JB Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the release of some of the coveted colorways this year, how many folks are close to their JB retirement?

Already there. I’m 28

Bred 1s
Concord 11s
BC 3
Katrina 3
Candy cane 14s
Aqua 8s

That’s a wrap for me. Focusing on paying off my truck and buying a house. Sneakers were a fun (expensive) hobby for 16 years, but it’s time to lean out my closet and life a little bit.

Already there. I’m 28

Bred 1s
Concord 11s
BC 3
Katrina 3
Candy cane 14s
Aqua 8s

That’s a wrap for me. Focusing on paying off my truck and buying a house. Sneakers were a fun (expensive) hobby for 16 years, but it’s time to lean out my closet and life a little bit.

I dig it bruh. I'm in my 30s and I've been doing this a long time. It's always interesting to hear when folks are deciding to leave the game.

Man y’all been saying this for years, me included :lol:

I’m not ever going to retire but I’m down to a handful of must haves I ware to the point of needing another pair. Only a few Jordan models grab my attention now that I’m older. That hoarder life ain’t me no more granted some of the ones I do buy resale for a lot. All evens out I guess

just about there...gimme NA fire red 4s and the rest of the og 85 1 colorways in remastered form and i can ride off in the sunset

31 now and very close to full retirement...

Last pick up was the all star game stuff (infrareds, and turbos).

I’m really trying to focus my efforts on investing more, I own a couple of cribs already and would like to expand. It’s a struggle but I’m using the energy and resources I previously dedicated to sneakers on expanding my business/ portfolio.

Im 35 and im close to that point. I only need Bred 11s and maybe playoff 8s again and I have my full Jordan rotation set.

Don't think I will ever be out the game 100% , but now that I have 6 pair of my grails, i will only get the necessities. Military/Fire Red 4's, White Cement and Fire Red (If Done properly) 3's , Fire Red V's (only 3M tongue), OG Black/Charcoal 7's (Refuse to call them raptors since the team did not exist when they first came out) Cardinal 7's, Will get the Black/Red XI's and cool greys XI's, Playoff and Flint 13's. If these all came out within the next 2 years that would put me out of the game for a while until they all came back around again. That's why i say I will never be out 100%.

Honestly, I’ve come to terms that I’m a hoarder given that the VAST majority of my pairs are still DS. I enjoy collecting but it’s getting to the point of being impractical given that I live in one of the most expensive areas of the country (DC) and having a room or storage space full of DS sneakers isn’t a good use of real estate. There are pairs that I wear religiously like my Royal 1s but most of my pairs are gathering dust or glitter (in the case of AJ 1s) so I think I need to focus on downsizing my 200+ pairs in the next few years.

Honestly, I’ve come to terms that I’m a hoarder given that the VAST majority of my pairs are still DS. I enjoy collecting but it’s getting to the point of being impractical given that I live in one of the most expensive areas of the country (DC) and having a room or storage space full of DS sneakers isn’t a good use of real estate. There are pairs that I wear religiously like my Royal 1s but most of my pairs are gathering dust or glitter (in the case of AJ 1s) so I think I need to focus on downsizing my 200+ pairs in the next few years.

No bs fam I’ve been at that stage with collecting before and eventually I just realized it was wasteful. I get annoyed with myself just knowing that I have 1s literally molding in my closet before I’ve even had a chance to put them on feet.

My long term goal is to get the “perfect” collection of 50 sneakers that I can rotate through for the next decade. Even then I will have way too many shoes but at least everything can be worn.

true retirement never happens imo. you just find your niche and realize that you dont have to have everything.

for me, only some OG Jordans and air max 1s. AM1 iDs when they have good options and AM1 bespokes once a year. thats it

This is exatly whey they don't release every NA version from 3-6.. they do that and folks might legit pack it up.

im not retired but i have no desire to cop every single thing... i did slow down a ton and only cop a few pairs here and there... im only cop the must have OG colorways for the jays i dont got... sometimes i will make an exception though lol... need those cool grey 4s

Already there. I’m 28

Bred 1s
Concord 11s
BC 3
Katrina 3
Candy cane 14s
Aqua 8s

I've never really understood these types of threads and replies within them, and there have been a ton of them on NT over the years. How do you retire from sneakers? Literally NEVER buy another pair of Nikes or Jordans? You can have all the DS shoes you ever wanted sitting in your closet, but they won't last/be wearable forever. I suppose I can understand it more if you're just a true collector rather than someone who actually wears their shoes. I dunno, I just buy stuff I want, but keep it within reason. I've never seen any reason to have this absolute declaration like, "That's it, I officially will no longer buy sneakers!"
I also don't think this is really an expensive hobby unless you're one of these guys that buys 50 pairs per year. Looking at 2019 so far and for the rest of the year, I'll probably have bought about 10-12 pairs, including some doubles. That's about $2K. You'd be hard pressed to go on a week-long vacation once a year for that amount of money. Some years I've bought more, some years less. For me it all depends on what models/colorways release. True, even if you only spend $1k-$2K a year on sneakers, you could have done something else with that money. But that goes for pretty much anything anyone buys that isn't an absolute necessity for survival.

