Jay Z last night At SO SO DEF 20th ANNIVERSARY

Its not this either, its the fact that hes been at it for so long. Every rappers sets are "predictable", they do all their smash singles, then the most well received songs off albums, and feature verses. Its just sticking to the bread and butter. He would lose some of the casual fan base(the majority of people in the area) if he started branching out. Not everyone is a diehard fan and wants to hear a live rendition of D'Evils. It just is what it is, I've been a handful of times and I still enjoy the shows just as much even if its the same songs over and over for the most part. 
I can't disagree with you more. You're telling me he's losing fans if he does a show without doing Hard Knock LIfe, Izzo, Can I Get A.... ??? He lost me as a fan by doing those played out songs at every show.
He would lose the interest of the casual fanbase yes. I've seen it with my own eyes, whenever he deviates from the bread and butter a good number of peopel stop vibing as hard as they were. I see people who dont even get hyped when Where I'm From is on, imagine if he did Imaginary Player. If he was having a more intimate show, then I would be all for it, but when you're trying to entertain a group of 30,000 plus, you have to go with the songs that the majority will know and get into. I'd be willing to wager that more often than not when hes in a city, the arena is filled up with people who have never been to his show before or maybe once before that.

Have you ever been to a show where theres an artist that you arent that into and they start doing songs that you dont know? Thats exactly what it would be like. I went to a Big Sean concert once, and this was back when Finally Famous 3 just dropped and it was the only work of his I ever heard. He started doing stuff off of FF2 and I was just standing there unmoved.
I don't get it, you want the dude to make new songs for you live on stage?

No one wants to see his top 20 singles anymore. I would love to never hear those songs again. He has over ten albums, perform the best songs from each album (NO SINGLES) and do us all a favor.
As much as I would love this, it just wouldnt work. The arena would have to be filled up with actual Jay-Z fans for it to have a chance. Real Jay-Z fans who actually are versed in his music.

Last edited:
I don't see him taking much of an L if he sprinkles in a verse of like Imaginary Players or what have you into his set every now and then . . .

I went to the Drake Club Paradise tour last year (around the time after Take Care) and he sprinkled some of his So Far Gone verses every now and then . . . while people didn't know it word for word, people didn't lose interest either

Then again, So Far Gone was 4-5 years ago, Jay has had a 17 year career so

You can tell Jermaine Dupri got uncomfortable when Jay got offended by the "The new Jay/old jay" remark. A lot of ego on stage - but I stand with what Jay did. A lot of Rappers stay rapping on tracks with ALL vocals.

Back
Top Bottom