Iverson to the Pistons

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Lost in all of this is the fact that the Pistons have AI's HUGE contract coming off the books...they will have a ton of cap-space in the near future to make a run at....Lebron (or another big name in the big FA class coming up year after next)?
+ Sheed's $13 mil. That's over $30 mil in cap room after this season. I don't see this as a bad deal for either team.

eek.gif

Lost in all of this is the fact that the Pistons have AI's HUGE contract coming off the books...they will have a ton of cap-space in the near future to make a run at....Lebron (or another big name in the big FA class coming up year after next)?
No, Lebron or any free agent will not come to detroit. Detroit will have a lot of cap space this summer but not really anyone worth signing butmoves will be made and i dont think they will be very good ones. I think this will be our last season conteding for a championship. We will most likely loseSheed, maybe Iverson if we dont sign him and Rip can opt out and if this team isnt looking good he just might. We also need to give Tayshaun a deal.

I was thinking the samething in the train this morning on my way to school. This deal works out WAY better for the Pistons.

Stuckey is going to wear #3. I thought you couldn't change your number midseason, if you aren't traded. Kinda like the Ron Artest rule...

As for the trade, It's a great salary cap move for Detroit, but Stuckey is gonna get less minutes this year unless they hold AI under his usual 40 pergame. Second, if this does work out for the Pistons and they do go to the Finals or even win the title, what do you do with AI?

For Denver, they got their PG but at such an excessive cost. You cut salary by trading Camby and then afterwards you take on more salary by trading forBillups. The trade doesn't make sense for the Nuggets because where is their room for growth? Who is their post presence? Can you rely on JR Smith givingyou a consistent 18 a game without taking terrible shots? If Nene goes down, their season is over. At least with AI & Melo, you could have scored your wayto 40-42 wins in the season.

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

+ Sheed's $13 mil. That's over $30 mil in cap room after this season. I don't see this as a bad deal for either team.

yup....I really think they are setting themselves up for the 2010 UFA class. Lebron, Wade, etc.....don't sleep on the Pistons making some noise. This isa good deal for the short term, but long term, it makes SO much sense financially.

Stuckey is going to wear #3. I thought you couldn't change your number midseason, if you aren't traded. Kinda like the Ron Artest rule...

yeah...Webber wore #2 when he first came to the Bullets back in the day...Scott Skiles had #4.

Question tho....when Webber went to Philly (I think it was a mid-season deal), didn't he get #4 from Iggy instantly? I'm a little confused w. therule....

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

No, Lebron or any free agent will not come to detroit. Detroit will have a lot of cap space this summer but not really anyone worth signing but moves will be made and i dont think they will be very good ones. I think this will be our last season conteding for a championship. We will most likely lose Sheed, maybe Iverson if we dont sign him and Rip can opt out and if this team isnt looking good he just might. We also need to give Tayshaun a deal.
Rip doesn't have an option, his contract ends in the 2009-2010 season. Tayshawn Prince's contract ends in the 2010-2011 season. You guyswill most likely let Rasheed walk away too. I give the Pistons about another 2 years to be THAT good of a team. Not unless you guys can sign Iverson after thisseason.

Another reason to like this move for Detroit... They get the major shake-up Joe D talked about all offseason, but it doesn't put them in aposition where they'll be hampered long-term by contracts or losing draft picks... This is a huge win for the Pistons, IMO... They get hands down the bestplayer in the deal, and they get an easy out with that expiring contract if it doesn't work out...

If I'm Dumars, I'm looking at this as a win now or rebuild scenario. Why try to lock up Iverson or Sheed long-term again if you don't make a deeprun into the playoffs? Take Stuck, Maxiell, and those other young guys and just start over.

Clearly AI is going to come in motivated because his chances of making the playoffs and getting out of the first round are greater than if he stayed in thecompetitve West.

dude is still lightening quick and will give the Piston more offense than they have had in the last couple of years in the playoffs

Denver is still a 7 or 8 seed.......

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

No, Lebron or any free agent will not come to detroit. Detroit will have a lot of cap space this summer but not really anyone worth signing but moves will be made and i dont think they will be very good ones. I think this will be our last season conteding for a championship. We will most likely lose Sheed, maybe Iverson if we dont sign him and Rip can opt out and if this team isnt looking good he just might. We also need to give Tayshaun a deal.
Rip doesn't have an option, his contract ends in the 2009-2010 season. Tayshawn Prince's contract ends in the 2010-2011 season. You guys will most likely let Rasheed walk away too. I give the Pistons about another 2 years to be THAT good of a team. Not unless you guys can sign Iverson after this season.
From what i heard Rip has an ETO.

i dont know does this make denver a better team?...and are they gonna be a team to contend with in the bottom west?

You can change your number. When Iverson came to Denver in 2006, DerMarr Johnson was wearing 3 and Iverson paid him money which Johnson donated and Iverson gothis number. I'm sure a similar thing will happen, especially with his Reebok contract and his number 3 all over his shoes, that has something to do withit...
Originally Posted by The Wizard

As for the trade, It's a great salary cap move for Detroit, but Stuckey is gonna get less minutes this year unless they hold AI under his usual 40 per game. Second, if this does work out for the Pistons and they do go to the Finals or even win the title, what do you do with AI?

For Denver, they got their PG but at such an excessive cost. You cut salary by trading Camby and then afterwards you take on more salary by trading for Billups. The trade doesn't make sense for the Nuggets because where is their room for growth? Who is their post presence? Can you rely on JR Smith giving you a consistent 18 a game without taking terrible shots? If Nene goes down, their season is over. At least with AI & Melo, you could have scored your way to 40-42 wins in the season.

Stuckey will most likely give up his number but no idea what he will wear after. Kinda hope he goes to number 1 so i can buy a cheap Billups authentic andchange it to Stuckey
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Clearly AI is going to come in motivated because his chances of making the playoffs and getting out of the first round are greater than if he stayed in the competitve West.

dude is still lightening quick and will give the Piston more offense than they have had in the last couple of years in the playoffs

Denver is still a 7 or 8 seed.......
NO,they werent ever gonna be a 7th seed this season and now this only makes them more competitive for the 8th.At best...

Idk why people say this won't work.
AI has more ppg then Billups, more assists the Billups, 2 more steals than Billups... and he can legitamtly take over a game during the times we needscoring....

He will mesh well with Rip, Tay and Sheed.... no doubt in my mind....
This is the best talented team Vo will be on, he will be a better player trust me....

And anyway he gets to torch Philly 4 times a year!!!!!!

(Damn I rock my chauncey jersey faithfully....kinda sad to see him go)
Looks like I gotta book some plane tickets back to the D to check out some games at the Palace.... Detroit is gonna LOVE Iverson.

Wow!

This Deal Is Gonna Help Out Both Teams Allot. Not Enough 2 Get Them 2 The Finals Cuz The Lakers N The Celtics Are Still The Teams 2 Beat.

I Just Heard On Sportscenter That The Nuggets Are Gonna Buy Out Mcdyess' Contract. What's Up With Thatt?

eek.gif

Wow.

GREAT move for the Pistons.
Not only will they have a motivated AI running through the East, they'll have 30 million off the books this year and they can be a HUGE player in freeagency.

I don't see how this makes Denver better, but it was time to build this team around Carmelo and let him grow.
That was not going to happen with AI taking so many shots a game.

Me and Nasmatic talked about this yesterday
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

This is the rule on the books.

In order for a player to change jersey numbers at will, he either has to change teams or have the team inform the league of the decision more than six monthsin advance. Players who stay with the same team must have worn the same number for four seasons or longer.

So does that allow Stuckey to switch numbers??

Love this deal for the Pistons in the long term because they get rid of Chauncey Billups' horrendous contract.

Now they can make a move for Boozer this summer or wait till next summer and make a run at Bosh.

Oh and I can't wait to steadily see all the Nugget sigs replaced by Piston sigs
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom