Is NASCAR a sport? Why/Why not?

It is... Requires fast reflex, training, knowledge, strategy, excellent endurance (the likes most of us don't have), and many racers keep themselves in tremendous shape...

These questions are ridiculous...

I used to be a NASCAR fan when I was younger. But any form of motorsport that utilizes left AND right turns > Nascar. That being said its rare to find bigger people in racing series around the world, its a stereotype almost exclusive to NASCAR and other forms of American motorsport(Score Offroad, Trans Am, NHRA etc.).

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by superbowlhomeboy217

If Nascar is a sport, so is playing Madden or Call of Duty. To be successful, you must have a knowledge of your machine, fast, reflexes, and the ability to make quick decisions.
This dude just tried to say Madden and CoD is a sport though
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I never said Nascar was a sport. I said that you could make the same argument for video games and that if you were to accept one, you'd have to accept the other.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

If Nascar is a sport, so is playing Madden or Call of Duty. To be successful, you must have a knowledge of your machine, fast, reflexes, and the ability to make quick decisions.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
If theres ever been a moment for an LOL WUT? then this is it.

Running at 200 mph with 40 other cars on the same track in summer heat with fire ******ant suit and helmet/boots/gloves is the same as sitting in your bedroom at 1am with a bottle of Code Red and some cheesey poofs playing COD.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Man thats quote of the year worthy.
So doing something in the heat while wearing a fire ******ant suit makes it a "sport?" Would you also consider being a fireman or astronaut to be sports? Get out of here...

To accept Nascar as a sport, you set forth down a slippery slope that requires the acceptance of all sorts of stuff.

Just because something is very difficult does not make it a sport.

Its a difficult skill and they are professionals at what they do, but its not a sport.

Golf is another example, some athleticism has to be involved for it to be a sport imo.

I don't associate competition with SPORT, cause then spelling bees should be considered a sport, or playing Poker.
and many racers keep themselves in tremendous shape...

Good for them, that isn't even a requirement for them in the sport.

I keep in shape as well.

Nascar is popular and will always have plenty of people defending it.

The fact is that if you like it, you can defend just about any action that requires the use of muscles/brains as a sport, where at least two individuals can compete against each other. Most people wouldn't consider e-gaming a true sport. But I could sit here and give a whole lecture about how it requires great reflexes, hand-eye coordination, etc.. And how you would suck if you went against a pro gamer. Just like I could do for anything. Go ahead: Name an action that a human being does physically. ANYTHING! And I am sure that if you created a competitive pro league for whatever that is, the best people at this would be great at controlling some part of their body and everyone here would completely suck if they went against that person.

lol....

nascar drivers/crews do this for 9-10 months.. 

3,000+ lbs car . . driving at 160-200mph 

drivers wear 5-layer fireproof suits for about 4 hours driving with no rest against 43 other drivers.. no timeouts no halftime 

most drivers lose up to 5-10 lbs per race.. cockpits can reach up to 120 degrees 

you may not have to be in the best shape to drive a stock car.. but to compete with the elite drivers you sure do have to be... 

the amount of concentration and dedication shown.. its a sport imo 

you may not have to be in the best shape to drive a stock car.. but to compete with the elite drivers you sure do have to be...

Just like you have to be with *insert activity* to compete with the elite.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
If theres ever been a moment for an LOL WUT? then this is it.

Running at 200 mph with 40 other cars on the same track in summer heat with fire ******ant suit and helmet/boots/gloves is the same as sitting in your bedroom at 1am with a bottle of Code Red and some cheesey poofs playing COD.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Man thats quote of the year worthy.
So doing something in the heat while wearing a fire ******ant suit makes it a "sport?" Would you also consider being a fireman or astronaut to be sports? Get out of here...

To accept Nascar as a sport, you set forth down a slippery slope that requires the acceptance of all sorts of stuff.
What kind of argument is this?  They're professionals at auto RACING and COMPETE to WIN at the end of each race and also at the end of the year.

Who are Firemen competing against? Who are Astronauts competing against? The Ruski's? Doubt it since we'll be buying seats on their shuttles for the next 5 years...

I digress.  If you wanna argue whether or not they're athletes, then whatever, that's a different argument.  But its absolutely a sport.

sport  (spôrt, sp
omacr.gif
rt)n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

lol....

drivers wear 5-layer fireproof suits for about 4 hours driving with no rest against 43 other drivers.. no timeouts no halftime 

most drivers lose up to 5-10 lbs per race.. cockpits can reach up to 120 degrees 

True or False: Astronauts are playing a sport when they are on missions.

lol....

