JB Retirement

Im getting to that point. Ive had nearly every colorway ive ever wanted several times over. That excitement of getting them turned into just filling a void of selling a pair I already had. After 13 years of buying, i feel like ive had my run. But ill always buy something here and there, Im just very selective now and rationalize how much im really going to wear something before i buy it.

I have shoes I haven't worn in YEARS

It's like why the hell do I even keep these lol
Then u get to the point where you have to do maintenance wear...or some of your sneakers are falling apart.

Haven't bought a pair of Jordan's since 2012 fire red 5
I Still wear Jordans all the time tho, the love of sneakers has always been the same

My style has changed to the point where if I wear some Jordan's it's kind of quirky in a good way.
Kinda like when Seinfeld rocked odd nikes.

I have shoes I haven't worn in YEARS

Same here. There came a point were I was buying Js just cuz, regardless if I'd be rocking them heavy, and now they're "WTF was I thinking" reminders of wasted money just sitting there.
The line also got blurred between something I wanted to own vs a shoe I'd actually wear. There's a lot of love out there for Columbia 11s, playoff 13s, white/red 12s, taxis 12s, bm 5s (my first Js ever!), etc. but all those ended up permanently at the bottom of my shoebox jenga, barely seeing the light of day.

I said I'd "retire" when my first son was born three years ago but lo and behold... alpacino.gif every damn time a "must have" release drops or something I'm even "meh" about gets discounted.

Probably the worst though is that the majority of my Js were amassed during the era for lowest quality, 2006-2013 :smh: however I REFUSE to double dip out of principle despite the crap materials: CDP 11s, 09 Space Jams, all dem pleather 5s, pre-creased 2013 Chi 1s, mid-sole cracked bred 4s...

As a father of two now, it's time to get my priorities straight. Concords 11 this year and I'm done, and this time I mean it!*

i'm done, and this time I mean it!*
tumblr_ltlrrgGnaY1qjkukyo1_400.gif

i...i...iii really mean it

Same here. There came a point were I was buying Js just cuz, regardless if I'd be rocking them heavy, and now they're "WTF was I thinking" reminders of wasted money just sitting there.
The line also got blurred between something I wanted to own vs a shoe I'd actually wear. There's a lot of love out there for Columbia 11s, playoff 13s, white/red 12s, taxis 12s, bm 5s (my first Js ever!), etc. but all those ended up permanently at the bottom of my shoebox jenga, barely seeing the light of day.

I said I'd "retire" when my first son was born three years ago but lo and behold... alpacino.gif every damn time a "must have" release drops or something I'm even "meh" about gets discounted.

Probably the worst though is that the majority of my Js were amassed during the era for lowest quality, 2006-2013 :smh: however I REFUSE to double dip out of principle despite the crap materials: CDP 11s, 09 Space Jams, all dem pleather 5s, pre-creased 2013 Chi 1s, mid-sole cracked bred 4s...

As a father of two now, it's time to get my priorities straight. Concords 11 this year and I'm done, and this time I mean it!*

What if they retroed a black red 11

I'm 18 and could only get new Jordan's every now and then, so the Jordan train will not be stopping at the retirement station anytime soon for me. My current sneaker backlog is filled with quite a few releases and there's more on the way that I plan to buy as well. I never got to own any originals from 1985-1998 so the whole remaster gimmick is great to me. Could be better yeah, but I'll take Nike Air and somewhat closer to OG form instead of garbage Jumpman Air and pleather on 5's and 6's, or low patent leather and reversed jumpmen on 11's and so on.

What if they retroed a black red 11

Still a no. As bad as those cardboard thangs were, I'm sticking with my guns and not rewarding JB for their incompetence. Plus I don't wear them that much to begin with.

Seeing the same shoes I’ve grown up with go from good/great, to inferior products made it easier to shy away. I’ll probably always wear a Black/Wht Cement 3 & 4 and OG Color 1s forever. But aside from those I don’t even buy other silhouettes anymore.

I can’t spend the money on shoes that are made like crap. Hilarious that they are all the same OD price now. On top of that I’m not jumping through hoops for any release so that puts me out of a lot of pairs. Overall I’m down to 4-5 shoes I wear all the time and buy a new pair maybe once a year. No more hoarding for the sake of “not missing out”.

Last edited:
Seeing the same shoes I’ve grown up with go from good/great, to inferior products made it easier to shy away. I’ll probably always wear a Black/Wht Cement 3 & 4 and OG Color 1s forever. But aside from those I don’t even buy other silhouettes anymore.
i understand the shape looks off; which is why i skipped bc3; but hasn't the actual product gotten better recently

The shoes will never substitute for actually having WITNESSED MJ pull off these feats. That's why when they compare LeBron to MJ, I bust out laughing.

Right but this is subjective. Honestly, people younger than 26 probably never remember MJ being dominant, given that they were, at most, 5-6 years old when MJ won his last championship. People like this fondly remember LeBron so, in all actuality, he (along with Kobe and, to a much lesser extent, KD, Curry, etc.) is to them what MJ was for people over 26. This is only going to get more pronounced as time passes. The good news is that nobody alive today has seen Chuck Taylor play but his shoes were so popular that it doesn’t really matter. If Nike/JB markets the shoes well, they could turn MJ into the next Chuck Taylor of shoes in 50+ years.

I wouldn't say I'm gonna retire, but I have slowed it down and will continue to do so. I can see myself buying less than five Jordans next year.

