Is this whole "college experience" thing overrated?

newyear

Banned
I went to visit my cousin at the University of Florida to see how he lived in a college town for a week. I was hoping to see some wild stuff, like naked girls running around, project x/I'm Shmacked type parties etc. The trip turned out slow and boring.

We went to a little party/get together to hang out with his friends and it was just your typical smoke,drink and play games with your friends type of party. Outside of that there wasn't anything else to do in the town of Gainesville. Maybe i had my expectations a bit too high?

I asked one of my cousin's friends about the whole college experience and he told that if you're not an athlete,frat boy or a sorority sister the parties aren't going to be that fun.

Is this whole movie college experience overrated or was i just there at the wrong time?

I think it depends on your college and your social group :nerd:

But it's never going to be like the movies man :lol:

My college experience was the broke college kid living and going to school in an already overthetop expensive city (dc). Just got tired of trying to keep up with very well off friends who sometimes didn't understand that I couldn't go or do something cuz I wanted to preserve funds.

Last edited:
You watch too much tv and movies OP, it's not gonna be a crazy party all the time. College is definitely over priced but I had a great time with lots of memories and for most people, including myself, it's where you make some of your closest friends

Ya'll crazy.

FAMU was just like the movies. Just replace all the white kids with black kids and all the EDM with ignorant Trap Music.

You ever think it's boring because this is Spring Break season and everyone's gone?

Or maybe your cousin's friends are just very boring. Ya'll coulda gotten into some kinda mischief or hijinks, or at the very least some shenanigans.

Last edited:
I never got why people associated partying with the "college experience" anyway. Anytime I heard that phrase I always thought about people who've never been on their own or had little to no independence back at home finally doing just that. Getting an apartment, signing a lease, getting a job, making friends, meeting people from different cultures, paying bills, etc. That's what I always interpreted as the "college experience" besides, unless you're majoring in biology, engineering, or things of that nature; (aka not liberal arts or fine and applied arts) college is just about networking. 

I never got why people associated partying with the "college experience" anyway. Anytime I heard that phrase I always thought about people who've never been on their own or had little to no independence back at home finally doing just that. Getting an apartment, signing a lease, getting a job, making friends, meeting people from different cultures, paying bills, etc. That's what I always interpreted as the "college experience" besides, unless you're majoring in biology, engineering, or things of that nature; (aka not liberal arts or fine and applied arts) college is just about networking. 

So you associate the "college experiene" with responsibility and becoming a reasonable adult?

Who looks back at their college years and wishes they could go back to the days when they were just figuring out how to budget their month out?

"I really miss the days when i would just work at TJ Maxx and go to class and make sure I had my stuff together....those were some crazy times."

How about you go to College and find out? Create your own experience and learn something. That's the point of college. Can't learn about college from tv and movies homeboy. I sincerely hope you're smarter than this. :smh:

I've been to some pretty big parties in my college time but it doesn't happen regularly. Honestly, most of the time they get overcrowded and cops shut them down.

you have to experience it for yourself, but a major part of college is about parties

it's also about getting to know people as well as finding out who you are through responsibilities like bills/hw etc. 

it really is a life changing experience 

edit: yes, house parties ALWAYS get shut down by cops, or by people pulling out guns 
mean.gif
 lol

Last edited:
My college experience has been long nights up studying, long days in the library , only a few weekends out a year, and just straight stress-filled. 

That's what I get for pursuing an engineering degree:smh: .

Project X type of parties steez? Must be nice.
Preach my brotha... Mech E :smh:

It's cliché but College really is what you make it.

Took me the 2nd go round to understand that

you have to experience it for yourself, but a major part of college is about parties
it's also about getting to know people as well as finding out who you are through responsibilities like bills/hw etc. 

edit: yes, house parties ALWAYS get shut down by cops, or by people pulling out guns 
mean.gif

lol

What kind of house parties you go to? :nerd: in tha trap? :lol:

mean.gif

lol

that's just that HBCU life.

mean.gif

lol

I figured :lol:

college experience was :pimp:

attending classes at a state college and partying at USC :lol: :pimp:

those were the days man :\

mean.gif

lol
What kind of house parties you go to?
nerd.gif
in tha trap?
laugh.gif
I figured
laugh.gif
eh, sometimes you go with the flow, and sometimes it's good. sometimes no.

parties can get crazy

Had a couple friends who went to VCU, never a dull weekend :pimp:

I guess since we threw our own parties, set up a party, crashed a party, etc..... Like dude said it's what you make it and we MADE it :pimp:

VCU is like yamb central, if you can't smash there you're doing A LOT wrong! :smh:

One weekend with a select group of people isn't representative of college. Gainesville, Tallahassee, other towns like that are strictly college towns, so you likely won't have a lot to do compared to an actual city.

Greek parties are on another level, but if you're expecting naked girls running around at a random dude's party 
laugh.gif
 then you're letting movies and TV influence you too much. With the right group, house parties, bars, clubs, tailgating, etc., can all provide a fun, party experience.

Depends on the school. At frostburg in western md we partied Thursday to Sunday. That's just how it was. I hit house parties. Frat parties. Basically anywhere where liquor was cheap. Smh at me looking back. But I did have fun and met some good friends. I regret nothing except if I could go back in time I wouldn't go to frostburg lol. Aside from partying its nothing to do.

I don't know homie. went to UGA a while back. Was just like the movies.

And if you have a good group of friends, you can throw some pretty memorable parties in your dorm room/off campus apartment.

Preach my brotha... Mech E
mean.gif
Pshh, you're telling me. Mech E/Nuc E for me.

I will never understand this whol college "experience" thing. I'm there for one main purpose. And that is to get a degree so I can get a job and make money. The parties and the women are just a bonus.

With that being said, "WE ARE...." 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom