspective of course, and clearly I'm on NT so take that into account, but in my career the only appearance related discussions I've ever heard of or seen were either:

Person isn't bathing enough / using deodorant / etc

Or

Clothing is inappropriate for work - curse words on shirts, skirts too short / shirt too revealing, etc

Has anyone in this thread actually had an experience where they were told by an employer that their hair wast acceptable?

That actually made me laugh. I can only speak from my perspective of course, and clearly I'm on NT so take that into account, but in my career the only appearance related discussions I've ever heard of or seen were either:

Person isn't bathing enough / using deodorant / etc

Or

Clothing is inappropriate for work - curse words on shirts, skirts too short / shirt too revealing, etc

Has anyone in this thread actually had an experience where they were told by an employer that their hair wast acceptable?

Probably not and that's what's sad.

People in here are trying so hard to "fit in" to this so called corporate standard, when they never really stood out in the 1st place :lol:

Last edited:
alot of ya gotta understand that da modern shape up as we know it isn't that old..so older black men in power have grown up without it

da shape up is just now coming into prominence with middle aged black folks..i remember astonished seeing salt and peppered gray haired

men with crisp line ups and parts and thinking "wow da hiphop generation is gonna get old and gray too"

I think a temp fade would get a pass, anything else would be a little too extreme imo.

OD sharp lines and other hair styles kinda falls into the same category as wearing earrings. It's accepted but doesn't say "I'm a mature well rounded professional". Lineups and earrings say "I'm young with swag. I pay 200+ on sneakers, I don't drive hyundais, kias or any other car that's considered economical because it's a tell tale sign that I dont make much. I listen to music that would embarrass the company if played in the foyer in front of clients. My prime objective with the company is to snatch up the cute girl in accounting and buy a pair of ID Lebrons to post on NT".
alot of self hatred going on in this post b.

Those aren't standard shapeups fam that's that Black Ice dye **** dudes are getting on their heads to make their thinning hair appear darker That ain't no clipper and razor line bruh and it's WHACK AS ****. Fake. Not the regular haircut I am referring to.

The first picture I posted earlier would be what I'm talking about. A standard taper with a nice, crispy, clipper edge up. Not that Shawty Lo, Carlos Boozer painted on ****.

>>>>>

- Preciate it.

Back
Top Bottom