Is Nike no longer as cool as it used to be?

All our trends come from trying to look wealthy. Either we got it directly from the wealthy or it something we think the wealthy buy.

Hi y’all. Can you help settle a debate for me?

I told a friend that Nike was no longer the cool hype must have sneaker brand among Gen Z (and in general.)

I told him other brands (imo like ASICS) have overtaken them in coolness with the current generation. I also pointed out that the past several Jordan releases have sold out while other brands are selling out and more sought after.

IMO gen z doesn’t really **** with Nike.

As a counter my friend said all of his Gen Z neighbors are still crazy about Dunks and Nike is still as cool and hype as it always has been. He also stated Nike’s earnings are the same which is actual evidence.

But idk. IMO the vibes are down. It’s not the same.

So what do y’all think?

I think you're wrong and your friend is right. Who knows how many pairs of the panda dunk Nike has been able to sell the past 2-3 years. Nike is pumping out Jordan retros with stock numbers 10x of what those other brands are releasing.

The other brands might be more popular on IG on fashion pages and generate more likes but when it comes to the general population and what people are wearing Nike is still in the lead.

as a former runner the pegasus line has fallen off imo, I really only wear NB for my casual and workout shoes

I feel you. When I think of training, Nike doesn’t really come to mind anymore.
Some dork in the nike forum was mad because it was pointed out that a lot of experienced runners don’t wear nike and wear other brands to run in. Seems like he got upset because he only wears nikes for running. :lol:

I have a few friends that run marathons and races regularly, they always wearing non-nike sneakers.

Nah bro it’s true. I became a believer when I copped some NB 860 V12. They’re amazing and not as rigid feeling like a lot of Nike runners that I have used. NB right now is killing it. Adidas with Ant Man and you have the overseas brand making great products.

How are the 860s? I have an older pair of Fresh Foams 1080s (v11) that have been relegated to dog walking shoes and will probably replace them soon.

Nike is one of the strongest brands in the world. Sorry you are wrong.

Asics have always been dope and are on the ascent from a popularity standpoint but still pale in comparison to Nike, Adidas, and even Puma. Asics had roughly 3B in revenues last year (Euros) They not even on this chart lol.....

of course cool is subjective, but what's cooler than money? Nike isn't just dominating, their lead is growing.

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 10.58.07 PM.png

I mean thats what happens when you a run a method into the ground. Nike did this to themselves. Which lets me FURTHER know Nike was the reseller.

Nike should dump money into some more Netflix productions. they gotta do an air max series, Ken Griffey , etc

The last dance, Abstract:tinker hatfield, I think those all contributed to Nikes success over the last 2 years. Covid helped them big time too.

the article is misleading as stock prices are still higher than pre covid

As a gen z who is 17, turning 18, there's a bunch of weirdos wearing allbirds, hoka, salmons, and them new lanvin curb joints which are humongous.

Not me. I can't rock with that. Plenty of people still wearing panda dunks thinking they're doing it though.

I have a little cousin who wanted panda dunks and I had put his lil fat *** on game to only rock Jordan 1 og lows or 85s instead

As a gen z who is 17, turning 18, there's a bunch of weirdos wearing allbirds, hoka, salmons, and them new lanvin curb joints which are humongous.

Not me. I can't rock with that. Plenty of people still wearing panda dunks thinking they're doing it though.

I have a little cousin who wanted panda dunks and I had put his lil fat *** on game to only rock Jordan 1 og lows or 85s instead
allbirds :sick:

Youre an old soul, salute.

Its because of people like you, the legacy of Jordan lives on.

That trendy stuff is all gimmick and fad, nohing beats established greatness.

Nike always gonna be top dog for retros. They been lackin on new models for over a decade now tho.

Modern Nike models tend to be strictly performance-based and have an uber-sporty design language, while you have competitors like Adidas who are pumping out new designs that combine comfort and casual appeal, i.e. UB, NMD, YZY.

Fashion shifted towards athliesure, which was then reflected in sneaker culture, and brands like Asics and NB were huge beneficiaries of that as well.

I think the only reason why Nike isnt as "big: anymore is cause of limited releases. Every good release is limited so the average person most likely cant get the shoe. They can easily get cheap NBs and Asics so thats what they wear.

They’re just on their lows, similar to when adidas busted out the NMDs and Yeezy jumped onboard, they took it hit there…. It’s just a matter of when and how they bounce back. Collaborations have been a steady path, but the constant cadence has diluted demand.

I would say their innovation department is way behind besides the marathon shoes. No ground breaking models have shaken the big sports outlets like basketball, training, etc…. These were the true channels that exploded the brand to where it is today, and retros are a true testament to that.

However how long is the retro model sustainable?

I teach in a high school. The only shoes on feet are Jordan’s, dunks, forces, Yeezys, new balances, balanciagas and Uggs. Nobody is rocking ASICS fam. You must be locked into some Midwest retirement community.
What city and state are you in?

Screenshot_20240208-045615_YouTube.jpg

I def don’t give a **** about Nike the way I used to. Used to have hella brand loyalty for no reason. Don’t think I’ve worn Jordan’s in 10 years. When bred 4s and black cement 3s came out with Nike air on the back and I didn’t even care I knew it was a wrap for me. They turned off a lot of customers making it way too hard just to bless us with the opportunity to give them our money

Of my last 20 purchases 2 have been Nike. I’ve bought more new shoes in the last 2 years than I did the 10 before. Mostly new balance. And I was that kid making fun of other kids for wearing them growing up
Way better materials, comfort, and you can get them on sale

I had this convo the other day with my work friend.

he's 48 and gets all the j's and nikes. he's probably on this site but I don't talk about it because that's weird...

he's mad his kids wear blazers, vans and crocs. :lol: they are all in hs and college.

Back
Top Bottom