Is there anything more annoying than cashiers making small talk to you about your purchases?

How is this annoying? Actually kind of pleasant to me. It shows that the cashier isn't just there for a paycheck, and that he actually cares about providing good, quality service.

I actually wish Cashiers would do this more.

I'd prefer that then they say nothing at all. I would say that is probably my biggest pet peeve.

Last edited:
Had cashiers say a couple things to me, had some just say "how are you" and others say nothing at all.

I think people whom have worked retail before can relate, it's a job their required to do or they get punished.

I don't mind either way, I know first hand customers can be jackace's

I'm a cashier at Victoria's Secret and some small talk is required as long as it doesn't hold up the transaction. I do enjoy it because as mentioned, it breaks the monotony. Just think, cashiers spend anywhere from 4 hours to whole days just taking money, removing sensors, and packing bags, and it's quite unprofessional to have ongoing conversations with coworkers while ringing.

Interaction is human, get over yourself.

This dude :lol: :lol: then if a cashier sits there in silence and doesn't say anything they find it "rude / awkward" just shop online that way you won't have to deal with people.

And I thought I was harsh
laugh.gif

They're just trying to have a conversation. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm a cashier at Victoria's Secret and some small talk is required as long as it doesn't hold up the transaction. I do enjoy it because as mentioned, it breaks the monotony. Just think, cashiers spend anywhere from 4 hours to whole days just taking money, removing sensors, and packing bags, and it's quite unprofessional to have ongoing conversations with coworkers while ringing.

Interaction is human, get over yourself.

Lucky you're not a professional then...

:lol:

while i agree that its small, it annoys me if people i see regularly at fast food places flirt or say things like "you again?" or "your going to turn into a chicken nugget."

I just wanna flip like look lady, i get off work at midnight, your open 24 hours and work the late shift. once or twice IM GOING TO SEE YOU A WEEK.

The social awkwardness of NTers has reached an all time high.  Now we mad if cashiers make small talk?  Jesus. 
mean.gif
Some of yall should just never leave the house. 

I dont really mind the small talk unless it's holding me up or extra awkward. I worked retail at Staples before and I definitely did the "How are you" thing, not because I had to but because its just common decency to at least say something.

To answer your question though, yes, when your dentist is trying to make small talk and asking in-depth questions when he's cleaning your teeth. That is much more annoying, OP.

i find it annoying when their IS no small talk. it makes the whole interaction awkward at times and doesn't make for good customer service.
but are we really complaining about small polite human interactions?

pgujM.gif

I stay flirting with Cashiers anywhere I go. I appreciate the small talk. Best thing ever was walking down the block from y job and feel some chick hug me from behind. turns out it was shorty from Duane Reade that thought I was cute.Smashed the next day..

moral of the story, bring on the smaltalk. If I dont like, i'll just ignore it.

Human interaction is always appreciated....good conversation, whether a simple small talk exchange or thought provoking dialogue, is rare these days.

Those who find this annoying from cashiers have probably never worked retail....if you don't want to be bothered, use self checkout or shop online. At least try and relate to the cashier and more than likely they are probably just glad to exchange a few words with a live human being and make their day go by faster.

You would be surprised who you meet by small talk....I've met people this way who have changed my life.

Damn i'm guilty of this, yesterday actually.

I went to my sister's apartment and she asked me to go pick up a 2 Liter bottle of soda so I went to the grocery and I was on the checkout line and I saw this dude behind me with mad gingerale but it was antioxidant kind so I made room for his **** on the conveyor belt checkout thing and he said thanks

and then I said "damn they making antioxidant soda now"

dude hit me with the stone face

and then I said "I heard antioxidants are only for people with diseases"

:rofl:

I didn't look back at the dude but the cashier was hiding a laugh and I guess the dude was still stonefacing the **** outta me when I bounced.

Not really.. got a pizza delivered to my house a couple weeks ago and the driver stood there for like 10 minutes talking to me and stuff. Guess he was bored or something, didn't bother me really but i was as hungry as hell so i wanted him to bounce.

Human interaction is always appreciated....good conversation, whether a simple small talk exchange or thought provoking dialogue, is rare these days.
Those who find this annoying from cashiers have probably never worked retail....if you don't want to be bothered, use self checkout or shop online. At least try and relate to the cashier and more than likely they are probably just glad to exchange a few words with a live human being and make their day go by faster.
You would be surprised who you meet by small talk....I've met people this way who have changed my life.
truth

If Im clearly toasted and I am buying some junkfood Im perfectly ok with the checker making a comment :smokin

Before I was 21 buying beer pong accessories would always get mixed reactions/convos :lol:

Last edited:
Yes, there are many, many think more annoying than cashiers making small talk, you anti social mf'er.

Back
Top Bottom