Is it bad for the laptop to be charged all day everyday?

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

i think it is okay to leave it charged all day

from what i learned, when you laptop is fully charged, the battery is no longer in use, the laptop uses power from the outlet only, not the battery

IMO if you use your battery all the time and charge it fully, then use your laptop, that will kill the battery

btw, once a month, let your battery drain to 0%, then fully charge it, it doesnt help your battery life, but it makes your battery meter more accurate
i heard once a week, and i also heard that it does help with the battery life

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Most laptop powersluppleis ;have tranisistors that cut offf porwer t the beattery battery to prevernt overcahargeing
I know Apple does, but just the same I use power supply & battery equaly.

SAme deal for phones? shouldn't leave it on the charger? And drain it once n a while?

YES. it is BAD for the laptop to be charged everyday. i learned the hard way.

had a huge paper to print out so i brought my laptop to my college library to print it out, after 5 mins of turning the laptop on, the battery already depletedto 0 and i had to turn in my paper late
alien.gif

leaving it plugged in kills battery life, so i advise u not to do so.

glad i came in this thread, i was thinking about this all day, i usually leave mine plugged in all day but i think im going to take the battery out and use ACpower. thanks op for this thread.

you can leave it in.. you just need to power cycle your battery every month or so to keep it in top shape..

Nope. Learned this in Fall quarter in my CS class last year. In the past they used some other kind of battery for laptops (forgot what it was), but now theyuse lithion ion batteries so it doesn't lose battery life or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by bamez

SAme deal for phones? shouldn't leave it on the charger? And drain it once n a while?

Yes, if you leave the charger in your phone all the time... or overcharging it (like more than 3 hours [when your sleeping]) you can mess up the battery. Ilike it charge it when im awake so when it is done i can just take it out the charger and know that it wont be over charged
nerd.gif
. i like to drain the battery also once a week... at least. and its good to turnyour phone off once in a while also
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mac4167

glad i came in this thread, i was thinking about this all day, i usually leave mine plugged in all day but i think im going to take the battery out and use AC power. thanks op for this thread.

No problem. Helping out others while i help myself is much appreciated
smile.gif

So on my macbook..you cant take the battery out..so what should I do ??
nerd.gif

Ive been charging it up till its full then taking it out..Does the battery really stop charging after its at 100% on Macs ??

ok I really don't know:

in college, I left my old laptop charged all the time battery died during the second year so I brought the desktop from home instead.

Now, the work laptop I have from my company, I let the battery run down twice a month and then charge it. Battery also died in the second year.

First laptop was a Toshiba, work one is a Dell. I'm pretty much as clueless as you OP. (thankfully my company took care of the replacement battery cost)

Laptop batteries are a constant struggle and are constantly evolving. There are always new technologies and slight improvements to help extend the life of thebattery and pack more juice into each one. Some manufacturers even offer battery protection plans now.

You have conflicting opinions on this thread because you are getting opinions from people who all have different computers, purchased at different times, withdifferent batteries and different usage levels. The best thing to do is to play it safe and remove the battery when it is fully charged but weary of the emptyspace this leaves in your laptop. In the end it's not worth the headache of always draining the battery or whatnot, just use it at your leisure and when itdies you buy another one for $100 or less.

Originally Posted by AirAsianJordan

http://www.officedepot.co...tellite-L505-S5966-15-6/

This is the one i just bought last week. but i payed 430
pimp.gif

what, it didn't come with spell check?

Had my laptop for about a year now. It's always plugged and it'll only last an hour now.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by infamousod

Laptop batteries are a constant struggle and are constantly evolving. There are always new technologies and slight improvements to help extend the life of the battery and pack more juice into each one. Some manufacturers even offer battery protection plans now.

You have conflicting opinions on this thread because you are getting opinions from people who all have different computers, purchased at different times, with different batteries and different usage levels. The best thing to do is to play it safe and remove the battery when it is fully charged but weary of the empty space this leaves in your laptop. In the end it's not worth the headache of always draining the battery or whatnot, just use it at your leisure and when it dies you buy another one for $100 or less.

pimp.gif

nice response, but what do you mean it didnt come with spell check?
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

Laptop batteries are a constant struggle and are constantly evolving. There are always new technologies and slight improvements to help extend the life of the battery and pack more juice into each one. Some manufacturers even offer battery protection plans now.

You have conflicting opinions on this thread because you are getting opinions from people who all have different computers, purchased at different times, with different batteries and different usage levels. The best thing to do is to play it safe and remove the battery when it is fully charged but weary of the empty space this leaves in your laptop. In the end it's not worth the headache of always draining the battery or whatnot, just use it at your leisure and when it dies you buy another one for $100 or less.

pimp.gif

ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

*Paid
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Black Entourage inc

pimp.gif

ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

*Paid
wink.gif

nerd.gif
i see
eyes.gif

I let the battery run dry before I plug it in. That's the whole point in having a laptop right? Wireless freedom?

Its not bad. If you mostly/always use it plugged in, then make sure you calibrate the battery (let it charge all the way then die all the way) around once amonth. If you use it like a normal laptop, you should be calibrating around every 2-3 months.

You can leave it plugged, but take the battery out!

I did that for 3 years of college, and my battery life was shortened to about 30 minutes from 2.5 hours. Yes, it does make the power meter more accurate, butthe battery life decreases. Don't do it, unless you want 30 minutes of battery.

Or, if you have to leave your battery in, just take out the charger when the battery is near full, and then let it run out to like 5-10% before plugging itback in.

Back
Top Bottom