Is Harder To Skate or Surf?

99.jpg

wave-surfing.jpg

Let it be known that I can do neither, but I was a fly on the wall in a "skate vs surf" argument over the weekend...

...what say you NT?

I thought surfing was a helluva lot more difficult.
actually, I'll get a bit more specific.
It's harder to catch a wave and ride a wave than it is to skate down the street.
It's harder to do tricks on a skateboard than it is to catch a wave.
I haven't picked up a surfboard in 20 years though.

-J-

Surf, and that's coming from an ex skater. The ground is, for all intensive purposes, stagnant.

The water? full of sharks and liable to change at any time.

Originally Posted by Yeah

Surf, and that's coming from an ex skater. The ground is, for all intensive purposes, stagnant.

The dudes arguing were saying that surfing was more of a workout/physically demanding than skating too...

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

The dudes arguing were saying that surfing was more of a workout/physically demanding than skating too...
They both have their degree of difficulty, both have variables that the other one doesn't.  However, if you are talking about physically demanding, it is surfing hands down.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

I might take that side. Surfing is a TOTAL body workout.

Paddling is no joke.

Originally Posted by JBug88

I thought surfing was a helluva lot more difficult.
actually, I'll get a bit more specific.
It's harder to catch a wave and ride a wave than it is to skate down the street.
It's harder to do tricks on a skateboard than it is to catch a wave.
I haven't picked up a surfboard in 20 years though.

-J-
Pretty much.
I think they're hard to compare though.  Surfing at a high level requires a significant amount of skill in reading waves and dealing with the fact that the environment is constantly changing.  Skating occurs on a stable, stationary environment.

I have total respect for skateboarding but I'm going to have to say surfing by a large margin.

The degree of balance and control it takes to maneuver an 9 foot plastic board over the ocean is a lot harder than controling a 3 foot wooden plank on solid ground.... at any level.

never surfed before but always have wanted to.. i will say this tho, skating a 16 stair will get you a lot more hurt then a surfing a comparable wave

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

I have total respect for skateboarding but I'm going to have to say surfing by a large margin.

The degree of balance and control it takes to maneuver an 9 foot plastic board over the ocean is a lot harder than controling a 3 foot wooden plank on solid ground.... at any level.

thats 100% false... the bigger the board the easier it is to balance on it and yall make it sound like people are skateboarding on perfectly even cemented ground... most of my friends who dont skate have a hard time moving once on a skateboard
edit: this question is like asking is it harder to play soccer or basketball...

Are you comparing just riding?

If so then surfing.

When it comes down to tricks and all that, skating easily wins.

It's way harder to back nose blunt a 12 stair rail than it is to catch a 12 ft wave.

It takes YEARS to even get to that level of skating, like 5 years minimum of skating just about every day, and most people still won't be able to do it.

As far as physically demanding, yeah surfing wins of course, but that's obvious.

As a guy who has skated for almost a decade, I tried surfing and it was damn near impossible

i've done both at the basic level. surfing is extremely hard just to catch a wave and go. skating is a lot easier to get going and rolling obviously.

once you add in tricks and the extreme technicality of skating tho, it's probably tougher to skate imo. surfing is definitely more of a workout though.

Back
Top Bottom