I've never really understood these types of threads and replies within them, and there have been a ton of them on NT over the years. How do you retire from sneakers? Literally NEVER buy another pair of Nikes or Jordans? You can have all the DS shoes you ever wanted sitting in your closet, but they won't last/be wearable forever. I suppose I can understand it more if you're just a true collector rather than someone who actually wears their shoes. I dunno, I just buy stuff I want, but keep it within reason. I've never seen any reason to have this absolute declaration like, "That's it, I officially will no longer buy sneakers!"
I also don't think this is really an expensive hobby unless you're one of these guys that buys 50 pairs per year. Looking at 2019 so far and for the rest of the year, I'll probably have bought about 10-12 pairs, including some doubles. That's about $2K. You'd be hard pressed to go on a week-long vacation once a year for that amount of money. Some years I've bought more, some years less. For me it all depends on what models/colorways release. True, even if you only spend $1k-$2K a year on sneakers, you could have done something else with that money. But that goes for pretty much anything anyone buys that isn't an absolute necessity for survival.
I think its more of a conversation thread than it is a literal one. I have said that I am done in the past also. But you really never are. Not if you are into this as much as we all are. No matter if you wear, collect, or both, there is still a reason your gonna want the NEXT version. May be a detail thats closer to the original, or your previous pair is simply shot. Without question Nike knows all this. And thats why they release and manipulate retros like they do. I too have a "bucket list" of Js I must have. To name them really dont matter in this specific statement. But the point is no matter how much you THINK your done, you never really are completely. Even if you buy one pair a year, your still hooked. Most of the time now the stuff I buy , is the shoe I already have. But the newer version is now better than the last. And thats whats keeps us coming back.

There will probably always be at least 1 or 2 Jordans a year I'll want to buy, so I don't think retirement is the right word to use. I'll almost always come out for the classics.

I am most definitely retired from hoarding shoes. I've only bought two pair of Jordans this year and only plan on buying one more for the rest of this year.

3128lo.gif

I think its more of a conversation thread than it is a literal one. I have said that I am done in the past also. But you really never are. Not if you are into this as much as we all are. No matter if you wear, collect, or both, there is still a reason your gonna want the NEXT version. May be a detail thats closer to the original, or your previous pair is simply shot. Without question Nike knows all this. And thats why they release and manipulate retros like they do. I too have a "bucket list" of Js I must have. To name them really dont matter in this specific statement. But the point is no matter how much you THINK your done, you never really are completely. Even if you buy one pair a year, your still hooked. Most of the time now the stuff I buy , is the shoe I already have. But the newer version is now better than the last. And thats whats keeps us coming back.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I just don't see a point to declaring, "I'm retired from buying sneakers." If it's really something someone has a passion for, it's pretty hard to stick to "retirement." And I just don't really see a reason behind it, recognizing that everyone is in a different position with different responsibilities. If it's because of the money, dial it back some.
This did cause me to take inventory of my 2019 purchases, though--both completed and upcoming purchases till year's end. I'll actually be at 14 pairs when 2019 is said and done. I added it all up and it comes to $2,504. Two of those pairs I got for free using gift cards, so I'm out-of-pocket $2,184. Actually about $2,392 after tax. So while that's not a small amount of money, I struggle to think of something I could have done with that same amount of cash that would amuse me/make me as happy as buying those sneakers did/does. Someone from, say, the Midwest, couldn't take a three day trip (traveling via air) to Disney World for that amount. If I didn't buy/plan to buy doubles of a few pairs this year, I would have saved $657 compared to what I did spend. That would mean I spent $1,735 for the year and still come out with a solid amount of bad *** sneakers LOL.
Point is, you can buy a fair amount of great shoes every year without spending thousands upon thousands of dollars. I've never been someone who bought every damn pair of shoes I liked. I think some people let themselves get out of control, then they feel guilty, then they start thinking, "I have to just quit buying shoes altogether." Just the other day, my girlfriend jokingly said, maybe you should work on having some self-restraint. I said, you have no idea--I DO exercise self control. Otherwise instead of a dozen pairs per year, give or take, I'd buy 35 pairs per year. Now THAT would be a problem :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom