Is there anything more annoying than cashiers making small talk to you about your purchases?

Rhetorical question, no there is not.

cashier.jpg

"Oh, I've never seen these before, are they good? I have to try them."

"Vegetables, huh? Eating healthy are we?"

"Oh wow I didn't know we sold these, you gotta come back and tell me how they are."

And no, I don't want to sign up for a new credit card and incur potentially up to 1000's in new debt, to save 10% on my purchase.

I'm sorry, we'll all just shut up and not make eye contact. Maybe if people were more social, cashiers wouldn't have to make small talk about nothing.

Y'all soundin mad lame, been on NT too long.

I'm sorry, we'll all just shut up and not make eye contact. Maybe if people were more social, cashiers wouldn't have to make small talk about nothing.

yea this guy

Thank you, can you please put that out at the next meeting? Also please push the debit key so I can put my pin number in and be out.

Last edited:
Thank you, can you please put that out at the next meeting? Also please push the debit key so I can put my pin number in and be out.
You have 30,000 posts on an internet forum, its not like you have somewhere important to be
laugh.gif

I'm FAR from talkative, but I have no problem engaging cashiers; look at it from their perspective and you'll see they're trying to get rid of monotony.

The few times that I ring at my job, it's ******g customers trying to tell you their lifestory when I'm trying to get this line down so I can go back to doing nothing. I don't need details about your life that I'll forget 30 secs later. So I do agree with you OP

I mostly don't have a problem with it, as it is part of customer service. But if the small talk elevates to the point where it gets quite dull, and I have customers and other tasks in my department to take care of, I would close the convo by saying, Thank you, good luck, etc, and appreciate the customer for coming.

I would glady **** and just do cashier work but my supervisor is there and I have to be friendly. You think I genuinely care about your day? I always ask the customer how they're doing and they always just reply "fine" "good" "not bad" and thats it. I work at walgreens and the policy is that you'll come for the convenience but what keeps you returning is the service and hospitality... so dont think cashiers are annoying. They're just doing their job.

When I worked at GAP, we were required to offer them a credit card. We even had a contest to see which team would open up the most credit card memberships; I think I was on team Griffindor (sp?). Needless to say, I quit like 2 weeks into the job.

As a customer, no, I don't mind if it's a cute chick ringing me up. Got a couple of numbers like that. Usually they just ask you about your day and so on.

Once I was buying ultra-thin condoms, KY jelly and some fake plastic handcuffs while some old lady was ringing me up.

#datawkwardsilence

laugh.gif

Last edited:
I usually don't mind, shopping can be frustrating, and it's nice to meet a friendly person at the front of the line. I'd much rather that than the cashiers who act like they are doing the customer a favor by ringing them up. Good customer service is :smokin

doesn't matter to me, if they wan't to be friendly i'll talk back. if i gotta go though i have no problem telling them i gotta go.

When I'm out in public buying something usually I just want to get in and get out as quickly as possible, but i have no problem with it.

On the other hand...I do find it a little annoying when I'm going to 24 Hour Fitness and the guy behind the counter tries to make small talk when I just want to type in my phone number and get moving.

Last edited:
:lol: really? some of you dudes complaining about a cashier asking you how your day is? is this what it's come to?

of all the things to ***** about, this is what your thread is about.

they ain't askin you about your life story b, just say fine - okay - good... whatever the sentence pertains and keep it moving. :smh:

they're usually just doing their job. most of them couldn't care less about you. it helps their day go by easier too :rolleyes

for real though, you think some dude/girl that's been working a 10 hour shift really cares about your day? :lol:
they've dealt with ******** all day that she HAS to greet and be nice to even if they're complete *****.. just for you to go home and make a thread about 'em askin' you a few things :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: really? some of you dudes complaining about a cashier asking you how your day is? is this what it's come to?
of all the things to ***** about, this is what your thread is about.
they ain't askin you about your life story b, just say fine - okay - good... whatever the sentence pertains and keep it moving. :smh:
But the topic is about when they are asking you about your life story and thus holding the transaction up, b. When they are reading labels, yelling across to other cashiers ""Sharon Look!! When we start selling these? What aisle did you get these from," on every thing they ring up, shun and yes that is an annoyance because obviously it slows me down and furthermore makes themselves less efficient, but I digress. My NT approval rating is at an all time low.

Yes there is something more annoying than that, it's called Mormons ringing your bell at 9 AM on a Saturday/Sunday.

As far as the cashier thing goes, I don't mind.

I work at best buy. The guys up at the cash register are required to create small talk. I've seen one of my co workers get mystery shopped, didnt create small talk and got written up 
mean.gif

Get over it, it's their job.

Back
Top Bottom