It Was 400 Years Ago, They Said

didnt jamaica start a case against GB not too long ago? 
nerd.gif

Man I think this racial gap will close as baby boomers die off... but I'm hoping that's the case at least. I grew up in a predominately black area and predominately black schools with a lot of ppl living in poverty/single family households and went to a private school/college with a lot of well off white folks. I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

Not gonna happen, I'm not sure you know how big the gap is.

I believe we are 200 years behind in terms of wealth.

I used to see numbers like that as a kid and think man that's a lot but as you age, you really start to understand the scope of it.

200 years, you can assume is around 8-10 generations. That's hundreds of ancestors per currently living person, just in that timeframe.

It's weird thinking how many of us here could be related through slavery and never ever know it.

On another note, in the conscious community I've been seeing people lately downplaying the estimates of how many Africans were stolen and brought here during middle passage. They state that many African descendants were already here and were enslaved along with the Native Americans, but that portion of history is suppressed to maintain the European descendants superiority based on the "we discovered this place" mythology.

Does anyone have any verifiable information on this or some reading?

they dont

its eye for an eye 

1 to 1

Personally, I don't think it's that simple. Other minority groups have also been indirectly impacted but to each their own.

The amount was already calculated by some other hardworking people.

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/29/the-cost-of-slavery-reparations-is-now-within-the-boundaries-of-the-politically-acceptable/?client=safari

The issues isn't solely money, but also opportunities missed and time lost. Time = money and since we can't all hop in a giant time machine, we should be compensated for the time spent making other people wealthy.

Btw, the UN, for whatever that's worth, recently urged the US to pay up. We have a case, now we need to follow through.

I appreciate the info. Repped.

Man I think this racial gap will close as baby boomers die off... but I'm hoping that's the case at least. I grew up in a predominately black area and predominately black schools with a lot of ppl living in poverty/single family households and went to a private school/college with a lot of well off white folks. I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

Not gonna happen, I'm not sure you know how big the gap is.

I believe we are 200 years behind in terms of wealth.

I used to see numbers like that as a kid and think man that's a lot but as you age, you really start to understand the scope of it.

200 years, you can assume is around 8-10 generations. That's hundreds of ancestors per currently living person, just in that timeframe.

It's weird thinking how many of us here could be related through slavery and never ever know it.

On another note, in the conscious community I've been seeing people lately downplaying the estimates of how many Africans were stolen and brought here during middle passage. They state that many African descendants were already here and were enslaved along with the Native Americans, but that portion of history is suppressed to maintain the European descendants superiority based on the "we discovered this place" mythology.

Does anyone have any verifiable information on this or some reading?

It's hard to say how many Africans were here prior to the arrival of the pale skins, Africans were globetrotters well before so it's plausible. From free to indentured servants, there were a decent amount. Now when the Trans-Atlantic slave trade started happening, there was another round coming but then you have to consider the length of trip and the conditions of the ride, many would die along the way. Those conscious folk might forget that North America wasn't the only place getting slaves from Africa, as the islands would be a stop on the way to America.

Once the Transatlantic Slave Trade was nixed, many owners started turning to breeding their prized men and women, both on the plantation and externally for money. Needless to say, still millions who were in bondage and forced to suffer.

To add to that more slaves went to South and Central America and the islands than came to North America, but let's please not derail the thread with the trolling of you know who.

To piggy back on dirtylicious dirtylicious 's post, here's something I posted in a non-NT thread just a few days ago...

Slavery "ended" in 1865 but Jim Crow, which saw a number of laws put on the books that effectively criminalized being black, lasted another 100 years after that. The Civil Rights act was signed in 1964, only 53 years ago and even after that, it took years to be put into practice nationwide. To put that into perspective, the average black person in the United States alive 53 years ago, i.e. parents and grandparents, were not allowed to set up their families for success in this country. There were outliers, but they were not the norm. Those aren't excuses, they are facts. The US government subsidized the white middle class during a time when black people could not establish their own successful ventures without interference from racists.

Repped.

Last edited:

AUGUST 30, 2013
[h1]Black incomes are up, but wealth isn’t[/h1]
BY DREW DESILVER12 COMMENTS

Since the 1960s, household-income growth for African-Americans has outpaced that of whites. Median adjusted household income for blacks is now 59.2% that of whites, up slightly from 55.3% in 1967 (though in dollar terms the gap has widened).

But those gains haven’t led to any narrowing of the wealth gap  between the races. In fact, after adjusting for inflation, the median net worth for black households in 2011 ($6,446) was lower than it was in 1984 ($7,150), while white households’ net worth was almost 11% higher. And as NYU researcher David Low noted in a recent working paper, high-earning married black households have, on average, less wealth than low-earning married white households.

Exactly why income gains haven’t translated into wealth gains for blacks is something of a puzzle. Researchers have identified several possible factors — less intergenerational inheritance, higher unemployment and lower incomes, differing rates and patterns of homeownership, marriage and college education — without reaching any consensus on their relative importance. As Low commented, “[t]here is…little quantitative understanding of why the black-white wealth gap exists, despite an almost embarrassing number of potential explanations.”

We decided to examine the differing compositions of black and white household wealth with data from the Federal Reserve’s triennial Survey of Consumer Finances. We looked at average asset ownership and debt levels, rather than medians, so we could see how much each component contributed to total net worth. (Bear in mind that averages are skewed by households at the top of the wealth distribution, and that the average for any given asset class includes households who don’t own those particular assets. Accordingly, these data say more about blacks and whites as groups than about the “typical” African-American or white household.)

Value of primary residence was the single biggest asset for both groups, but much more so for black households: On average, housing wealth accounted for 49% of black household assets, compared with 28% for the average white household. But the average home value was far lower for black households: $75,040 versus $217,150.

2013 Brandeis University report  noted that not only is home ownership lower among blacks than whites, but that black-owned homes tend not to appreciate in value as much as white-owned homes, which the Brandeis researchers attributed to “residential segregation artificially lower[ing] demand, placing a forced ceiling on home equity for African-Americans who own homes in non-white neighborhoods.” Blacks also tend to carry proportionately more mortgage debt, at higher rates, than whites. And, as a 2011 Pew Research Center report  found, the housing crash was harder on blacks than whites (though both groups fared better than Hispanics).

Beyond housing, one striking difference between black and white household assets was the role of business ownership. Equity in businesses was the second-biggest asset class among white households, accounting for 18% of average assets, and grew 106% in value between 1983 and 2010. Among black households, however, business equity accounted for less than 4% of assets on average, and actually lost value between 1983 and 2010. After primary residence, the single biggest asset type for black households was “other residential property,” accounting for about 12% of average assets; but that asset class only grew 37% in value between 1983 and 2010.

Retirement accounts were the third-biggest asset class, on average, for both black and white households, and rose in value over the past three decades at similar rates. But black households, on average, started out with far less in their accounts: $1,496 in 1983, compared with $9,483 for white households.

The Brandeis researchers argue that, due to discriminatory employment patterns, “black workers predominate in fields that are least likely to have employer-based retirement plans and other benefits, such as administration and support and food services. As a result, wealth in black families tends to be close to what is needed to cover emergency savings while wealth in white families is well beyond the emergency threshold and can be saved or invested more readily.”

Average household debt rose steadily among both whites and blacks from 1983 to 2007. But while white households’ debt continued to rise between 2007 and 2010, to an average $113,598, it fell among black households over the same period, to an average $53,199 — mainly because of a decline in home mortgage debt. Overall, though, blacks continue to carry more debt relative to their household assets than do whites: 34.5% of average assets, versus 14.5% for white households.

Last edited:
Can't have wealth if we're stuck as consumers. Can't start businesses with no money or assets. Can't get loans for homes or businesses due to discrimination. And on and on...

Asset to debt ratio info is pretty interesting. Like Brolic said above me it's all linked and the effect is compounding, especially after many years.

Reparations just has so many questions behind it that I don't ever think a solid plan will arise. Then, you'd have to get people to agree with all the small details of the plan and it's just a logistical nightmare. The costs would be astronomical like the article said. Implementation would be nearly impossible.

I hardly know my own family's history and I'm white. Great grandparents were the first generation immigrants here. Came from Eastern Europe, settled in NY/PA and that's all I know. With the separation of families that occurred when slaves were brought over...you can't pinpoint anything. Huge mess. Haven't heard a good solution yet.

An eye for an eye is the most unrealistic and flat out laughable solution. Unless you wanna expand on that, seems like an exercise in futility. But hey you are entitled to your opinion. If you've actually put some thought into that idea, I'd like to hear more about it.

Last edited:
I had no earthly idea Germans were paying reperations to holcaust survivors

the Jews gettin theirs but black folk havent even gotten folks to take the conversation seriously smdh

Native Americans getting mased and hosed for their troubles :smh:

MAGA!

Asset to debt ratio info is pretty interesting. Like Brolic said above me it's all linked and the effect is compounding, especially after many years.

Reparations just has so many questions behind it that I don't ever think a solid plan will arise. Then, you'd have to get people to agree with all the small details of the plan and it's just a logistical nightmare. The costs would be astronomical like the article said. Implementation would be nearly impossible.

I hardly know my own family's history and I'm white. Great grandparents were the first generation immigrants here. Came from Eastern Europe, settled in NY/PA and that's all I know. With the separation of families that occurred when slaves were brought over...you can't pinpoint anything. Huge mess. Haven't heard a good solution yet.

An eye for an eye is the most unrealistic and flat out laughable solution. Unless you wanna expand on that, seems like an exercise in futility. But hey you are entitled to your opinion. If you've actually put some thought into that idea, I'd like to hear more about it.
ask the Germans how to do it, they have an existing plan

Reparations in theory are not going to be an easy delivery.

But the only question we must ask, is are they justifiable? My answer is a resounding yes. 

Everything after that is secondary, from the implementation, to identifying the receivers. 

The best theory I have heard is tax break implementation, obviously for a certain period, and to a certain extent. But going say 5-10 years without paying federal income tax would be one way. Also, favorable loan rates for individuals who suffered from redlining for decades......

Last edited:
People act like it's undoable, but...

The US has done it before.

And before Johnnie Cochran died, he was working on it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20001104/aponline231414_000.htm

oh people understand that it can be done but its a pipe dream without leverage

i said the same thing on page 2 but the NH Steezy back and forth took over the thread

reparations for our people was first proposed in 1867, a lack of leverage has stagnated any tangible results

is that not putting the cart before the horse?

America is not our "home" country. When the constitution was originally written it was written for a certain group, then amended to include everyone else unless you commit one of the many crimes and then it's back to slavery you go.

If that's "home" why are there different rules for us that are unspoken, but understood? Hell, my ten year old daughter knows there are different rules and that's not because I'm at my house playing Malcolm X speeches all day, it's because even a child can see it.

We were stolen from our homes, forced to work under the threat of violence, cut off from our history and culture and then turned lose with no aim. Home is a place where you have a sense of ownership and comfort... a place where you can escape and be protected. Is the US any of that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom