Iverson to the Pistons

A potential blockbuster is in the works in the NBA as the Detroit Pistons are reportedly close to acquiring guard Allen Iverson from the Denver Nuggets in exchange for guard Chauncey Billups, forward Antonio McDyess and centre Cheikh Samb..

ESPN is reporting that the deal is in the final stages that would send the nine-time All-Star to Detroit.

Iverson is in the final year of a contract that pays him $21.9 million this season while Billups is signed through 2011 and is currently earning $11 million. McDyess is making $6.9 million this season and has one more year remaining on his contract. Samb is on a one-year contract and is earning just under $800,000 this season.

Iverson is averaging 18.7 points through three games this season, nearly 10 points below his career average.

Billups, who was born in Denver and played his college ball with the Colorado Buffaloes, is reportedly interested in continuing his career in his home state.
The two teams meet each other for the first time on January 9th in Denver.

Wowwwww

I am jumping on the

Bandwagon%20Final.jpg

right now... AI been my favorite player for the longest time but seein him in Denver was just strange... well see if this is a good look. Glad im not a bigfan of any NBA teams so i can root for my dude Allen.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

You really believe that?
Doesn't change the fact they can't defend ANYONE, and I'm not sold on J.R. Smith stepping in and consistently filling a huge void in points production...

I'm not sold on J.R. either. Denver is rolling the dice and basically telling J.R. "We have faith in you. We expect you to live up to yourbilling". Maybe he will take advantage. He's half ******ed, but the boy got talent.

But this is an instant upgrade defensively for the Nuggets.

Chauncey may not be what he once was, but he is an definite upgrade at the PG position. And he's going back home to Denver.

Basically, like I said before. This trade (on the Nuggs behalf) hinges on the development of J.R. Smith and whether he takes advantage of whats in front ofhim, or not.

I like this deal for both teams...think the nuggets come out better on this deal though...

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

This still doesn't make Denver a playoff team... And they've gotta pick up that hefty contract Dumars just gave Chauncey...

For a team that's been strapped for cash and this not being a move that puts them into any type of serious discussion out West, I don't get it...

So in your opinion is this a lateral movement or a step back??
I guess it depends on what you think about J.R. Smith and if he's capable of stepping in and filling that void...

I'm not sold. I don't think he's capable of doing it night in and night out... I don't see Chauncey out there locking guys down like he usedto. I didn't see "Mr. Big Shot" in the playoffs last year... I dunno. I just don't understand the thinking behind it...

You weren't willing to hang on to your best defensive player because of monetary concerns, but you'll trade a massive expiring contract for a guy thatjust got a hefty extension and isn't getting any better?

Like I said, I like it some from an addition by subtraction standpoint, because this makes Carmelo the guy again...It's his team now, and he knows that...

I don't know that I see it as a substantial step forward, but I dunno that I'd call it a step back yet, either... So I'll go with lateral?
laugh.gif
There's just parts of it that I don't understand.

i aint see too many people rockin the nuggets jersey, cuz most dudes dont rock baby blue shirts, but i know damn well people will hop on the Pistonsred/white/blue quick.

like i said in a previous thread, he needed to be on a team with red in their jersey.

Nuggets def getting the better of this deal

AI is a great player but basketball isn't tennis so you can see why he has 0 championships

c bills going back to his home team, thats a good move for the nuggets. As much as I like A.I i don't think he improves a TEAM.

Originally Posted by areyouin729

AI is a great player but basketball isn't tennis so you can see why he has 0 championships
Do you even watch basketball?

tired.gif
i never thought i'd see dude in anything other than aSixers jersey and now he's traded twice in the span of a couple of years

Shocked. But both teams win player wise on the deal. Contracts are a different story but player wise win win.

Billiups gives denver a point guard who has worked with Melo before. (USA qualifying team) dyess can still play but I still think they need a true center now.Now you have K-mart, Nene, and Dyess, all legitimate power forwards. so now it is time for a center besides steven hunter.

Iverson is what detroit needed under michael curry. It is the change that Dumars promised and brings detroit to that 2 or 3 position in the east as a lock. NowI do think he will play the point in this offense with RIP ballhandling.

I can not see them taking stucky off the bench right now and go that small even with Prince's wingspan at 6'9.

Im in Denver and a huge AI fan however this will make us better.

Too bad we couldnt get somebody else in place of McBum though..

damn.

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

ai will FRY the cavs ... cavs will be 4th at best in the east
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Whatever you say frontrunner.

Not enough shots to go around in DET between Wallace, Rip and A.I.

Dumars has always been an overrated GM

Fine by me
happy.gif

edit: Also, remeber that the Cavs have a 15 million dollar expiring contract with Wally Szczerbiak. So they will be making a big move before the deadline.
smokin.gif

At this point you have to think that George Karl doesnt give a %%@* about defending anyone. While they certainly have the size to defend, you have to thinkthat the move to acquire Billups is to give them more stability in the backcourt, not necessarily defense.

EzFlash, I see what you're saying but AI logs major minutes, as dre posted, so you have to wonder how happy he'll be in getting some of those minutestaken away, considering its his finaly year in his contract as well.

i'm just speaking the truth

this isnt NBA Live, AI will NOT make the Pistons a better team

he is one of the greatest players of our generation but he never conformed to the idea of a team

one season it worked and it was more b/c of Larry Brown

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

While they certainly have the size to defend, you have to think that the move to acquire Billups is to give them more stability in the backcourt, not necessarily defense.

Its to have a true PG to facilitate the offense. With AI we was on some rec ball ruckus. Billups should provide what Melo and JR Smith need desperately.

No Anthony Carter .

Back
Top Bottom