I've reached the point to where I feel like an idiot buying what I do and sometimes even doubling up. Part of it is the "If I don't buy this right now and want it later, I'm gonna regret it" mindset. That's something you've got to get over. No sense in it really. You either want the shoe or you don't.

i havent retired yet but definitely slowed down... before i use to cop everything from OG to non og colorways just cuz... now i am starting to get selective and picky about which pair to buy... i think twice if i will wear that shoe enough to cop and most of the time i just pass... i just try to cop the must haves for example this year copped shadow 1, black cements, cool gray lows, gold toe 1s, travis scott 4's and now he got games... will end the year with concords... sounds like a lot but i used to cop a lot more at least 2 shoes per month... i might do that though once a year lol

Retire is bit of a stretch but I've slowed down and downsized tremendously on sneakers in general not just Jordans. At this point all I'm doing is updating/upgrading, meaning if a earlier retro I have is on its last legs or damaged (I wear all my ****) and the newer retro is on the horizon I'll just purchase that and sell off the older pair (donate if beat to ****). If my older pair still looks great then I'll pass on the newer retro (Unless its I-VI with NA). Sneakers have kind of infiltrated every aspect of society so the list of places and occasions and you can wear them too are still growing at a pretty rapid rate so I'll probably never stop wearing them. But the ****ery associated with it I've far removed myself from such as
  1. Camping overnight (Never did in the first place)
  2. Lining up 2 plus hours before a store/mall opens (guilty of it)
  3. Buying bots (Never did in the first place)
  4. Paying for early pairs (Almost pulled the trigger)
  5. Breaking the bank for resale pairs (guilty)
I try my best to wait for **** to go on sale but if I dont get it on release day without jumping through the hoops I'm over it

i understand the shape looks off; which is why i skipped bc3; but hasn't the actual product gotten better recently
Yes but only because the shoes from 2004-2015 (ish) were THAT BAD. Certain models too. IMO only show up to par in any respect are the 1’s

ive bought 2 pairs of Jays the past 2 years or so... Never was a huge jordan head to begin with.. yeah i had my share of pairs but i definitely have gone years without buying any JB shoes..

only looking to get pairs that are quality anyway.. Im not paying 190 for a bust down version of some OG or 1st model retro...

seen how dudes got got for the cap and gowns??? lol

ive bought 2 pairs of Jays the past 2 years or so... Never was a huge jordan head to begin with.. yeah i had my share of pairs but i definitely have gone years without buying any JB shoes..

only looking to get pairs that are quality anyway.. Im not paying 190 for a bust down version of some OG or 1st model retro...

seen how dudes got got for the cap and gowns??? lol

what was wrong with the cap and gowns? I thought they were good quality, only reason I passed was id rather have the gammas if they ever bring those back some day

I wouldn't say I'm gonna retire, but I have slowed it down and will continue to do so. I can see myself buying less than five Jordans next year.

I've reached the point to where I feel like an idiot buying what I do and sometimes even doubling up. Part of it is the "If I don't buy this right now and want it later, I'm gonna regret it" mindset. That's something you've got to get over. No sense in it really. You either want the shoe or you don't.

Fear of missing out.

I gotta give credit to Nike/JB using social media to make us all thirsty, even for pairs that turn out to be bricks. First comes the 'leak' from an IG influencer, then comes "better pics", the word "limited" is thrown around here and there, some rapper is seen wearing it, and finally official pics are released. Gotta be cold blooded not to fall for that stuff.

If your truly in to this you will never completely stop. Slow down? yes. Pick and choose? yes. Ive retired a dozen times. There is always a release that brings you back.

This is a lifelong commitment for me

Been in the game since a kid, and I still get that exact same feeling I did Way back then when opening the shoe box to hold my fresh pair of newly purchased Air Jordans

The fact that there’s an abundance of Air Jordans I’ve never even owned in my lifetime but always wanted also ties in to the desire I have to remain in the game

Sure I may have other brands of shoes but nothing comes close to my adoration for Jordans

I’ll “retire” when my time on earth expires

I haven't bought a pair of Jordans for myself since 2015/2016. Last pair I actually bought was for my girl at the time. I'm more interested in interesting and new silhouettes now, which isn't JB's MO, so my purchases lean more towards Nike and Adidas.

I think this is a good year im buying concords and already bought black cements and hgg's. 3 purchases all year, easy to keep up with.

what i don't understand is the concept of "not buying what you like" because you decide to no longer buy shoes; that doesn't make sense; imo it's on par with buying a shoe because you like the brand and not the shoe

But the ****ery associated with it I've far removed myself from such as
  1. Camping overnight (Never did in the first place)
  2. Lining up 2 plus hours before a store/mall opens (guilty of it)
  3. Buying bots (Never did in the first place)
  4. Paying for early pairs (Almost pulled the trigger)
  5. Breaking the bank for resale pairs (guilty)
I try my best to wait for **** to go on sale but if I dont get it on release day without jumping through the hoops I'm over it

Those are literally all my rules as well.
-never "camped" or did the overnight/ghost chair/etc. thing
-lining 2 hours early was always my limit
-never messed with bots
-never bought an early pair
-never paid resell/above retail
Struck out on a pair? Get over it and move on with my life, ish will get re-re-retro'd eventually.

#greatminds

6b6I5EP.gif

Once camping became a thing I knew this wasn’t for me anymore. Good thing is I’m pretty simple and don’t want the majority of the stuff people wait days for. Most work I’ll do now is try on the apps. I don’t think I should work for the privilege to give Nike my money

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom