Jay-Z Opening the Barclays Center in Brooklyn with 8 Shows (Sept-October)

lulz @ criticizing a guy who is supposed to be one of the GOATs because he didn't bring any guests with him

Went last night & had a blast :pimp:

The highlights were definitely seeing Dead Presidents & Can I Live... Those songs were done to perfection live.

What More Can I Say, Girls, Girls, Girls, Excuse Me Again + Excuse Me Miss, & Money Ain't A Thang were all cool to see live too.

Starting off the show with Where Im From was :pimp: :pimp:

I wish he did Brooklyns Finest or some of the other tracks that were on the earlier setlists (Do It Again, Murda Marcyville, You, Me, Him, & Her, etc). Its all good though, show was still :smokin

Last edited:
I am a Brooklynite and I don't get people saying that Jay had to go "all out". Jay put on a good show....I don't know what else some of you want.
This is the problem with people being objective....you went to this concert with the idea in your mind that Jay is opening the arena and should go "all out" (Whatever that means) and if he didn't go "all out" for the show you attended then you would be disappointed. With that logic you pretty much set yourself up for disappointment when you let your expectations dictate your assessment of the show. If Jay didn't do what you had in mind for the show then its viewed as not good enough. :smh:

Sadly in 2012 people expect to go to shows and expect guests like it's mandatory. See, when I went Made In America in Philly I went with the mindset that the show will be Hov solo (minus the Philly reunion I heard about a few days prior). I didn't expect Swizz, and G.O.O.D. Music was a total shocker.

That's a bit different though. He was doing a set at a festival, that had many other performers. Whereas, the Barclays center shows was marketed as an event, not as arena concerts with Jay-Z .. You can't fault people for expecting a once in a lifetime event occurring at each show date because that was what was insinuated with the marketing. Furthermore, most of his recent "hits" had other stars featured on them, so you again can't fault people for in the very least expecting a guest appearance or two by the people featured on those songs with Jay-Z.

Yes you can fault people. You bought a ticket that said Jay-Z on it. Expect Jay-Z to perform Jay-Z songs. Anything else is extra, :smh: I hate this ****. Just like all the folks during Kanye's set at Coachella begging for Daft Punk

That's because you hold rappers to such low standards. Daft Punk is a highly acclaimed group in their own lane. Kanye West was doing a set at a large festival, that features other highly acclaimed artists. How exactly is that the same as Jay-Z bringing out the artists that over the last 6-7 years because of their appearance on his singles has him still relevant in the mainstream? Furthermore this isn't GITD tour, this is Jay-Z putting on an event, NOT a concert, NOT an 8 night stay at an arena but an Event ... There is a big difference between the three of them. You know what the only thing I could think of coming close is Guns N Roses getting their original line up back together and only playing Chinese Democracy for 8 nights.

I don't know about you guys but I hold musicians to higher standards, you market something as an event knowing damn well it's going to send the ticket value through the roof then follow through on it

Anyways, Jay-Z sees his concerts as a money venture (these were his words as translated by Kanye during the prep for the Watch the Throne tour). I wouldn't be surprised if all the guest appearances concertgoers have been hoping for shows up tonight for the youtube broadcast

Prince did a 21 Night stand in LA. One night had Cee-Lo. One night had Janelle Monae. The rest didn't have any guests but I promise you NO ONE left unsatisfied because you know why? They bought tickets to see Prince put on a Prince show. If you buy tickets to see Jay-Z you bought tickets to see Jay-Z do a Jay-Z show. If you bought a ticket to see Jay + more wait til he has a Jay-Z & Friends show.

This was marketed as an event. As the opening of the Barclays Center. Was it not the Barclays opening even though no one came out. Hip Hops fans feel so entitled.

And what you talking about ticket value through the roof when Jay-Z made a large portion of the tickets cheap for the average fan?

So now Prince and Jay-Z are on the same level. We're talking about apple and oranges here. The tools affordable to Prince to keep the audience entertained without the help of anyone else but a backing band vastly outweighs that of Jay-Z. Hell I don't even mess with Prince and am a huge Jay-Z fan, and I can see this clear as day. Even with all of that he still had other people perform with him. The reason why people expect guest appearances is because to stay mainstream relevant most of Jay-Z's huge singles have guest features on them. Also add the fact that at any huge EVENT rap artists usually have the other people either in their "camp" or artists featured on their large singles perform with them. I'll just stop, again I could understand why people feel disappointed and also why Jay-Z chose to have no one else on the bill with him.

As far as the ticket pricing, when tickets were released I remember some people on here talking about they could get tickets to any of the eight shows
Here's an article on why these instant sellouts happen and the whole ticket scalping I'm referring to. While it's about Justin Beiber many acts do the exact same thing.

Documents Show 'Bieber Is Scalping His Own Tickets'[/SIZE]

By Phil Williams
Chief Investigative Reporter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A lot of young Bieber fans recently found out just how tough it can be to compete against the scalpers.

But the odds were stacked against them from the beginning on Bieber's upcoming tour -- and the scalpers may have included the star's own team. Those revelations are contained in ticketing documents, obtained by NewsChannel 5 Investigates, that reveal more concert ticket secrets.

When tickets went on sale this summer for Bieber's "Believe" tour, headlines boasted about how he had sold out Madison Square Garden in 30 seconds, his entire U.S. tour in just an hour.

"I'm just waiting and waiting -- and, after all that, you get through and there are no tickets available," recalled Amanda McDowell, who was trying to buy tickets for an 8-year-old neighbor.

McDowell had logged onto Ticketmaster's website at the exact moment that tickets to Bieber's Nashville show went on sale to the general public.

But, over and over, all she got was a message saying "no exact matches found."

"I'm just trying to get through and I'm just sitting right there, and I'm like I know there's tickets available -- surely," she said.

In fact, what Bieber's fans were not told is that there were really not that many seats left by the time tickets went on sale to the general public.

Ticket instructions obtained from Bieber's Nashville concert show that -- out of almost 14,000 available seats -- the number actually set aside for that public onsale: just 1,001.

That left McDowell in an intense struggle with other fans and scalpers.

"If I had known there were only actually a thousand tickets available that morning, I probably wouldn't have spent the time," McDowell said.

We showed the ticketing documents to Dean Budnick, who wrote the book: "Ticket Masters."

"To grab the subtitle of my book, I would say the public is getting scalped in many respects," Budnick said.

In Bieber's case, the biggest chunk of tickets -- almost 6,000 -- went to American Express customers through an AmEx presale.

Another 3,000 went to paying members of Bieber's fan club.

All of that, Budnick said, works to the benefit of scalpers who post them on resale sites like StubHub and TicketsNow at a steep mark-up.

"Many of them have multiple credit cards so they have plenty of opportunities to be part of those presales," he explained. "Many of them pay the money, if they need to or simply divulge a variety of email addresses they have, to be part of those fan clubs."

In fact, Bieber's tour was structured so that fan club members could buy up to four tickets in four different cities. Critics say that helps professional scalpers who buy those fan club memberships.

But what may surprise Bieber fans even more is what we found on TicketsNow: 14 tickets from Section 205, Row G were listed for $246 each.

Ticketing documents show that entire G row went to Bieber's tour.

We also spotted three tickets from Section 219, Row G, listed for $216 each. Those tickets also were reserved for Bieber's tour.

"I think there is no question when one looks at the document that Bieber is scalping his own tickets," Budnick said. " I think if one takes a deeper look at the situation and the context, one can understand why he's doing it. But nonetheless that is what's going on."

He noted that artists see how much the scalpers make, and they want a piece of the action.

Those ticketing documents also show that Bieber's tour held back 500 tickets to be sold at marked-up prices as part of Ticketmaster's Platinum Exchange program, along with some 900 seats reserved for various programs labeled as "VIP" tickets.

Our NewsChannel 5 investigation found a similar pattern regarding ticket availability three years ago for Taylor Swift's tour, when after all the presales and holds, there were less than 1,600 seats left for the general public.

That same year, scalpers were blamed after Keith Urban fans had trouble getting what he had promised would be a $20 ticket.

But, out of almost 15,000 seats for his Nashville show, the truth is there were just 389 tickets available at that price.

"Consumers are set up for great disappointment," said Elizabeth Owen, the former head of consumer affairs for the state of Tennessee who works these days as a consultant for the Fan Freedom Project.

Owen argued that, because of America's love affair with music, the concert industry gets a pass on basic consumer protection laws against unfair and deceptive acts.

"No business can advertise something for sale -- a product or a service or whatever -- at a certain price unless they have enough of that product or service to meet reasonable public demand," Owen said, referring specifically to a law that has been on the books in Tennessee since 1977.

So is it a violation of the law?

"In my opinion, it is," she answered

Bieber's publicist never returned NewsChannel 5 phone calls.

A Ticketmaster spokesperson said that the ticketing giant has no say in what artists do with their tickets. But it has been fighting legislation pushed by the Fan Freedom Project to require that the public be told exactly how many tickets are really available.

Ticketmaster argues that would only help the scalpers know how much they can jack up the price.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19616981/documents-show-bieber-is-scalping-his-own-tickets

Last edited:
Yes you can fault people. You bought a ticket that said Jay-Z on it. Expect Jay-Z to perform Jay-Z songs. Anything else is extra, :smh: I hate this ****. Just like all the folks during Kanye's set at Coachella begging for Daft Punk

Word! People expecting extra is just foolish. If Jay brings out any guest it is an added bonus....the show was marketed and promoted as a Jay-Z show which people bought but yet they were expecting Jay-Z and Friends! :smh:

I went Wednesday night and it was incredible. Never seeing Jay live before, I was more than impressed. And no he didn't bring out any guests :lol:.

I don't see why thats so important to all these NTers tho.

He ended a show with Forever Young... I've never been this disappointed by a show closing in life |I

Last edited:
Every Barclay Show ended with the Genius Speech (Different stories but same speech) and a abridged version of Forever Young.

my flash kept going down so im sure i missed a few songs, but damn son got hits after hits. he could have kept going for another hour w/ the songs he didn't do.

guess jay took the train to the last show. wonder where he got on at.

Yooooo tonight's show was dope to me ! I'm happy I went with my gut and assumed he would do something extra the last day.

I was in Section 2, and Beyonce up close is :pimp:hat

I think I knew every song except one I couldn't sit down :lol:

Satisfied with this performance

I'm not impressed with the Arena though it's small MSG >

Last edited:

Exactly. Last I checked it wasn't called the "Jay-Z & Friends" tour. That happened in 2005. 8 shows pretty much in a row? that off the bat was a sign to not expect much.

I went Wednesday night and it was incredible. Never seeing Jay live before, I was more than impressed. And no he didn't bring out any guests :lol:.
I don't see why thats so important to all these NTers tho.

Its not even NT, sadly in 2012 that's what people expect now. All about guests, and a crowd of idiots wasting most of the show taking poor photos and low quality video with their phones. I was actually glad for the most part Jay kept it solo. My only gripe is he keeps bragging about having a million of these hits, well, start going through those. The same set gets boring after a while, even tonight he was clearly tired towards the end.

With all that being said, even with the predictable songs, he's still better than 85% of rap live shows in 2012.

I have been avoiding the music forum like a plague since Monday to ensure that I didn't hear anything about the concert, with that said THIS WAS THE BEST NIGHT OF 2012!!!!!! Its crazy that no matter how many times I've seen this guy live, it never gets old. I actually felt like I enjoyed myself more having knowledge of the songs he was going to do for the most part. I've always wanted to hear Brooklyn We Go Hard live though so that was a huge surprise that he did it. Beyonce came out and people went nuts I'm sure that people have heard already but for the most part I'm glad it was mostly him. These aren't regular JAY-Z concerts, guests werent really necessary. This was about him and what hes built, and doing a show in his own arena in his own city. When the day arrives where he retires for good the concert has to be there and I will be in attendance

Back
Top Bottom