Japan 9.0 Mag. Quake/Tsunami -HAITI stands with Japan [vid]

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

The japanese ambassador just stated there is no meltdown under way, US is making a very big deal.
To avoid chaos?
ohwell.gif
Let's hope he's right though...

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

The japanese ambassador just stated there is no meltdown under way, US is making a very big deal.
To avoid chaos?
ohwell.gif
Let's hope he's right though...

There's some press conference on NHK right now and there isn't anything being reported anything about a meltdown or even the 2nd reactor

either Japan is trying to save face and hiding it until the last minute or CNN is fear-mongering

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Per CNN, a Meltdown may be under way at Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactor, an official with Japan's safety agency says.

Catastrophic if true, this could be worse than Chernobyl...hope everyone is monitoring the situation, a nuclear meltdown could send a literal "death cloud" hurtling towards California.

eek.gif

If it does come our way, how do you even avoid the radiation?! Seriously, how do you avoid the waves? Staying indoors? 
It's a worse case scenario, obviously, but a wide scale distribution of potassium iodide to counteract radiation exposure would be my guess. The big worry is the cesium-137...

Per CNN, a Meltdown may be under way at Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactor, an official with Japan's safety agency says.

Catastrophic if true, this could be worse than Chernobyl...hope everyone is monitoring the situation, a nuclear meltdown could send a literal "death cloud" hurtling towards California.

eek.gif

If it does come our way, how do you even avoid the radiation?! Seriously, how do you avoid the waves? Staying indoors? 
It's a worse case scenario, obviously, but a wide scale distribution of potassium iodide to counteract radiation exposure would be my guess. The big worry is the cesium-137...

There's some press conference on NHK right now and there isn't anything being reported anything about a meltdown or even the 2nd reactor

either Japan is trying to save face and hiding it until the last minute or CNN is fear-mongering

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif

Everyone out in Cali be safe.

eek.gif

images

For me at least. I know its been real for everyone involved, but all of california??? Ah man, that's me.
ohwell.gif
 I hope it doesn't get that bad.
frown.gif

I've watched a lot of coverage of this on CNN, and I really feel they're trying to sensationalize everything to the extreme. I don't think Japan would try to hide anything...

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif

Everyone out in Cali be safe.

eek.gif

images

For me at least. I know its been real for everyone involved, but all of california??? Ah man, that's me.
ohwell.gif
 I hope it doesn't get that bad.
frown.gif

I've watched a lot of coverage of this on CNN, and I really feel they're trying to sensationalize everything to the extreme. I don't think Japan would try to hide anything...

Not sure what you guys are talking about, the AP and BBC are reporting similar things. Clearly, Japan is trying to prevent panic, I mean they are diverting sea water to cool the reactor, a clear and obvious desperation measure. It's always a bigger deal than it really is up until the breaking point, word to the Deepwater Horizon and every other slow-developing disaster to take place....

Not sure what you guys are talking about, the AP and BBC are reporting similar things. Clearly, Japan is trying to prevent panic, I mean they are diverting sea water to cool the reactor, a clear and obvious desperation measure. It's always a bigger deal than it really is up until the breaking point, word to the Deepwater Horizon and every other slow-developing disaster to take place....

I wish media wouldn't cover facts with a cloud of haze and speculation. Whenever a nuclear situation arises, the news is conveyed to all nuclear plants around the world. Even the smallest failures and events of insignificance to the public are communicated between plants around the world, this is called OPEX (operational experience) so we can learn from everyone in the industry to operate in the safest way possible. Even along this line of communication nobody seems to know whats going on in the daiichi reactors.

I just got back from work and from what we know the reactor core is still intact. They are circulating sea water in the final attempt to keep the fuel cool, and the addition of boron is because it adds negative reactivity. boron acts as a poison in a reactor, its addition must be precautionary since their primary system to stop fission reaction is still intact. CNN keeps reporting that meltdown maybe underway, whatever that is supposed to mean. I know some monitors picked up trace amounts of radioactive cesium and iodine but there are several other reasons they could possible be there besides failing fuel. As long as they can keep sea water circulation going on, reactor won't melt down. if that too somehow failed, well.. its a scary thought.

I wish media wouldn't cover facts with a cloud of haze and speculation. Whenever a nuclear situation arises, the news is conveyed to all nuclear plants around the world. Even the smallest failures and events of insignificance to the public are communicated between plants around the world, this is called OPEX (operational experience) so we can learn from everyone in the industry to operate in the safest way possible. Even along this line of communication nobody seems to know whats going on in the daiichi reactors.

I just got back from work and from what we know the reactor core is still intact. They are circulating sea water in the final attempt to keep the fuel cool, and the addition of boron is because it adds negative reactivity. boron acts as a poison in a reactor, its addition must be precautionary since their primary system to stop fission reaction is still intact. CNN keeps reporting that meltdown maybe underway, whatever that is supposed to mean. I know some monitors picked up trace amounts of radioactive cesium and iodine but there are several other reasons they could possible be there besides failing fuel. As long as they can keep sea water circulation going on, reactor won't melt down. if that too somehow failed, well.. its a scary thought.

eek.gif

assuming the worst case scenario happens, what happens is a plume of radioactive particles will get launched into the atmosphere. the one thing japan has going for it is that, the patterns seem to predict the plume going over and across the pacific which doesn't have much human population. the way it might affect cali is if the particles rain down onto the ground. its impossible to predict because you cannot exactly estimate the kind of plume this will create, the time it will take for the majority to rain down to the ground/ocean or anything else. if the scientists predict that part of the plume might hit cali coast then yes, staying inside is the only protection. the problem is far worse, what happens is the plume might rain down onto crops, trees, etc etc .. you see where im going with that

eek.gif

assuming the worst case scenario happens, what happens is a plume of radioactive particles will get launched into the atmosphere. the one thing japan has going for it is that, the patterns seem to predict the plume going over and across the pacific which doesn't have much human population. the way it might affect cali is if the particles rain down onto the ground. its impossible to predict because you cannot exactly estimate the kind of plume this will create, the time it will take for the majority to rain down to the ground/ocean or anything else. if the scientists predict that part of the plume might hit cali coast then yes, staying inside is the only protection. the problem is far worse, what happens is the plume might rain down onto crops, trees, etc etc .. you see where im going with that

Why the hell did they build a nuclear power plant close to an earthquake zone in the first place?
30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif
I be they were thinking "Gee, what could possibly go wrong?" How about building one right next to a volcano with a history of spontaneous and violent eruptions while at it? What a bunch of morons for gambling with so many lives.

And now I'm reading that they're cooling the reactor with sea water. Basically, they're improvising meaning they had no real plan of what to do in this situation. If we're lucky enough to get through this, hopefully a lot will be learned from this.

Why the hell did they build a nuclear power plant close to an earthquake zone in the first place?
30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif
I be they were thinking "Gee, what could possibly go wrong?" How about building one right next to a volcano with a history of spontaneous and violent eruptions while at it? What a bunch of morons for gambling with so many lives.

And now I'm reading that they're cooling the reactor with sea water. Basically, they're improvising meaning they had no real plan of what to do in this situation. If we're lucky enough to get through this, hopefully a lot will be learned from this.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif

If we're lucky enough to get through this, hopefully a lot will be learned from this.

nuclear plants HAVE to be built near big bodies of water, we need the cooling medium for a variety of systems. what I dont get too is why build it on the east coast thats wide open to the pacific having known japan's history with tsunamis. if we can analyze this to be a bad idea then the scientists and engineers back in the 60s mustve taken it into account, i just can't think of what the justification would be

30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif

If we're lucky enough to get through this, hopefully a lot will be learned from this.

nuclear plants HAVE to be built near big bodies of water, we need the cooling medium for a variety of systems. what I dont get too is why build it on the east coast thats wide open to the pacific having known japan's history with tsunamis. if we can analyze this to be a bad idea then the scientists and engineers back in the 60s mustve taken it into account, i just can't think of what the justification would be

Originally Posted by brrraptors

30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif

money.

Originally Posted by brrraptors

30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif

money.

Back
Top Bottom