Do they have a league of Astronauts that keep track of mission stats for the sake of competition and results in a champion being crowned? 

False...

lol....

Are you kidding me dude?

WHO DO ASTRONAUTS COMPETE AGAINST?

What are the RULES that they abide by in whatever space leage that they play in?

The fact that it is a competition was not included in the original posters explanation of why NASCAR is a sport. I was simply posting that very similar things could be said of astronauts/firemen and that they should not be included in any discussion about how NASCAR is a sport. The whole notion that "fireproof suits" and high speeds make something a sport is ridiculous. If you accept NASCAR, you roll down a slippery slope where you have to accept dumb things like video games (unless you have tricked yourself into believing things like temperature and outfits make a difference).

lol....

Are you kidding me dude?

WHO DO ASTRONAUTS COMPETE AGAINST?

What are the RULES that they abide by in whatever space leage that they play in?
they compete with the laws and rules of gravity, duh! and don't forget aliens.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The fact that it is a competition was not included in the original posters explanation of why NASCAR is a sport. I was simply posting that very similar things could be said of astronauts/firemen and that they should not be included in any discussion about how NASCAR is a sport. The whole notion that "fireproof suits" and high speeds make something a sport is ridiculous. If you accept NASCAR, you roll down a slippery slope where you have to accept dumb things like video games (unless you have tricked yourself into believing things like temperature and outfits make a difference).

So basically your main arguing points have been that they wear similar clothing as Astronauts and Firefighters and if we say NASCAR is a sport then we open the floodgates and next thing we know World of Warcraft will be an Olympic event. 

I'm done.

Yo DSA, do you know the score? You know... Of the Astronauts vs Aliens game? Im trying to get the gamecast on ESPN but I cant find it.
30t6p3b.gif

EDIT: Actually if anyone has a stream, PM? 
nerd.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
I can't believe this dude, first he tries to compare professionally driving a Nascar to sitting on your couch and playing Madden and CoD. Then he wants to compare Nascar to being a fireman or astronaut
roll.gif
Dude is a troll. I am going to say I really didn't think Nascar was a sport but I am coming around to it. Are the drivers considered athletes? No. Does that make it not a sport? Absolutely not. You tell me sitting in a 100+ degree car for 3 hours while driving around a track in traffic is on the same level as video games? And just because firefighters may face similar conditions, last time I checked they weren't competing against anyone, there is no keeping a score. And astronauts...... I can honestly say I hate Nascar, it is boring as hell and I have no interests in it but to use the arguments you are is asinine.

I bumped this because I am in here watching Sunday night football discussing this topic with a friend.

I would say yes because sitting for 100+ laps in a seated position while applying pressure to a pedal is an athletic feat. No it isn't running or jumping but it does involve physical activity.

The thing is this, we are so quick to say this sport is more of a sport than this sport. We are so quick to say that athletes of this sport are more athletic than athletes of that sport. Why compare? different sports use different sets of bodily functions. Mike Phelps and Calvin Johnson shouldn't have their athletic abilities compared because they are very different. Is Phelps less athletic because his sport doesn't force him to run and jump? Is Megatron more athletic because he has to shove attacking men off of him. I would say no, we shouldn't compare. So the "Which sport is more athletic" should be done. I am sorry I ever participated in those discussion.

I found this answer from Yahoo Answers. Most important portion is underlined.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (when I was much younger lol), the term "sport" meant a challenge involving great personal risk.. It didn't require personal competition (but it could), but did require attaining a goal, such as mountain climbing, hunting, or fishing, racing anything, bull fighting.. That kind of stuff..
The definition was really changed by newspapers that began to carry "sports stories" about things that had only been considered "games" in the past.. Gradually the definition of the word "sport" was accepted to included those games, and people began to lose the actual meaning of the word..
Racing has always been considered a sport, most of the others that you call sports, are newcomers to the term..

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

im sure all the people saying it's not a sport could win a few races since it takes no skill right

Originally Posted by Essential1

It is... Requires fast reflex, training, knowledge, strategy, excellent endurance (the likes most of us don't have), and many racers keep themselves in tremendous shape...

These questions are ridiculous...

Im probably the only NASCAR fan on this whole site and i cannot believe this argument is still going around
30t6p3b.gif

Some of you guys are complete idiots, honestly

Back
Top Bottom