Jadakiss, “The Last Kiss,â€

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Wouldn't Def Jam not be making any money if they bought their own artist's album? (forgive me, I'm slow)

its to trick people into thinking that its selling... "wow he sold how many copies? must b a good album... let me go b a sheep"

Yea but in hip hop that !%# is irrelevant. Hip hop always has huge 1st week sales and go down from there. Def Jam knows there ain't no monster radio singleon the album to push this album. Def Jam buying records would lose money. Ya'll dudes gotta quit with this. i mean understand why ya'll said Def Jambought 'Ye and Jay-Z because they had MONSTER 1st week sales. And 130k is huge. But at the same time I can sort of believe it. I just think Jada is at thatpoint where he has a decent fanbase who will cop his albums. If UGK can do 75k with NO PROMO AT ALL I can see Jada doing 130k. On NT, its either you laugh atdudes album sales and if they're too high its the label bought albums.
laugh.gif

Props to Jada. I knew the album was dropping but I didn't like not one song released from the album. Its some bangers on the album to but Def Jam droppedthe ball releasing singles.

^ but like dudes above me said, I haven't heard one Jadakiss song on the radio....(The Dream's album came out pretty recently right? Did Jada sell morethan him?)

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Shout out to everyone that bought the album...especially Def Jam for the 70,000 copies they bought...

Harlem what you gonna say when Ross do 150k-180k his 1st week?
laugh.gif
Propsto Def Jam for buying 130k of them? I already know you got the excuse ready.

It's not impossible; Jada aint drop an album in a minute, NY *@%%+ with Jada. 100,000 aint that much - that's probably all East Coast
laugh.gif

^ but like dudes above me said, I haven't heard one Jadakiss song on the radio....(The Dream's album came out pretty recently right? Did Jada sell more than him?)
That point is well taken. And i'm sort of drawn back by that as well. But Jada last album did 250k correct? With a hit single and at adifferent time in music but I mean I don't know. I don't think you can just sit back and say oh Def Jam bought albums. It doesn't make sense. Andwhile we're on Dream's album that would've made a lot more to have bought copies of and have him doing like doing 200k his 1st week since he'spop friendly and has pop records on the album the album. Jada? Album is hot but I don't hear that pop hit that's gonna crossover. How Jada did it? Idon't know. Maybe great marketing? I knew the album was dropping. Didn't like one song from the album released as a single and haven't even seenone video. But at the same time i'm in the South and I know dudes that F with Jada down here. I think he's that cat every dude from every region can Fwith. Like Fab and Jeezy.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

^ but like dudes above me said, I haven't heard one Jadakiss song on the radio....(The Dream's album came out pretty recently right? Did Jada sell more than him?)
That point is well taken. And i'm sort of drawn back by that as well. But Jada last album did 250k correct? With a hit single and at a different time in music but I mean I don't know. I don't think you can just sit back and say oh Def Jam bought albums. It doesn't make sense. And while we're on Dream's album that would've made a lot more to have bought copies of and have him doing like doing 200k his 1st week since he's pop friendly and has pop records on the album the album. Jada? Album is hot but I don't hear that pop hit that's gonna crossover. How Jada did it? I don't know. Maybe great marketing? I knew the album was dropping. Didn't like one song from the album released as a single and haven't even seen one video. But at the same time i'm in the South and I know dudes that F with Jada down here. I think he's that cat every dude from every region can F with. Like Fab and Jeezy.

My whole Barbershop bought his album NY will never forget Jada point blank. And Im guessing if Jada was smart the next single would be "Rocking With TheBest"

Wouldn't Def Jam not be making any money if they bought their own artist's album? (forgive me, I'm slow)

its to trick people into thinking that its selling... "wow he sold how many copies? must b a good album... let me go b a sheep"
Def Jam buying records would lose money. Ya'll dudes gotta quit with this. On NT, its either you laugh at dudes album sales and if they're too high its the label bought albums.
laugh.gif
I completely agree with your statement. Good sales Jada.

I bought 3
laugh.gif
. One for me and I gave the other two to my homeboys.

And I'm not as surprised as you guys are. I think you guys are underestimating Jada's fan base. Kids from the Burbs' love the LOX. I can't nameone time when I got high I didn't hear I Get High
laugh.gif
. From the mostrandom people. LOX/Jada fans are FAITHFUL.

I hate when cats bring up the Def Jam bought albums arguments. I don't think yall realize how how hard it is to buy back albums, 15K might go unnoticed butanything upwards of 50-100K isn't. When labels buy back albums its usually in the form of having little mom and pop stores scan the album 3-4 times and inreturn they get a small discount on future bulk shipments or receive label merchandise but those days are long over. There mechanisms in place to track"ghost scans" you can even look and see how the album sold regionally and based on the shipment orders its easy to distinguish inflated sales.example if DJ shipped 50K to all ATL music stores and 25-30K were sold 1st week thats easy to tell the sales were inflated since most labels ship albums on aformulated ratio and i doubt its a ratio of 1 album bought for every 2 shipped probably more like 1:4

In Jada's case there's no invested intrest why DJ would spend their own money to boost up an artist that will probably not go past 400K total. Maybefor artists like Ne-Yo, Rihanna, Kanye and etc where there's potential to exceed projections but with cats like Kiss, Chrisette Michele and etc no point.

I remember when I posted the hitsdailydouble numbers and people laughed.

I'm surprised but not really, Jada did over 200K the first week on his last album.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

I bought 3
laugh.gif
. One for me and I gave the other two to my homeboys.

And I'm not as surprised as you guys are. I think you guys are underestimating Jada's fan base. Kids from the Burbs' love the LOX. I can't name one time when I got high I didn't hear I Get High
laugh.gif
. From the most random people. LOX/Jada fans are FAITHFUL.
goodtimes dont count... its a weed song... that dont mean they like the rest of they +##@... kids from the burbs love kanye... not the lox... where the hell are u from? and who buys 3 copies just 2 give 2 away? some people are a lil more than "fans" i swear...
Yea that's od. I got a problem buying 1 album. I'll be damn if i'm buying 3 different albums let alone 3 of the same album. The hell?I can see why he did 130k if cats will do @%+ like this.

Originally Posted by EvansST

I remember when I posted the hitsdailydouble numbers and people laughed.

I'm surprised but not really, Jada did over 200K the first week on his last album.

Yea but Why was a monster. Wasn't that a #1 hit in the country? If not it was up there. I ain't denying Jada ain't really sell it but its twodifferent situations. Good for dude. Proves the vets in the game still got it.

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

I hate when cats bring up the Def Jam bought albums arguments. I don't think yall realize how how hard it is to buy back albums, 15K might go unnoticed but anything upwards of 50-100K isn't. When labels buy back albums its usually in the form of having little mom and pop stores scan the album 3-4 times and in return they get a small discount on future bulk shipments or receive label merchandise but those days are long over. There mechanisms in place to track "ghost scans" you can even look and see how the album sold regionally and based on the shipment orders its easy to distinguish inflated sales. example if DJ shipped 50K to all ATL music stores and 25-30K were sold 1st week thats easy to tell the sales were inflated since most labels ship albums on a formulated ratio.

In Jada's case there's no invested intrest why DJ would spend their own money to boost up an artist that will probably not go past 400K total. Maybe for artists like Ne-Yo, Rihanna, Kanye and etc where there's potential to exceed projections but with cats like Kiss, Chrisette Michele and etc no point.

ok good point... no come up wit some vaild reasons as to why he sold that much? this dude gets no radio/video play
Im shocked at his sales as well but i think some of us underestimate Jada's track record. Jada has 2 platinum selling albums and 1 gold groupalbum with The Lox. He's well known in hip-hop, he's a respected artist, has an established fanbase. You don't need OD promotion or top 10 singleto boost your sales. Nas can drop an album every year and would still sell 400-500K without any promotion.

When i get the Neilsen i'll see the breakdown of his sales regionally but im quite sure the eastcoast market was a bulk of most of his sales

Nas could do what? Didn't he sell 150k on Untitled with heavy promotion? And Jada got 2 platinum albums? I thought this was his sophomore album?

Def Jam bought those records... Say what you want... Its just these days rappers sell so little actual copies that it is this way... I don't see why acompany that has been known to cheat on soundscan #s would all of a sudden start playing it fair... Maybe they didn't buy 70K but they bought a decentamount... I'm sure they have someone they pay a good amount to study the numbers, and the margin for error when a company buys its own product when aproduct is nowhere near hot to the general public...

The reason they aint buy Dream +@%! is because its gonna sell on its own merit... Its an R&B album it can me marketed for like 14 months... A modern dayhip hop albums has about 4 months in total, 2 before release and 2 after if you aint gold/platinum or have as many #1 singles as Wayne or TI... You won'tsee the time of day...

Nas could do what? Didn't he sell 150k on Untitled with heavy promotion? And Jada got 2 platinum albums? I thought this was his sophomore album?
[table][tr][td]Artist
JADAKISS[/td] [td]Title
KISS THA GAME GOODBYE[/td] [td]Certification Date
09/21/2001[/td] [td]Label
RUFF RYDERS / INTERSCOPE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Award Description
PLATINUM
[/td] [td]Format
ALBUM[/td] [td]Category
SOLO[/td] [td]Type
ST[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]Artist
JADAKISS[/td] [td]Title
KISS OF DEATH[/td] [td]Certification Date
03/11/2005[/td] [td]Label
INTERSCOPE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Award Description
GOLD
[/td] [td]Format
ALBUM[/td] [td]Category
SOLO[/td] [td]Type
ST[/td] [/tr][/table]
Kiss Of Death scanned over 800K which could give a certification of Platinum but i guess RIAA still has it at gold.

For the 400-500K figure I was talking about in total sales not first week sales

son there's no way he sold this way by himself. ALL his singles were trash and he got 0 radio spins let alone a garbage album.

I mean i should be congratulating him but people really shouldn't.

people keep mentioning his past. His PAST albums had Aight/Hot Singles that actually got radio spins & that was the time people were buying records. Thisone? Hell No and especially the way people not buying albums.
I don't see why a company that has been known to cheat on soundscan #s would all of a sudden start playing it fair... Maybe they didn't buy 70K but they bought a decent amount... I'm sure they have someone they pay a good amount to study the numbers, and the margin for error when a company buys its own product when a product is nowhere near hot to the general public...

The reason they aint buy Dream +@%! is because its gonna sell on its own merit... Its an R&B album it can me marketed for like 14 months... A modern day hip hop albums has about 4 months in total, 2 before release and 2 after if you aint gold/platinum or have as many #1 singles as Wayne or TI... You won't see the time of day...
listen to this man

I don't remember Untitled being promoted heavily, I might be wrong though.

i actually bought kiss of death

at the time i was still buying albums i bought that and lloyd banks hfm

The same way people saying Jada's sales are inflated the same could be said about the new UGK album, many in the industry were surprised at how well it did1st week. Why no one question their sales.... I guess because its DJ its automatic that albums were bought. Sometimes there's more that meets the surface

pimp.gif

Buyback or not...Imma happy to see a real _ doing it.

Album ain't as bad as I thought. I hit up the Best Buy on Fordham today and copped the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom