Is Getting A Shapeup an "Unproffesional" Look?

Lol, you guys are crazy if you think white people actually care about line-ups, tapers, and the like. They only know the difference between short, long, braids, and dreads. Yeah, they usually think braids, dreads, and super large afros are unprofessional, but they couldn't care less about shape-ups, tapers, waves, or short fros that are well-kept.
I don't think the most of them know the difference between braids and dreads.

Which is why when Melo cut his hair and ESPN claiming, "Carmelo Anthony cut off his dredlocks" was so damn funny to me.
laugh.gif
basically.

White people still got alot of dudes unnecessarily shook I see. 
but aint nuffin a greater feeling

them hopping off that barber chair with da cleanest cut soon as you get sprayed down with alcohol and peep yourself in da mirror, that feeling you get when you

catch your reflection is as if you mentally just went 35-10-7 in a NBA game wit a game winning buzzer beater.
nthat.gif
"Just got a fresh cut.....now we looking for the freaks"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I don't think the most of them know the difference between braids and dreads.

Which is why when Melo cut his hair and ESPN claiming, "Carmelo Anthony cut off his dredlocks" was so damn funny to me. :lol:

This is true, and it goes in line with really not caring about the difference. Dreadlocks and braids are the equivalent of having long hair, just not a professional look no matter how well you tie it.

No one really cares about "crisp lines" in the corporate world. I think it's funny how NT goes all in on hairline threads, back of my head, I'm like: "Who the **** cares?", :lol:

As a white manager in corporate America, I see nothing wrong with it. There are some that take the look really far and end up looking cartoonish, but there are folks of every race/group that take looks too far and end up looking cartoonish in their own ways. To each their own. If being edged up keeps you feeling confident and feeling good, you're likely to do better work IMHO, so rock what works for you.

Edit. Forgot to add, I've never personally heard of or witnessed any conversations about hair being 'too black' or 'too ethnic' before. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but generally speaking in life, most people don't invest as much time thinking about others as you internally believe they do. There are always bigoted ********, but I've been lucky enough to not encounter them.
a white dude said it...

So it must be true.

I'm willing to admit maybe my thinking is a bit conservative. I have friends who cut off their dreads for interviews. So I'm not the only one. But maybe dreads aren't bad so long as its neat.

if the president got points then it would be too much imo :lol:

but the box sideburns is a good look

I really don't think race is important. If you are in corporate you have already bought a certain life and you should focus on succeeding in there. By this point " selling out" should not even exist in your vocabulary as you have chosen a lifestyle associated with certain things

Everything has an image and is easy to classify because of marketing.

Choose your box and stay in it.

As bad as it sounds now that I think about this, I see it. All the older black people at my firm dont get shape ups. I dont think its a professional thing, but a generational thing. Like my parents think the concept of getting a shape up is dumb and refuse to let my younger bro get one when he gets haircuts. Same thing they did to me until 6th grade when I started getting clowned for it in Middle school.

I think this is it right here, generational thing. When I was younger my pops wouldn't let me get a cut every 2 weeks. To him that was absurd, I got it once a month and just comb my hair and kept it neat like he did. They aren't obsessed with shape up and all that stuff. Even with their haircuts it is so simple a little off top and sides keep a neat look and natural hairline. No fades, tapers, or ceasars. It isn't a corporate thing but their thing, that is how they do it.

I think this is it right here, generational thing. When I was younger my pops wouldn't let me get a cut every 2 weeks. To him that was absurd, I got it once a month and just comb my hair and kept it neat like he did. They aren't obsessed with shape up and all that stuff. Even with their haircuts it is so simple a little off top and sides keep a neat look and natural hairline. No fades, tapers, or ceasars. It isn't a corporate thing but their thing, that is how they do it.
that David Robinson, admiral cut.

I'm 30.

For most of my life, i got edge ups/shape ups every 7-10 days.

But now, i don't have time or energy to worry about a fresh line up.

I shave my face and head with clippers every few days....i used to bic the head and keep facial hair, but realized using the same device in your head and face is way easier. Most older dudes just don't care about it anymore.

I really don't think race is important. If you are in corporate you have already bought a certain life and you should focus on succeeding in there. By this point " selling out" should not even exist in your vocabulary as you have chosen a lifestyle associated with certain things

Everything has an image and is easy to classify because of marketing.

Choose your box and stay in it.
Again this brings us back to OP's question though...since when did a neat, crisp, haircut become "not corporate"? I seriously think this imaginary corporate world where edge ups, nice cars, and somehow being yourself is acting "too black"; doesn't even exist. Are dudes walking around on Wall Street with half moon caesars, Boosie Fades, and cornrows? No but I seriously doubt in the everyday workplace, anybody's getting fired or reprimanded for coming in with a fresh line.

I guess my pops was just a fly ***** then. He was the most conservative dad when it came to appearance and how you carried yourself. No earrings, sagging pants, and all that nonsense but he KEPT a fresh cut and made sure I always had one too. So I've always associated a sharp haircut with a well put-together individual, not somebody who's tryna "keep it real" or be too anything.

I really wanna leave this topic alone but it really intrigues me. Had no idea my barbers have been in the business of helping me NOT secure a job. :lol:

- Preciate it.

I guess my pops was just a fly ***** then. He was the most conservative dad when it came to appearance and how you carried yourself. No earrings, sagging pants, and all that nonsense but he KEPT a fresh cut and made sure I always had one too. So I've always associated a sharp haircut with a well put-together individual, not somebody who's tryna "keep it real" or be too anything.

I really wanna leave this topic alone but it really intrigues me. Had no idea my barbers have been in the business of helping me NOT secure a job. :lol:

- Preciate it.
yeah... i'm w/ you on this...

my pop copped line ups and he's 53...

all the old heads are lined up around my way.

Again this brings us back to OP's question though...since when did a neat, crisp, haircut become "not corporate"? I seriously think this imaginary corporate world where edge ups, nice cars, and somehow being yourself is acting "too black"; doesn't even exist. Are dudes walking around on Wall Street with half moon caesars, Boosie Fades, and cornrows? No but I seriously doubt in the everyday workplace, anybody's getting fired or reprimanded for coming in with a fresh line.

- Preciate it.

...and here is where the problem is two-fold. Unlined or no shape up is not considered "fresh" by urban standards. The flip side is that corporate black males see it as unproffessional or as a sign of excubrance.

In reality, non-black folks truly don't care. *shrug*

It is an interesting topic.

Might be a regional thing on top of a generational type thing.

Last edited:
Never had a person tell me that I look to neat and clean-cut. I highly doubt I ever will.

I associate not having a crisp hairline with not being successful

white folk pull it off on the regular and flourish, but with curly hair aka naps you must have that lined up nicely.

now i can see what you mean if your rocking the thin thin beard line that runs across the jaw line, that can look a little ghetto fab. I have no facial hair so usually I just keep the stache and the chin hairs real low. No lining that up for me

Im in the barber once a week just like my Dad when I was growing up, swag on a hunned when I hop up out that chair 8)

A lot of the older people have receding, fading or uneven hairlines anyway. Getting a low fade without a lineup is more appealing than trying to houdini a shape up

I associate not having a crisp hairline with not being successful

white folk pull it off on the regular and flourish, but with curly hair aka naps you must have that lined up nicely.

now i can see what you mean if your rocking the thin thin beard line that runs across the jaw line, that can look a little ghetto fab. I have no facial hair so usually I just keep the stache and the chin hairs real low. No lining that up for me

Im in the barber once a week just like my Dad when I was growing up, swag on a hunned when I hop up out that chair 8)

Word lol Dat new cut feel is :pimp:.

Last edited:
At the end of the day do what works for u. But at the same time don't let Niketalk scare u away from da barbershop lol

I know it's not super relevant since I'm white and all, but I get my fade and hair trimmed up every 7-10 days to maintain my appearance for work. When you have short hair the only way to keep it looking good is to invest the time and money consistently. I wish I could rock longer hair but I don't like it or think it looks right on me. I still don't see what the problem is for a black man to do the same. I don't get the hair line lined up, but I can see why someone would, and as a manager I stand by my earlier statement that in my 14 year corporate career I have never heard of this being a concern or issue with any race.

I always joke with my wife that if we hit the lotto I'm going to hire my barber to be full time staff to trim me up every 3 days so I stay crisp all the time.

Last edited:
So basically what we've learned is:

- White people don't care (or notice)
- Older black males don't really care, it just wasn't their style.
- The only people who DO care are 25-40 y.o. "token" black males who somehow think they're more accepted by the corporate world because they don't get lineups and push Camrys to be "conservative" :lol:

So basically this all sums to another case of black people judging OTHER black people based on some white/corporate standard that in reality doesn't even exist.

...stuff like this is why we can't get ahead. :smh:

Last edited:
So basically what we've learned is:

- White people don't care (or notice)
- Older black males don't really care, it just wasn't their style.
- The only people who DO care are 25-40 y.o. "token" black males who somehow think they're more accepted by the corporate world because they don't get lineups and push Camrys to be "conservative" :lol:

So basically this all sums to another case of black people judging OTHER black people based on some white/corporate standard that in reality doesn't even exist.

...stuff like this is why we can't get ahead. :smh:
My point exactly. It's bad enough we have to walk on eggshells in a lot of social and business circles just because of who we are. Now our own people saying we don't fit the corporate mold because we keep a neat, crisp haircut?

- Preciate it.

Back
Top Bottom