Is it bad for the laptop to be charged all day everyday?

Originally Posted by LongRange3Ball

You can leave it plugged, but take the battery out!

I did that for 3 years of college, and my battery life was shortened to about 30 minutes from 2.5 hours. Yes, it does make the power meter more accurate, but the battery life decreases. Don't do it, unless you want 30 minutes of battery.

Or, if you have to leave your battery in, just take out the charger when the battery is near full, and then let it run out to like 5-10% before plugging it back in.

When i leave my laptop on (without the charger in) and when it goes down to like 8 percent. it hibernates... is there a way i can stop that from happening.

Originally Posted by AirAsianJordan

I did that for 3 years of college, and my battery life was shortened to about 30 minutes from 2.5 hours. Yes, it does make the power meter more accurate, but the battery life decreases. Don't do it, unless you want 30 minutes of battery.

Or, if you have to leave your battery in, just take out the charger when the battery is near full, and then let it run out to like 5-10% before plugging it back in.

When i leave my laptop on (without the charger in) and when it goes down to like 8 percent. it hibernates... is there a way i can stop that from happening.

Yeah, go to control panel from the start menu, and then go to power options, and you can tell the comp not to hibernate. Hope that helps

Batteries need to be cycled (drained and recharged again) in order to get the best performance out of them. My last laptop i left plugged in all the time andit ended up only lasting 20 mins tops. With my new laptop i never leave it plugged in too long. Just over night at the most when im downloading stuff.

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

I leave it plugged, but I take the battery out.

+1, even though before I did this I never noticed the battery discharging any slower than it normally does.

Yeah, go to control panel from the start menu, and then go to power options, and you can tell the comp not to hibernate. Hope that helps
you can set a new threshold too. so you can set it to hiberanate when it reaches, say 3%

i tried to look for it but no luck
frown.gif

Originally Posted by nkwu11

you can set a new threshold too. so you can set it to hiberanate when it reaches, say 3%

How can i do this? Please elaborate

^theres gotta be a "control panel" from the start menu of windows. Once you are there, you're gonna see a buncha icons, ranging from add/removeprograms to display to security center. This is the place where you can customize wallpapers, screen savers, firewalls, etc...

One of those icons is going to be "power options" or some sort. What nkwu11 states is that once you are there, you can set tell the comp to hibernateat 3% instead of 8%, or you can just tell it not to hibernate at all. Basically, you can set it to however you want.

This is for Windows XP and lower... don't know how Vista or 7 works, but it should be similar.

Most newer laptops have the smart batteries that you can leave plugged in, b/c like somebody else said they know when to just run off AC power.

What you never want to do with any laptop though is only drain it halfway constantly... run that thing the whole way down to near the bottom before you goplugging it back it - that's what really hurt it, is not cycling the full length.. plugging it in for long periods doesn't hurt most of them now.

Damn,

I got my MBP in October and everyday when I use it for long hours @ home I have it plugged into the Adapter, when I shut my Computer off I disconnect theAdapter.
nerd.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Damn,

I got my MBP in October and everyday when I use it for long hours @ home I have it plugged into the Adapter, when I shut my Computer off I disconnect the Adapter.
nerd.gif
frown.gif

ur good dude.. read my post. The computer knows to go off battery power when it's fully charged.

You just don't want to be half draining or less consistently between charges... either use all the charge or keep it plugged in.

Try "creating a power plan"?

Sorry OP, didn't know you were running Vista (or something non-XP)

Your trying to help so its all good... When i go to "Create own plan" it doesnt help
eyes.gif
. it doesnt say anything about %'s... only minutes
mad.gif

well i would leave it charged all day on my Dell laptop and the battery burned out so I had to get a new one..other than that if the battery is fully chargedon my laptop I still would plug it into the outlet but take the battery out to save battery life.

Back
Top Bottom