Iverson - " I'll Retire before i do this again.."....... on his role on Piston.

Iverson: "I'll retire before I do this again."

Apr 2, 2009
Posted by Rob Peterson[table][tr][td]
ai_250_20090401.jpg

Does Allen Iverson have seven games left in his NBA career?
Layne Murdoch/Getty Images/NBAE[/td] [/tr][/table]
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- General Douglas MacArthur said "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."

MacArthur also said, "I shall return."

On Wednesday, after a dispiriting 111-98 loss to the Nets in which he played only 17 minutes and 20 seconds and scored four points, Allen Iverson saidwon't do the latter if he feels his skills, his health and his playing time are doing the former.

Iverson, a free agent after this season and one of the NBA's grittier warriors now in his 13th season, said he'd be willing to hang 'em up if hecouldn't find the right situation for 2009-10.

"I won't do this again, in my career," Iverson said of his role as a role player with the Pistons. "I'll retire before I do thisagain. I would leave the game before I do this. I can't be effective like I know I can playing this way.

"It's just that I'm not used to it. Just not something I've had to do. Like I said, it's hard for me mentally and physically."

Iverson, who came to the Pistons in a Nov. 3 trade for Chauncey Billups, missed 16 games because of a back injury, has also been limited by a injury to hisright shin, which he injured in his first scrimmage after returning from his back injury. The physical maladies are weighing on Iverson.

"I'm a competitor. I love to play," Iverson said. "There's nothing more that I like to do than play basketball. I love to play. Idon't think I'm any good at playing basketball if I'm not happy. I don't think too many people would be.

"I'd rather be playing basketball and be happy at the same time. Basketball has always made me happy, it's always been a safe haven for me.It's always made me happy."

He did say he would be satisfied with his career -- as is -- if he did choose to retire.

"I'm with happy with my career and the things I've done in my career," Iverson said. "I'm blessed, I feel blessed to accomplishthe things I have accomplished in my career and do the things I've done. I would feel fine if I had to [retire]."

But he wouldn't like it if he felt he had to make that choice.

"It's not something I want to do," Iverson said, "because I love playing the game so much and I want to be out there on the basketballcourt, if that's something I need to do, then so be it.

"At this point in my career, I just want to be somewhere where I can be happy. That's the most important thing to me. I don't want to not wantto go to work. When you're doing what you love to do, you're supposed to love doing it.

"And once I get to that point when I don't love it anymore, I won't do it."

On Wednesday, it sounded as if he were close.

"No, I'm not happy at all. I would be lying if I said I was," Iverson said. "But I'm trying to do everything I can to be happy otherthan basketball. This is just one phase of my life not my whole life.

"Basketball is not my whole life. I have other part of my life, other people in my life that I'm surrounded with that make me happy. This is just astepping stone in my life."

About halfway through the fourth quarter of the game, a friend IMed me about Iverson.

"Have you even noticed AI playing tonight?"

Noticed, yes ... especially when a former NBA MVP and nine-time All-Star gets a little more than a quarter-hour of playing time, his lowest total of theseason.

But, what he meant was "impact." A.I. once was a guy teams planned for, schemed for, accounted for at all times. He could change the course of agame as quickly as he could crossover helpless defenders.

But at 33-years-old and with 33,000 falls, bumps and bruises on his slight frame since he entered the NBA in 1996, A.I. is not that guy any longer,especially if he's not on the floor.

And with his contract expiring at the end of this season, Iverson's value to his current team and any potential future team has never been lower.

Maybe that's why after the game, Iverson sat on his chair in the visiting locker room at Izod Center with a faraway look in his eyes, looking at nothingin particular.

Or maybe he was just seeing his basketball life flash before his eyes.

MORE A.I.

After the game, Iverson answered questions in two parts. Most the Iverson quotes from the post above came before a smaller group of reporters in thesecond half of questioning. Iverson answered the questions below in the first, larger media scrum.

Reporter: Can you see a way to get this thing going?

Iverson: Do I see a way? My way probably don't matter.

Reporter: Do you get the sense that time's running out. There are only seven games left and the other teams are playing well?

Iverson: I definitely think that way. It seems as if we're not getting any better. And teams are elevating their games at the righttime.

Reporter: How surprised are you that this team after you came here is .500 and is fighting for a playoff berth?

Iverson: Definitely surprised.

Reporter: What do you think has caused this to happen?

Iverson: I'm not getting into that. I can't win that battle.

Reporter: Have all the changes in this team made it difficult to establish the continuity you need to be a really good team...

Iverson: No, we've had a lot of time to bring things together. We had a lot of time, that's nowhere near any kind of excuse we canuse."

Reporter: How much is the calf limiting you and how much you can do out on the court?

Iverson: It's my shin. I don't make excuses like that. If I'm out on the basketball court and playing, then that's enoughfor me. It's just tough. I'm in a predicament, a position that I've never been in in my entire life, especially in the NBA. It's hard. It'sbeen harder for me, physically and mentally. When you have a back injury like I had, and sit out the whole first quarter and play a little bit in the second.You sit out for the last three to five minutes of the second quarter and then the whole halftime and another quarter after that. It's just tough to getgoing. I said the other day, I take my hat off to guys who come off the bench to get it done the way they do. It's just tough for me. I'm strugglingwith physically and mentally.

Reporter: You made a comment the other day about how this is a temporary situation. What did you mean by that?

Iverson: I won't do this again, in my career. I'll retire before I do this again. I would leave the game before I do this. Ican't be effective like I know I can playing this way. It's just that I'm not used to it. Just not something I've had to do. Like I said,it's hard for me mentally and physically.

