Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

I believe social media is ruining the society and it does benefit it society to an extent.

But i believe it does more harm than good maybe 60/40.

Im more concerned about how social media is effecting our generation Z people and beyond.

I know it's people's jobs to use their talents to make a product that everyone loves and can become profitable, but they basically made electronic cocaine. Putting it in handheld form is the baking soda. The result?

Screenshot_20171213-132812.jpg

Oh, if you've never seen the documentary Screenagers, I highly recommend it. You have to catch it when it's in your city.

Cats like that are getting endorsements and ig fame so of course people will try to emulate it or 1 up it.

I've seen black men carry themselves like *****es on social media...on some "dear diary" attention seeking drama crap.
Or maybe they were just always little *****es???

I've seen older black women carry themselves like ratchet vermin on social media.
Or maybe they were just always ratchet vermin?

I've seen white co workers vent bigoted hatred rhetoric on social media.
Or maybe they were always closet racists?

Former Facebook Exec Who Suggested Social Media Was Destroying Society: I Love Facebook
wbtwtvtvbwcixfldruek.jpg

https://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-exec-who-suggested-social-media-was-des-1821328123

A former Facebook executive is trying to sprinkle some niceties onto his ruthless drag of social media—at least when it comes to one social media company in particular. Former vice president of user growth Chamath Palihapitiya recently told an audience at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.” But on Thursday night, two days after Facebook responded to his damning criticism, Palihapitiya walked back on his comments.

“My comments were meant to start an important conversation, not to criticize one company—particularly one I love,” he wrote on Facebook.

Palihapitiya said that he believes that “Facebook is a force for good in the world,” and went on to express his belief that the social network is really trying to make its platform less of a hellish garbage fire of misinformation and election interference.

“Facebook has made tremendous strides in coming to terms with its unforeseen influence and, more so than any of its peers, the team there has taken real steps to course correct,” he wrote in the post.

It’s an interesting move, given Palihapitiya no longer has a stake in the company. In fact, he hasn’t worked there in over six years, a point Facebook made sure to point out in its response to Palihapitiya’s initial criticism. The company’s statement aimed to undermine the former executive’s critique by pointing out that “Facebook was a very different company back then.”

And Facebook is certainly trying to soothe naysayers who think the platform might be rotting the brains of our youth—a viewpoint that Sean Parker, Facebook’s first president, essentially expressed last month. The companyannounced in a blog post today that it is working with experts and investing in research to better understand the impact social media has on us.

For Palihapitiya’s part, Thursday night’s statement wasn’t a total reversal of his original claims, but seemingly an apologetic gesture toward Facebook (or perhaps friends still working at the company). Yes, social media has the capacity to utterly destroy us, but can’t you see that Facebook is trying to be better?

It was just last month that he told students at the Stanford forum that “we are in a really bad state of affairs right now, in my opinion. [Social media] is eroding the core foundation of how people behave by and between each other. And I don’t have a good solution. My solution is I just don’t use these tools anymore. I haven’t for years.”

You can read Palihapitiya’s Facebook statement, posted last night, in full here.

I've seen black men carry themselves like *****es on social media...on some "dear diary" attention seeking drama crap.
Or maybe they were just always little *****es???

I've seen older black women carry themselves like ratchet vermin on social media.
Or maybe they were just always ratchet vermin?

I've seen white co workers vent bigoted hatred rhetoric on social media.
Or maybe they were always closet racists?
Exactly.

This comes from a guy that does not have Facebook and has been off of it for nearly 10 years now. FB is not the problem.

Your online habits are a reflection of you as a person not the cause of our sins.

I have the samsung galaxy S8 and can you believe samsung made it impossible to uninstall the facebook app which I don't use :smh:

Yes Social Media is destroying society. If you are the ages of 7-40 years. Literally everything you do, is considered something to post on some social media format/medium. Eat, sleep, drink, sex. All posted and letting millions of others (potentially) now what you are doing. It has destroyed us. Definitely agreed.

watched until the 15 minute mark of the video, posting so i can watch the rest later

Always love people being in denail about NT being a social medium.

Not sure how it isn't.

But that would take a level of reflection some of us aren't to deal with.

NT is social media as much as fB and IG is.

Always love people being in denail about NT being a social medium.

Not sure how it isn't.

But that would take a level of reflection some of us aren't to deal with.

NT is social media as much as fB and IG is.

Of course this is social media...any place online where you exchange ideas with other humans in a form of text communication even forum/message board style. We discuss the same issues as anything you would see on FB Twitter and Instagram. Same environment for narcissism and validation as anywhere else..we have shoe, jewelry,car,cologne,job,credit,dating threads.

Users mindlessly thumb through NT on thier mobile phone as any other social media.
Social media has been around since yahoo/aol chat rooms this isn’t anything new. Its just shifted from enthusiast based chat rooms and messageboards to opening the gates of every other walk of life on broader platforms.

So yes social media is just that a an online snapshot of what society currently is.
Facebook just happens to take the throne of epitome because of its broad architecture.
0422D33A-67BE-4571-B550-22C13DA16B41.jpeg
AE6201EC-8D11-4A55-8C08-1A9CC11B126F.jpeg

I'm sure people thought television sets would ruin society and make people it zombies. 70 years later and the worst we got is people fighting on Black Friday.

I'm sure people thought television sets would ruin society and make people it zombies. 70 years later and the worst we got is people fighting on Black Friday.

It's more a combination of mobile devices + social media in my opinion.

Back then you could only be a zombie in your living room. Now you can be a zombie anywhere, 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom