Is Kanye a top 10 rapper of all-time?

Well, I personally can't say that about Kanye either.

His catalog is great, but hardly flawless.

Well, I personally can't say that about Kanye either.

His catalog is great, but hardly flawless.

Exactly. I really didn't even have to put the Kast albums to prove my point. Because Yeezus and 808s are not flawless/classic.

I mean...I think they're both hot steaming piles of ****, but I know that would be too controversial. :lol: So I'll just say they're not flawless.

Exactly. I really didn't even have to put the Kast albums to prove my point. Because Yeezus and 808s are not flawless/classic.

I mean...I think they're both hot steaming piles of ****, but I know that would be too controversial. :lol: So I'll just say they're not flawless.

You don't have to view them in that manner, me and others might feel different. I personally think both of those "pile of ****" albums were very good. You have your opinion and I have mine simple as that.

Wait you're talking about actual lyrical ability? And you're putting him top 10?? :rofl:

I'm a kanye fan too

So this topic is serious

I mean I realize he has his stans and all

but you guys are actually including someone who uses a ghostwriter in your top ten?

That's like using steroids b, you're automatically excluded

It also shows how far rap has gone down in the last ten years.

Glad I grew up in the Kane, G Rap, Rakim, KRS, Chuck D and Slick Rick era.

Last edited:
Tribe catalog is no where near outkast :smh: :smh: :smh:

ATLiens is one of the GREATEST hip hop albums off all time and Speakerboxxx/Love Below is one of the best SELLING hip hop albums of all time... U never get the best of both worlds like that man

This is where I unsubscribe :smh:

Last edited:
Tribe catalog is no where near outkast :smh: :smh: :smh:

ATLiens is one of the GREATEST hip hop albums off all time and Speakerboxxx/Love Below is one of the best SELLING hip hop albums of all time... U never get the best of both worlds like that man

This is where I unsubscribe :smh:

Saying outkast is better is tolerable. Saying tribe's catologue is no where near outkast's catologue is just crazy talk. Both have multiple classics. Both have greatly impacted hip hop. Both made timeless music. I can go on forever. To say tribe doesn't belong in the same conversation with kast is the dumbest, wildest thing I have heard in a while. Please unsubscribe immediately.

Kanye has never been lyrical, not sure how you can have him in your top 10 of all time. I think people get mixed up with top 10 lyrically and their top 10 favorite. Kanye has always struggled with his verses. He's known for extremely corny lines. It's been stated many times that he doesn't write all of his rhymes either.

One thing I like about Kanye is how involved he is with his music. He's an "artist" to me and easily one of the best because he has a hand in writing, composing, tours, videos and so on. Everything goes through him when it's time for an album or single. I respect that but lyrically, not even close to the top 20.

So we aren't mentioning Idlewild now when it comes to OutKast's catalogue?

It's a soundtrack. All their real albums were made organically w/ certain things in mind that go out the window w/ a soundtrack. But you can count it. I don't really care. Personally, I separate it.

Kanye is one of a kind in hiphop.  When we think about him we think about his beats for himself and others, his concerts, how he took conscience rap records or ideas and made them cross over hits.  His classic videos, his influence and his overall love for the art and how he wanted to be original in everything he did.

So from that standpoint I get it why people say he should crack the top 10.

But if you just break it down from an MC/ hiphop thing. It's hard to say yeah Kanye is on the same level as Pac, Nas, Jay etc...which goes back to what dudes pointed out is the ghost writing machine behind him.

My opinion he deserves to be mentioned in the Top 10 from an OVERALL contribution to hiphop rather then just  a rapper in the top 10 for just being a rapper.

The thing that is truly great about Kanye is that he hyped himself up so much we had no choice but to listen. The fact that anyone can consider him a top 10 lyricist is proof of this. I promise you kanye himself would even laugh at that thought.

And again, I'm a kanye fan. I just hate he is barometer in hip hop now. Can't he just go back to rocking Louie backpacks and making music for suburban nerds who like soul samples????

No, he can't :frown:

Last edited:
Yo that really discredits a rapper for me if they have ghost writers

Wait didn't Nas have ghostwritters???? Y'all were reverse cowgirling him down in that Illmatic XX thread.... That Kanye ghostwritter **** could just rumors. Consequence is a ******....

Lately, I have been re-assessing who I put in my top 10 MC's of all time and recently on the lower end of that 10 I have been struggling and going back and forth on whether Kanye is in there.

Has Kanye's College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, 808's and Heartbreak, MBDTF, Watch The Throne, Yeezus been enough for your top 10?
No and it probably never will.

He just isn't that good of a rapper. At this point he's more of a famous name than he is a good rapper let alone top 10.

Wait didn't Nas have ghostwritters???? Y'all were reverse cowgirling him down in that Illmatic XX thread.... That Kanye ghostwritter **** could just rumors. Consequence is a ******....
No Nas never had ghostwriters. The ppl that were named as his ghostwriters said they weren't themselves.

Kanye has ghostwriters and it aint no damn rumor. Check the credits in his albums. From hit singles to album cuts, there's a good amount he didn't write on his own or at all.

Even with that said, he's clearly not paying for their best verses and he's not rapping them that well anyway cuz he's simply not that good of a rapper. He's more of a good enough in other areas and some times even over the top to make up for the that as an entertainer/artist.

Last edited:
The thing that is truly great about Kanye is that he hyped himself up so much we had no choice but to listen. The fact that anyone can consider him a top 10 lyricist is proof of this. I promise you kanye himself would even laugh at that thought. (

no he wouldn't. he said his new slaves verse was the best rap verse ever and was dead

serious and defended the statement.

Tribe catalog is no where near outkast
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif

--> lol

this thread --> lol

Last edited:

But it's not rumors. Consequence and Rhymefest wrote a good portion of his early records

The thing that is truly great about Kanye is that he hyped himself up so much we had no choice but to listen. The fact that anyone can consider him a top 10 lyricist is proof of this. I promise you kanye himself would even laugh at that thought.

So his greatness is based on hype?

I think he's a great artist musically, but I think people GROSSLY exaggerate a lot of things about him.

So while people's belief in his greatness is warranted, I do believe you might be right in the way people OD with it.

Back
Top Bottom