Reporter: So, on a positive note, what can you say about guys coming off the bench?

Iverson: Like I said. I take my hat off to the guys that can do it. And some guys get used to it. They've done it before. Like I said,I've been playing basketball since I was eight-years-old, and I never had to do it. At 33-years-old, to have to adjust to something like that it's kindof tough. That's something I'm dealing with as far as my rhythm, my timing and like I said, the mental part of that.

Reporter: Would it be 100 percent physically? You don't want to make any excuses, but that's limiting you?

Iverson: I'm not going to make any excuse as far as my health. If I can go out there and get on a basketball court, I should be able toget it done. And I'm not, that's nobody's fault but mine. I point the responsibility at me. The situation I'm put in and I have to overcome theadversity of doing what I have to do. I'm a professional. And I have to find a way to get it done, somehow, someway. Whatever it takes. Anybody that knowsme, my teammates, my fans, the people that watch me play, know that I'm not 100 percent. It makes it a little bit harder to do it.

Reporter: Your shin, when did you hurt it?

Iverson: The first day I came back, the first day I scrimmaged. Arnie [Kander, the Pistons strength and conditioning coach] was saying itwas because not playing that long and putting that much pressure on it. The next day, it seemed as if everything was hurting except my back. It's just notplaying for a while."

Guillermo does not approve of this message.
tired.gif

I thought IVO's waves game would've been on point by now..

But I been a HUGE Spurs hater for years, but I'd love to see him go there.. I don't even really like them.

And Ivo is a scorer dude needs to go on a team that'll let him do that... GO BACK TO PHILLY!

Good. dont stick around playin 10 mins a game chasing a ring.

Its not worth it.

does anyone even acknowledge the fact that Glove got a ring. exactly.

If AI cant go to a place where he can play major minutes and compete I think he should retire.

"Knowing when to Hang it up" APPRECIATION!

Newport news done birthed some grimey dudes, dont nobody brush their hair anymore
laugh.gif

and with all the things he has goin on right now, he probably aint focusing on hair upkeep anymore

Well guess he'll be retiring after this year, cause no contender is going to have him in a dominant role. Only team I could see putting up with him isDallas.

^ i HATE Dallas, always have. when i was younger i had forgotten that they were even in the league. i would hate to have to root for Dallas.

This guy practically writes my posts for me.
laugh.gif

AI showin his true colors. He ain't about winnin, he about AI and only AI.

Originally Posted by CP1708

As much as people deny it, your 100% correct

^ i use to try to believe that he wasnt like that anymore. but i see he still is.

if he feels he needs to retire then so be it, but i felt liike @ this point in this career that he can take the damage a lil more quietly and try to adjust.but obviously its hard, it would be hard for anybody. but i feel like this plus the injuries made it too hard for him to try.

i felt the same way when i worked at food lion. hated hating goin to work everyday, i complained in my room every day before and after work.
smh.gif
bad feeling. iwonder how he's gettin along with the guys on a personal level in Detroit.

Originally Posted by CP1708

This guy practically writes my posts for me.
laugh.gif

Yep. Don't know how his staunch defenders can defend this. Other stars have sacrificed for the betterment of their teams, AI doesn't wantto do that or even try. He needs to be on a team with only scrubs so he can play 40 min and jack up 30 shots like he did in Philly. I'm almost sure he saidwhen he came to the Pistons that he would do "whatever is necessary" to help the team, guess he lied.

It's been THREE games.

Good grief.

And LOL at the media falling again for this "i think this may be it for me" routine.

I actually hope he stick around to see if he can get his career FG% under 42%

lets be real...he dont stick defense...so if he cant be productive offensively...how good is he really to any team? exactly....his speed is gone...he isbreaking down..its time to retire..and this is coming from a fan whose watched him play since his freshman yr at g'town..

Thing is it seems like majority of players on DET doesn't like him.

How can you mesh when people don't want to deal with you

I mean, I think a lot of this has more to do with the team losing and being far-below where people may have expected. If the team were doing well, and Iversonwas coming off the bench (to being with) and had never been scape-goated in the first-place, he wouldn't be complaining now. I don't know what Joe Dexpected bringing him in...

eyes.gif
He is only a good player on bad teams, because he needs the ball in hishands 90% of the time...what kind of player is that.

doesn't surprise me at all.....
smh.gif
at the same time he has done everything else in his career besides win a chip and even that wouldn't validate him ormeans that much to him since he won't "do this again" just call it a career I guess...

there aint nothing to defend..

he either wants to play or retire..
going to practices can't be fun when you know your getting older & still can ball, but you won't play..

he cares about a ring, but i bet dude is a realist he realizes unless he chases a ring (Celtics, Cavs, Lakers) he won't win one..
so why not have fun doing what you love doing & if you win its whatever.. if not then who cares he tried back in 01'

imma say this..you kno..the common sense statement..then leave it alone...put any all star/mvp in AI's positon and he would be complaining too...there isno question to that

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

I don't know what Joe D expected bringing him in...
cap space for 2010. and he got it.

it's going to be weird to see what happens with AI in the offseason. I don't see any contender try to sign him. Only kind of team trying to sign himwould be a low/mid level team trying to draw people in with AI and sell jerseys.

I can't imagine Iverson retiring. Not because of this situation, but because i'll officially be one of the "older" guys when a player I was afan of since his rookie year will retire. Imagine Iverson, Garnett, Kobe, Duncan, and Kidd retiring...it's a lot more than basketball, really.

Back
Top Bottom