IT Jobs

Do you get drug tested ?

I am a web developer in the DMV and I've never been drug tested. The policy at my current place basically says no selling drugs on campus.

Not sure what government/government contract jobs are like though- I hear security clearance can be bad especially if you've ever been to a psych.

Working for the Government, well the D.O.D anyways but I'm sure it's the same all around, they do have to be verified. There is an online tracker system you have to scan and input them into, and there is an Information Assurance person who is the foreman of verifying them. I don't know how the private sector is, but trust the Government is all about red tape and things they think make it all more efficient. You aren't going to get very far lying about certs you don't really have

I just got hired as a contractor for the DoD in the DMV. Used to work for a University for two years. Ive been in IT about 7ears, though not consistently. Have no certs, nor do I list any bogus ones.. And I get hit up for interviews daily . Havent been drug-tested in about 5 years for any job.

The DoD background check seems to take awhile though, and I think there are two separate ones, b/c there is an access card that I have to get approved for, and had to sign a new set of documents for another Background Check.. even though im already hired.. Not sure though, and not sure what they check.

if you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for the A+ exam?
I got u

Download any VCE testing engine (they have free ones)

Go to www.examcollection.com and find the latest "220-701" and "220-702" test banks

Its a practice test but they use the actual questions from the official test banks.. and start doing those tests

when you notice that you're getting above a 700 (out of 1000) then you're good to go

You pay and schedule the test.. its 2 parts.. the 701 and the 702, if you pass em both they send you the Cert

(passing on the test is a 680 out of 900 - 100 questions)

I could get you something on Ft Sill working with the team I used to be on, sooner rather than later. Were you Commo? If you know radios too, it's a company in Houston starting kats out in the 120s. Northrup Grumman also gives out big checks to prior service and they're on most bases.
I got drug tested by the way to the poster above. It was kind of stupid how they administered it. I feel like if I wanted to cheat I could. They had a small bathroom and a bunch of nurses give you the cup then send you in there to pee and listen at the door. If I was dirty, I would just scoop up some toilet water and when they run it, it'll just look like I had really watery pee which is the case anyways since prior to gonig you knock out a couple gallons of water, lest you not be able to produce enough specimen and have to go back to the end of the line. Or you could just stop doing drugs for a month or however long it takes to flush it out your system.
You also will have to be able to obtain a secret clearance.

Thanks for looking out fam! PM me with more details. Right now, I'm currently awaiting a word on a couple of places back in CA (want to head back to the West Coast) but I'm open to anything. I am a 25B in the Army right now.

I got the Secret Clearance back in 2011...so I'm good on that front. Network and Security + were obtained in the last two years so I'm good on that. The only thing I want to make my resume stronger is CCNA and Windows 7. I've been looking at CISSP and got all of the skillports done. I want my terminal leave to start so bad! The thing is, I think most of the people that I've applied to are not coming as quick because I'm not officially "out" yet but I'm getting ever so close.

For those of you afraid of the military route, or got spare time, go that way. Not only will you get everything paid for by Uncle Sam, but you will start to build connections. That will go a long way...especially when it is time to go after these DoD and contractor jobs.

Computer Engineering major here

Started off with an internship in the IT/IS Dept at a bank as a freshman and everything's been smooth sailing.

Certs mos def open a lot of doors :pimp:

if you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for the A+ exam?
I got u

Go to www.examcollection.com and find the latest "220-701" and "220-702" test banks

Its a practice test but they use the actual questions from the official test banks.. and start doing those tests

when you notice that you're getting above a 700 (out of 1000) then you're good to go

You pay and schedule the test.. its 2 parts.. the 701 and the 702, if you pass em both they send you the Cert

you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.. 
pimp.gif

reps for life.

I got u

Cosign, that's how I did it. I thought the site was down, but AVG which I finally uninstalled was blocking tons of sites. Just make sure you read the comments before you download the .vce and if there are recent comments and people saying it was the right questions, study that one.

look at people that get car insurance with no license look how easy it is to get that and then people going to military bases and buying things with military discounts and their wearing towels on their head
smokin.gif
and in court i can wear a towel or a KUFI on my head and say its my religion
smokin.gif
:smokin:smokin:smokin
This dude slade is something else :lol:  I honestly wish I could get away with everything you claim to get away with. Props man :pimp:

www.examcollection.com has OD amounts of tests

including the Cisco tests and much more

:pimp: Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about taking the A+ cert test for a while now.

depends on what you're going for, A+ is a start if you want to service hardware.
if you want to go into software development, you just need to learn your languages (don't need MCSE or Cisco).

I switched into Comp Sci almost one year ago. My only previous experience with computers was with hardware. Programming (especially video games) was a mystery to me. One day, I found that Aerospace Engineering and I weren't meant to be, so I switched into CSC essentially at random. I've put in quite a bit of work, and I've learned so much in the past year that it amazes me to think I used to have no idea how to write a "hello world" program.

Over the past year, I've learned that if you want to be the least bit competent in creating software, you need to know quite a bit more than just the language. Algorithims/data structures and their uses. Design patterns and when (and if) they should be implemented. Familiarity with 3rd party libraries, language libraries (ie STL/boost in C++), testing suites, code profilers, different IDEs. You'll be expected to be at least familiar with software development practices, methodology, and source control. Even a degree won't give you half of what you need to know. Most of my free time is spent reading software development books or coding. What we learn in class is the bare minimum you need to learn.

Books upon books are written just about the software development process (check out "The Mythical Man-Month", "The Pragmatic Programmer", or "Code Complete" from your local library if you're interested). There are a bunch of things you're expected to know, and you'll be tested on if you're ever get an interview. Software programming is all about deadlines. You have to know your stuff, and know it well, or you're a liability to your team, and to your company.

For example, I'm interested in Game Engine Development. I just started learning about it in the beginning of the summer. Since then, I've accumulated and read a stack of books that's almost as tall as I am, just about C++ and game development. Books like Effective C++, Game Coding Complete, 3d Programming in DirectX11, and quite a few others. I'm still scratching the surface. I've even picked up 3d modeling and level design as well. I'm fortunate in that I love doing this. If you start, and then find you hate it, do something else. Do what you like.

Even as a programmer, you have to be familiar with the hardware systems. I was always interested in hardware (at a basic level). I built a few of my own gaming pcs in high school. Since taking my Operating Systems class, I've started to learn more than the basics. I'm extremely curious about embedded systems and code optimization, and that's what rekindled my interest in hardware. Will I ever need an A+ cert? Probably not. My philosophy over the past year has been "Why not learn ....?". If you're gonna learn something, learn it right the first time, and learn it well. If anyone wants some advice on how to start programming, send me a pm. I was in your shoes a year ago, and learning anything new is quite painful unless you know where to look/what resources to get.

/rant

Seriously a cert people really are sleeping on. Is Linux+.

Linux admins are in demand everywhere.

Problem is a lot of people don't like and don't get Linux.If you think CCNA and sub netting is hard try studying and passing this cert.

Last edited:
Cool thread.
I went the military route and got my Security Clearance, Network Plus and Security Plus. Also working on CCNA certification and CISSP. :pimp:
I have been applying to many of the USAJOBS and got about 3 interviews with more applications being put in every week. I am hoping to land something but any person who's in the DoD, hit me up. I've done everything right so far and I'm getting out this November.
Thanks fam! :pimp:
how long did you spend in the military and did they ship you out ?

dont go to school and waste your time getting certs just be like me and use your silver tongue and get paid handsomely , youll make almost as much as me twice a month its so easy and only work 30 minutes a day :smokin :tongue: :rofl:

dont go to school and waste your time getting certs just be like me and use your silver tongue and get paid handsomely , youll make almost as much as me twice a month its so easy and only work 30 minutes a day :smokin :tongue: :rofl:
$243,750 after taxes? **** I'd be down. Even if I only last a month before getting exposed, that's Hyundai money

Last edited:
That looks like a 1099 Independent Contractor rate where they just pay you more straight up without all the benefits/insurance/etc. Is that correct Slade?

I was tempted to work as a 1099 since I never go to doctors or use my insurance really.

how long did you spend in the military and did they ship you out ?

I signed up back in 2009. Had a contract for 3 years 38 weeks and I'm getting out this December. During that time, I've been to Korea, Kuwait and now stuck at Shaw AFB. Was happy I joined at the time...made a bunch of new friends/connections and had an opportunity to get all my certifications and got Network and Security Plus on the government's dime. It also helped that I got a security clearance too because that helps in getting those Government/contract jobs since most of those things get out of the way. The experience you get while you're in helps also as that is what a lot of companies are looking for. You can always learn more while working. Should be ready later this year to take my CCNA and my CISSP certifications.

This is great thread. The IT field is great once you get your foot in the door.

dont go to school and waste your time getting certs just be like me and use your silver tongue and get paid handsomely , youll make almost as much as me twice a month its so easy and only work 30 minutes a day
smokin.gif
tongue.gif
roll.gif
This just proves you have access to printable checks.

Back
Top Bottom