Japan NT'ers/Nt'ers That Frequent Japan. Check In. Questions For Ya'll.

How come NT hasn't created a sub-forum (or even an official thread) for NT'ers that live out in JP?
It seems that every-so-often you get threads popping up with questions about visiting/living out in Japan that it's surprised me that NT hasn't made an official thread for it. :nerd:

I figured it would be helpful for NT in general to have one consolidated place for people to ask questions/help others interested in the country. (Sneakers, streetwear, shopping, food, points of interests, etc.)

I have a couple of relatives living out there and I found out that I may actually be visiting them in the coming months.
I travel to Asia usually and unfortunately have yet to visit the land of the rising sun, so I figured making a "Official" thread would be helpful for all of us.

Whadda'ya say fellas? :nerd:

View media item 208586
View media item 208595
View media item 208600
View media item 208605(*Photos weren't taken by me)

-Drew

There's got to be JP heads hitting up NT. I don't believe it if anyone says no. :lol:

-Drew

i grew in japan and go there often...checking in.

I hope you don't mind if I flood you with questions, bruh. :nerd:

I'm heading out there between May to June this year.

First off, I know the sneaker game there is insane. How is it looking for size 12 kicks? Recent and old releases? I'm wondering if it would be easier or more difficult to grab my size in recent releases since I figured there's not too many big footers over there. :nerd:

-Drew

By no means am I an expert on Japan or anything close to it.

I was out there this past fall for the first time (Tokyo and Osaka) and I dont think its gonna be any easier to get stuff there than it is stateside. I've been an NT general guy for awhile and havent really been buying sneakers for some time now (unless something gets retro'd that I been waiting on for awhile, but i digress). I was cruisin around Harajuku doing some shopping and happened upon the street where a buncha sneaker shops are (UNDFTD, Supreme, etc...). Kids were lined up around the building. Apparantly there was some release going on at UNDFTD or something? I dont know. I been out of it for so long, I dont even know what is releasing these days. From what I could tell, it was just as many ex-pat type kids as it was locals.

As far as prices. EVERYTHING in Japan is expensive, whether its a pair of Nikes or a pack of gum. Chances are, you arent going to come up on a steal of any type while shopping in Tokyo. There was one shop I came across that seemed to be kinda like a Flight Club where they had walls and walls of jays, sb's, and the like. I was about to plop down about $600USD equivalent to get a pair of Dunk SB Takeshi's to replace the pair I beat to death, but alas... nothing in my size. My guess is, they have 1 or 2 sizes of each of the rarer pairs, and for all i know they might be on consignment.

If you have relatives out there, I'm sure they can help point you in the right direction. The food in Japan is excellent (well if youre into Japanese food). Tokyo is an absolute zoo. It makes NYC Manhattan look like a sleepy suburb in terms of the speed and pace of life. If you dont speak/read Japanese, it will be a godsend to have someone (like a cousin or other relative out there) who does as English does not go that far there (as compared to some other countries that I've been to).

chea. Tokyo resident here

I stopped collecting sneakers a long time ago though. I occasionally hit some spots, often by chance.

I'd say anything over 11 is pretty scarce. Not saying they're not out there though, I'm sure you'd have good luck with newer releases, older shoes, maybe not so much..
and those exchange rates are terrible nowadays

Is it even possible to find a US size 13 in Japan?

I just wish it's easy to find size 12's and maybe size 13s for AMs there. :nerd:

By no means am I an expert on Japan or anything close to it.

I was out there this past fall for the first time (Tokyo and Osaka) and I dont think its gonna be any easier to get stuff there than it is stateside. I've been an NT general guy for awhile and havent really been buying sneakers for some time now (unless something gets retro'd that I been waiting on for awhile, but i digress). I was cruisin around Harajuku doing some shopping and happened upon the street where a buncha sneaker shops are (UNDFTD, Supreme, etc...). Kids were lined up around the building. Apparantly there was some release going on at UNDFTD or something? I dont know. I been out of it for so long, I dont even know what is releasing these days. From what I could tell, it was just as many ex-pat type kids as it was locals.

As far as prices. EVERYTHING in Japan is expensive, whether its a pair of Nikes or a pack of gum. Chances are, you arent going to come up on a steal of any type while shopping in Tokyo. There was one shop I came across that seemed to be kinda like a Flight Club where they had walls and walls of jays, sb's, and the like. I was about to plop down about $600USD equivalent to get a pair of Dunk SB Takeshi's to replace the pair I beat to death, but alas... nothing in my size. My guess is, they have 1 or 2 sizes of each of the rarer pairs, and for all i know they might be on consignment.

If you have relatives out there, I'm sure they can help point you in the right direction. The food in Japan is excellent (well if youre into Japanese food). Tokyo is an absolute zoo. It makes NYC Manhattan look like a sleepy suburb in terms of the speed and pace of life. If you dont speak/read Japanese, it will be a godsend to have someone (like a cousin or other relative out there) who does as English does not go that far there (as compared to some other countries that I've been to).

I hear that prices out in JP are expensive as well, but I also hear stories of how people find crazy gems over there for great deals. Some dude on youtube was showing his pickup of a pair of '99 IVs from JP for a steal. :nthat:

I only wish I can find something like that.

chea. Tokyo resident here

I stopped collecting sneakers a long time ago though. I occasionally hit some spots, often by chance.

I'd say anything over 11 is pretty scarce. Not saying they're not out there though, I'm sure you'd have good luck with newer releases, older shoes, maybe not so much..
and those exchange rates are terrible nowadays

How is the sneaker culture over there bro? How is it to live there? and how'd you end up living out in JP? Would love to know.

BTW, you a big Kaws collector Snoop?:nerd:

I hope to keep this thread alive fellas. Maybe you guys can drop some dope spots to hit up when other NTers visit Japan. (Doesn't have to just be sneaker spots) I'll keep updating the first page as recommendations roll through. :nthat:

-Drew

Last edited:
I've been wanting to visit Japan for so long. Maybe this summer. 
frown.gif

I hope you don't mind if I flood you with questions, bruh. :nerd:

I'm heading out there between May to June this year.

First off, I know the sneaker game there is insane. How is it looking for size 12 kicks? Recent and old releases? I'm wondering if it would be easier or more difficult to grab my size in recent releases since I figured there's not too many big footers over there. :nerd:

-Drew

my bad my dude havent checked this for awhile.

you can find size 12s, in fact what i often found was most of the stores found it hard to get rid of them. my friends and i established some great relationships with store owners and the ppl working at places like undftd and supreme bc they knew we would come by eventually and cop the bigger sizes (not me specifically bc i wear a 10 lol) but rest assured you will be able to find your size. let me know when you'll be there i may be venturing over sometime this summer and if not i can certainly help you out with some locations or even some ppl that can help you while you are there. Japan is a beautiful place and im certain you'll find that the beauty in it lies in discovering it for yourself, during high school every weekend my boy and i would take the time to just explore random areas of the city and ask ppl at sneaker stores for different places they had heard about or been to, by doing so we ended up finding some of the most impressive stores and collections, for example i randomly ended up being friends with this older japanese man who just loved the nba and sneakers, he had a wild collection and traveled to the US once a year for the allstar game his store was in a market in a place where you would typically go to buy fresh food and toys and randomly BAM! a rack of exclusives and a bunch of grails lol only in japan...again, i am more than happy to help you out w anything i can so ask away

love japan. have visited tokyo many times. shoe hunting is great there but the food and snacks are better. chips, pastries, mochi, curry, sashimi/sushi.......fantastic.

real kobe steak. buttery doesn't even begin to describe.
View media item 217824
amazing steak bento. amazing.
View media item 217825
kururi ramen. probably the best ramen i have ever had the chance to eat. ate it on a rainy day :nthat:
View media item 217826
my bag coming back always has a load of kit kat.
View media item 217827

Last edited:
Sub-forums blow, no action jackson, keep this front page and you'll be good. Hit me with some spots and travel tips. Looking like this trip is a possibility towards the end of 2013. Do they receive brown folks well?

In my experience, Asia as a whole receives foreigners very well.

Last edited:
Sub-forums blow, no action jackson, keep this front page and you'll be good. Hit me with some spots and travel tips. Looking like this trip is a possibility towards the end of 2013. Do they receive brown folks well?

you'll be received well, i am a brother of color myself, but i will say as is in all life situations you get what you put out. i say this bc ive seen countless foreigners out in japan acting as if they are of divine blood and of course the locals respond with a sense of displeasure - which then F#$#ks up the image for everyone else :smh:

I live in Yokosuka. Japan in general is expensive to me. You're going to have to pay to park everywhere you go pretty much. And the tolls are everywhere. Those add up with the quickness. I can't speak on the shoe game. I know Skit has a few shops around Japan. Food is excellent. Ramen is definitely a favorite. It's not that out the bag stuff. I wreck shop on sushi-go-rounds. Roppongi is a busy area if you're into clubbing. So far I'm enjoying Japan.

japan convenience store food >>>>>>>>dog poo>>>american convenience store "food"

I can agree. I would never buy a hot dog, pizza, wings from 7-11 in the states but I've purchased chicken, fries, microwaveable dishes, bacon wrapped sausages, you name it here in Japan. It's just different...

Back
Top Bottom