Is Yao a Hall of Famer?

Originally Posted by de PHX Jose

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

yao serious? mcgrady has a better chance of getting at it.

what, dude? they both didn't win %#*$

This is NOT the national basketball association hall of fame for the 1008912308 time. This is the basketball hall of fame.

This is NOT the national basketball association hall of fame for the 1008912308 time. This is the basketball hall of fame.

exactly.

why the hell are so many people having a difficult time comprehending this?

people are dense on this board.

laugh.gif
@ the thought of this

Injuries will pretty much prevent him from becoming a Hall of Famer imo. I can 't really picture the dude playing well into his late 30's like Shaq.

He's just too big and tall for his own good I guess.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

exactly.

Yup, right after Gheorghe Muresan and Manute Bol are inducted...

Being inducted for being asian
tired.gif

exactly.

If there was a player in the Hall that never played in the NBA, but had a stellar career in another country in their league.... everyone would up rioting thathe shouldnt be in the Hall.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

If Yao gets in because of the "globalization," Dirk should get in without QUESTION, and people still question whether he should get in.

I say no.

Who the he.ll is questioning if Dirk should get in? Winning a regular season MVP = guaranteed HOFer...its a fact.

About this "globalizing the game" crap...Yao isn't some marginal NBA player from China. He's one of the league's best players. If he getsinto the HOF, it'll be due to his on-court accomplishments. Right now he hasn't done enough, if he has maybe 3-4 more good seasons he'll definitelyget in.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I hate to turn this into a Dirk Nowitzki defense thread, but Dirk has brought an impact greater than Yao, and Dirk isn't even a lock to a good majority of people.

Yao has brought 2 dudes to play in the NBA, three if you want to count Yuta Tabuse, those are the only asian dudes in the NBA... Yao, Yi, Sun, and Yuta. Granted Yuta ain't even got much burn, neither has Sun, but Yi is decent, and Yao was borderline franchise player (Tracy was the bigger star in their prime).

Dirk has paved the way for European dudes to get a chance. Tony Parker, finals MVP. Manu Ginobili. Luis Scola. Peja. Andrei Kirilenko. The Gasol brothers. All them dudes from Spain, you see at least 5-10 players from Europe getting drafted every year, staying overseas, and then when you see them come over here they make significant impacts on the game.

From an economic point of view, sure Yao helped the game a lot, but as far as truly GLOBALIZING? I don't believe that quite yet. I like Yao, and I think he would have ended up as a HOF player, but that's pulling a Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway IMO.
Actually, Vlade Divac > Dirk. Peja was drafted by the Kings before Dirk by the way. Not so sure about paving the way for Euro dudes consideringhow close these players are in terms of the years they were drafted.

To say Dirk has made a bigger impact than Yao in terms of spreading basketball around the world is not correct. Your argument suggests that it is because ofDirk that Euro players are being drafted and now are playing in the NBA. Even if that is correct, does that mean Yao's impact on the children in China thatare now fans of the NBA and play basketball is less significant?

I am not taking anything away from Dirk's career. He is argubably the best Euro to play in the NBA. He will make the HOF soon enough.

Globalization doesn't happen in a day or a year by the way. We need numbers as evidence if we want to talk about the economics of globalization. Safe tosay Yao will win.

Finally, MJ > anyone in terms of globalizing basketball around the world.

Originally Posted by Durden7

exactly.

If there was a player in the Hall that never played in the NBA, but had a stellar career in another country in their league.... everyone would up rioting that he shouldnt be in the Hall.

There are players in the hall that never played in the nba.

i find it funny Japainair always finds a way to bring Dirk in a HOF thread
laugh.gif

anyways since its not a NBA HOF yao is a lock to get in people

Dirk "paved the way" for European players?
laugh.gif
c'mon man.

how about guys like Drazen Petrovic, Detlef Schrempf, Arvydas Sabonis, Rik Smits, Sarunas Marciulionis, Toni Kukoc...

some of y'all trying to make Yao out to be Jackie Robinson or something...like he had to overcome all kinds of obstacles. be for real...

Yeah, Dirk didn't pave anything for anyone. There were many euro players who had nice careers who came before him. When I think about who paved the way foreuro players, it has to be Sabonis, Petrovic or maybe Detlef Schrempf....

For the last time...

For those saying their are players who are in the HOF who havent played a game in the NBA...that to me is a horrible argument, because Yao HAS played in theNBA that will be the MAIN criteria for which he gets in. A Hall of Famer is someone who has played at a top level in whatever league or aspect of basketballthey've played in, or has influenced the game as NEVER seen before. Yao took globalization to an entirely different level, but like many have said, Plentyof international superstars had been in the league, and Jordan/Dream team brought the game to the international stage long before Yao came in. As i'vestated before, Yao hasn't won anything, international or NBA. Because Yao has played in the NBA, THAT will be the main aspect in which he's judged. Sostop with the theirs people who've never played a game that are in the Hall...I'm sure those people were Legends/God-like figures in whatever aspectthey played or coached the game. But when an NBA Player is voted into the Hall, it has mostly to do with his NBA career...An plain an simple Yao's careerisnt up to par.

Back
Top Bottom